I'm poor, what can I do with that money?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Dallas
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

I'm poor, what can I do with that money?

Post by Dallas »

After reading some posts on here, I have gained a bigger passion for science and how it can prove the Bible. I see you guys tend to mention a lot of reading materials to people, but here's the problem for me. My parents and I do not have the money to get any books because they have to pay bills, food, etc...

So where are a few sites that I can read to enhance my knowledge of science? I'm currently reading The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict. http://www.amazon.com/Evidence-Demands- ... 843&sr=8-1

What I want to focus on at the moment is the fallacies of evolution, and the truths. Then I want to read something relating to space, that's God related. I really don't care what, just something that's a good read, but very informal.
Then... I do not know what to read, you give me something. :P

P.s. Can someone tell me how to link in words :P

Thank you,

-Dallas
Vigilate super me Dominus

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: I'm poor, what can I do with that money?

Post by jlay »

The New Evidence is a great resource. You won't finish that quickly.

I know most here dispise Jason Lisle, but he does a good intro to pre-suppositional apologetics and exposing logical fallacies.
http://www.amazon.com/Discerning-Truth- ... d_cp_mov_2
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
wrain62
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by wrain62 »

Things Fall Apart

Above with added spaces:

[ url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Things_Fall_Apart ] Things Fall Apart [ /url ]
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

jlay wrote:The New Evidence is a great resource. You won't finish that quickly.

I know most here dispise Jason Lisle, but he does a good intro to pre-suppositional apologetics and exposing logical fallacies.
http://www.amazon.com/Discerning-Truth- ... d_cp_mov_2
I don't despise Jason Lisle. I often disagree with him however. I suspect more others here would say the same thing and object to being characterized as despising him. I often disagree with you on some things too jlay, but I hope you don't get the feeling that I despise you.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Dallas
Established Member

Post by Dallas »

There's one website I visit quite a lot.
http://theresurgence.com/

They have a lot of articles, and sermons that I like to listen too.

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.
CallMeDave
Valued Member

Post by CallMeDave »

Dallas wrote:After reading some posts on here, I have gained a bigger passion for science and how it can prove the Bible. I see you guys tend to mention a lot of reading materials to people, but here's the problem for me. My parents and I do not have the money to get any books because they have to pay bills, food, etc...

So where are a few sites that I can read to enhance my knowledge of science? I'm currently reading The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict. http://www.amazon.com/Evidence-Demands- ... 843&sr=8-1

What I want to focus on at the moment is the fallacies of evolution, and the truths. Then I want to read something relating to space, that's God related. I really don't care what, just something that's a good read, but very informal.
Then... I do not know what to read, you give me something. :P

P.s. Can someone tell me how to link in words :P

Thank you,

-Dallas
Go to http://www.amazon.com and get the great book called :' I dont have enough faith to be an atheist' by Geisler and Turek . This book is chock filled with what youre looking for and in a very logically presented manner for defending the Christian Faith while seeing just how utterly silly an atheistic worldview truly is in light of the scientific evidences we have today. Also in the same book, are apologetics for the existence of our personal theistic Creator, Jesus, his ressurection, fulfilled prophecy, miracles being possible, and the historical evidences for the New Testament being an extremely reliable literary work far greater than any other of antiquity. It is easy to read , comprehend, and remember and is my favorite all time source . A close second to that , is the book called 'Creation' by Grant Jeffries which shows indisputable scientific evidences for our Creator via cosmology, biology, and physics . Both can be had thru amazon and get a used copy of each book, cheap. In fact, last i checked, the 'Creation' book could be had for a few pennies plus shipping of $3.99 . If you digest the info from these two books, you will know far more than the average Christian or Atheist for that matter and be able to put to use the info to Gods glory and honor while building confidence in yourself. Also, do a google for live national seminars by the same title of : 'I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist' which Dr. Frank Turek puts on at universities and churches across the nation. They are free to attend and last a few hours in length.
"I never asserted such an absurd proposition, that something could arise without a Cause" -- staunch atheist Philosopher David Hume.

"What this world now needs is Christian love or compassion" -- staunch atheist Bertrand Russell.
CallMeDave
Valued Member

Post by CallMeDave »

Also, get the free online daily subscription to www.CreationMoments.com ... which is on creation topics in an easy to understand format .
Get the free monthly magazine called 'Acts and Facts' mailed to you from www.icr.org ... which always deals with the fallacy of macro evolution versus special creation ; this magazine is scholarly written by Physicists and some technical terms might required some dissecting.
"I never asserted such an absurd proposition, that something could arise without a Cause" -- staunch atheist Philosopher David Hume.

"What this world now needs is Christian love or compassion" -- staunch atheist Bertrand Russell.
Dallas
Established Member

Post by Dallas »

Is there any podcast on itunes that I can learn about science and God at the same time?

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Dallas wrote:Is there any podcast on itunes that I can learn about science and God at the same time?
Download the free app, "TuneIn Radio". Then search for whomever you want to listen to.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
wrain62
Valued Member

Post by wrain62 »

Dallas wrote:Is there any podcast on itunes that I can learn about science and God at the same time?
Rzim Ravi Zacharias international minitries ha a free app for podcasting.
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

A few recommendations.

Rzim (Ravi Zacharias' website)
William Lane Craig's website reasonablefaith.org
Reasons to Believe

For a skeptical look at evolution, one of the more interesting blogs I read occasionally is Darwin's God. He doesn't necessarily take a tone everyone will appreciate, but interesting stuff there regardless. You can also find portions of books and sometimes entire books online for free.

Off-topic, but I haven't read the book and have very little doubt that its very good, but I hate... Hate... HATE the title and subtitle of the book "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist". I believe it goes on to say "Why Christianity requires the LEAST amount of faith of any worldview". On the one hand, I think its true that any worldview requires faith and Christianity is the most likely scenario (by far I'd say, I don't personally think that there's even a remote chance that atheism is correct). But on the other hand, I think the title makes the mistake of excepting the atheist's definition of a faith as if its a bad thing that we should have as little of as possible. That's what the subtitle implies right, that having "less faith" would somehow be a good thing? No, faith is a great thing and an essential part of God's plans for our lives. So sorry for the rant, but I wish the book had a different title because its completely wrong-headed imo.
Young, Restless, Reformed