Is there a Reason?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Is there a Reason?

Post by Murray »

Is there a reason we do not learn about the Holodomor in school? Or in college?

It's insane, I even asked my IB history teacher about it and she had 0 idea what it was. It seems like the Armenian and Holodomor genocides are completely ignored, and its sad because upwards of 10 million Ukraine (mainly Christians) died in the Holodomor, and up to 3 million in Armenian. Just like the Holocaust, ruthless dictator views religion as a threat and goes to extremes to stop it. But 10 million people, just stop and think about that, that is nearly the same as the Holocaust death rate and it is never taught, studied, or even brought up.

And you want to hear something more crazy? Holodomor shows up as an incorrect spelling on my spell check. Maybe the intentional starvation of 10 million people in ghettos is not important to history.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Dallas
Established Member

Re: Is there a Reason?

Post by Dallas »

Murray wrote:Is there a reason we do not learn about the Holodomor in school? Or in college?

It's insane, I even asked my IB history teacher about it and she had 0 idea what it was. It seems like the Armenian and Holodomor genocides are completely ignored, and its sad because upwards of 10 million Ukraine (mainly Christians) died in the Holodomor, and up to 3 million in Armenian. Just like the Holocaust, ruthless dictator views religion as a threat and goes to extremes to stop it. But 10 million people, just stop and think about that, that is nearly the same as the Holocaust death rate and it is never taught, studied, or even brought up.

And you want to hear something more crazy? Holodomor shows up as an incorrect spelling on my spell check. Maybe the intentional starvation of 10 million people in ghettos is not important to history.

When did this take place? The only thing I've heard that wasn't in history text books was the attack on villages during WW2? From the United staes.
Vigilate super me Dominus

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

1932-1933

In a 1 year span 10 million Christians were starved to death or executed. Over a 20 year period of Stalin regime, the death toll is estimated at above 30 million.
Dallas
Established Member

Post by Dallas »

Murray wrote:1932-1933

In a 1 year span 10 million Christians were starved to death or executed. Over a 20 year period of Stalin regime, the death toll is estimated at above 30 million.
Was this in Russia?
Vigilate super me Dominus

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Dallas wrote:
Murray wrote:1932-1933

Was this in Russia?
USSR , yes,
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Never heard of this until today.. :oops:
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

10 million starved to death in a 1 year period of time. 30 million dead in 20 years from execution, famine, and disease. This is communism and what happens when the atheist dream of "a world without religion" is put into action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOEohr_2 ... re=related
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Holodowhat? Never heard of it.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

RickD wrote:Holodowhat? Never heard of it.
and that is the problem, 30 million dead, and not a peep from the history books.
Dudeacus97
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Dudeacus97 »

I just met some atheists on XBOX Live that deny the Holodomor. Yes, like some people deny the Holocaust. They also denied the Khemr Rogue and Chinese Cultural Revolution.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Dudeacus97 wrote:I just met some atheists on XBOX Live that deny the Holodomor. Yes, like some people deny the Holocaust. They also denied the Khemr Rogue and Chinese Cultural Revolution.
i'm surprised they've even heard of it. amazing what history books forget.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Murray wrote:Is there a reason we do not learn about the Holodomor in school? Or in college?

I assume the thinking process goes:
No reason NOT to learn about it in Russian history studies I guess, but why should it interest anyone else?
Most people do NOT learn about the chinese cultural revolution or the killing fields in Cambodia or the atrocities in the former Warsaw Pact countries
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

PaulSacramento wrote:

I assume the thinking process goes:
No reason NOT to learn about it in Russian history studies I guess, but why should it interest anyone else?
Most people do NOT learn about the chinese cultural revolution or the killing fields in Cambodia or the atrocities in the former Warsaw Pact countries

In global issues we actually had a section on genocide which covered a few less known genocides including the armenian and khmer rouge( if you consider that less well known); but not even a peep about the holodomor. we even had a list of like 100 genocides with pinpoints on a map of where they occurred, guess what? (i'm sure you guessed right)

Do atheist holodomor deniers write the history books or something?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think the ugly truth is that very few in the west care enough about happened in Russia.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Ukraine :P ussr was not just russia (sorry i'm a history freak)

But also a lot of christians died in the holocaust, especially in greece when the waffen SS executed probably over 500 eastern orthodox priests and a large number of EO christians. Not to mention they also burned the churches down.

And if i wasn't so much in a hurry to get to class i could tell you the name of the SS guard who took christians in the concentration camp, tied them to a cross naked and threw water on them in negative temperatures (ill get ya the name after i get back from class)