For me...

Post all your prayer requests and responses here.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: For me...

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

wrain62 wrote:My father raised me without ever forcing me to go to church. I was baptized at age 13. If I did not want to go he would respect it. Even after he became pastor again. It worked reverse psychology on me and now I actually like going to church. Tell your child that you would respect their decision to choose their position on belief. It was not going to church or following social rules that helped me to be crhistian, but instead his and my mother's lifestyle. I know it can be a problem when children are corraled to their belief without them knowing and some of my friends resent christianity because of it. By my testamony I think the lifestyle I observe in my parents outweighs anything about having a religious life in terms of living the religious life. Congragultions I will pray for fruit in your marriage. :wave:

I was forced to go to church and i hated it sometimes especially when i wasn't well.
I am raising my kids in the way you have described, i ask if they want to go and if they say no i respect their decision.
Haven't seen you in awhile St. Monica but i will continue to pray.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

Hello friends, I've been thinking about posting in the last few weeks but have been so busy (and even was away). Things are...okay. Some things are just the same as before (he still acts arrogantly and as a "know-it-all") says that Christianity can't even stand up to the smallest criticisms, that I don't take the bible literally, etc etc. and its very hurtful.

The issue that I have with my religion is that, as many of you know, I'm Catholic, and I have no problem with religion and do my best to not be a hypocrite. My husband had so much disdain for ANYTHING religious (or even related to God at all) he wanted nothing to do with it, and absolutely didnt want our children even learning of it. Please, please continue praying. He says things that are unacceptable and borders on childish and its so very hurtful. I just pray that God heals the damage that's done so I don't resent him for any of it.
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Hi St Monica

Welcome back, I am sorry to hear that things have not improved much, I know how hard it is as I am in a similar situation.
I will keep praying for you sister.

Dan
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Hi Dan :)

I'll keep you in my prayers, too. It's hard, isnt it? Must be why Christ suggested the "opposing yolk" rule...saves us from heartache. How parent-like, isn't it? Here's a suggestion on how to live so you won't hurt needlessly. Such is love and such is Christ.
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Hi St Mon

I have often looked at those verses and thought the exact same thing. You can also say the same thing about sin, that is very parent like because he knows that it will eventually hurt us.

Dan
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

So, so very true Dan :) It's such an easy metaphor to use to explain the loving nature of God, but then it's so easily rejected because...well...maybe it's TOO easy? :P

If I could perhaps call upon this wonderful prayer squadron one more time? I'm in the market for a new job as my contract just ended. Looking for something that's permanent this time around and ASAP!!!! Thanks all, and you're all still in my daily prayers! :D
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

StMonicaGuideMe wrote:So, so very true Dan :) It's such an easy metaphor to use to explain the loving nature of God, but then it's so easily rejected because...well...maybe it's TOO easy? :P

If I could perhaps call upon this wonderful prayer squadron one more time? I'm in the market for a new job as my contract just ended. Looking for something that's permanent this time around and ASAP!!!! Thanks all, and you're all still in my daily prayers! :D
Sure thing St. Mon you got my prayers.
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Well that was incredibly fast. I've got a very promising interview lined up tomorrow!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

StMonicaGuideMe wrote:Well that was incredibly fast. I've got a very promising interview lined up tomorrow!
StMon, if that interview doesn't get you a job, you could always become a Mormon. I heard they look out for each other, and help each other with finding jobs. And, I also heard that if you're a Mormon, you get your own planet when you die. :roll:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

StMonica wrote:
The issue that I have with my religion is that, as many of you know, I'm Catholic, and I have no problem with religion and do my best to not be a hypocrite. My husband had so much disdain for ANYTHING religious (or even related to God at all) he wanted nothing to do with it, and absolutely didnt want our children even learning of it. Please, please continue praying. He says things that are unacceptable and borders on childish and its so very hurtful. I just pray that God heals the damage that's done so I don't resent him for any of it.
StMon, did someone claiming to be a Christian, hurt your husband when he was a child? From what you say, it seems like he's harboring some very strong resentment for someone, and he's associating religion with that hatred.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Hey Rick,

My theory is this: his parents are both fallen away Catholics and he always, and I mean always, resented Catholicism because I think he was indoctrinated into doing so (at least by one of them). He's never taken my faith seriously, even when he was a Christian. He chose to be baptized as a teenager, so if it was childhood hurt, I think he wouldn't have chosen baptism for himself. Now, he just hates the idea of religion, period. He has all of the typical messed up sentiments about it, and believes he's so beyond the "need for archaic explanations of the world". I think that initial indoctrination against Catholics opened the door for everything else. The way he described his "descent" from the faith is the same as any other atheist -- it's completely based on irrational emotions and a lack of understanding of the religious material, so any manipulation of it seems to be some cataclysmic epiphany about how wrong it is!
He opened up this entire issue with "do you know how many contradictions are in the Bible?". So, I gave him that great book by Paul Copan to read, and he refuses to. What does that tell you?

And ROFL about Mormonism :P Eh, I'd only be interested in that if the planet was like, Endor...or something.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

StMonica, I can tell you that all the arguments for God, wouldn't have gotten me to believe. I saw the Holy Spirit at work in my Mom, and that was real for me. Your husband sounds very skeptical, like me. The way God changed my Mom, showed me He was real. I know it must be difficult, but are you still loving him, and not beating him over the head, and judging him? If you are open to see what God is showing you, keep in prayer, and God will lead you. As difficult as this is.

-Edward R Murrow

StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Definitely not doing any of those things. When he argues with me about God, or says that the Christian God cannot possibly exist by our explanations of him, etc etc, I do my best to remain patient and gentle, and always praying God's working through me completely in those moments. I have faith in St. Paul's words -- he will come around.

On the note of work -- I was offered the job today! I cannot believe how quickly this happened. The night before I found/applied for the position, I asked St. Jude for an intervention, as he's the master of all things hopeless (and it was becoming that for me). The next *day* I found it, applied for it, and was asked within an hour of applying, to come for an interview the following day. I went, and today I'm offered the position. I cannot believe this. It's quite miraculous! Thank you all for your prayers, also!
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

StMonicaGuideMe wrote:Definitely not doing any of those things. When he argues with me about God, or says that the Christian God cannot possibly exist by our explanations of him, etc etc, I do my best to remain patient and gentle, and always praying God's working through me completely in those moments. I have faith in St. Paul's words -- he will come around.

On the note of work -- I was offered the job today! I cannot believe how quickly this happened. The night before I found/applied for the position, I asked St. Jude for an intervention, as he's the master of all things hopeless (and it was becoming that for me). The next *day* I found it, applied for it, and was asked within an hour of applying, to come for an interview the following day. I went, and today I'm offered the position. I cannot believe this. It's quite miraculous! Thank you all for your prayers, also!
Congrats on the new job StMon, that's wonderful.

I would just tone it down with the intercession thingamagiggies. Not very popular around here. y>:D<
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

That is awesome to see God working in your life, congrats on the new job.

Dan