Why can't the argument go this way?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
spartanII
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Why can't the argument go this way?

Post by spartanII »

Why can't the argument be

If Gods don't exist then objective morality doesn't exist.

Objective morality does exist

Therefore Gods exist.

Why does it have to be one singular God?

I know people like WLC are defending one God so of course it'd be one God to him, but what stops the argument from being polytheistic and just as rational if a believer of polytheism is trying to make the claim?

Also, I don't understand how one can be deistic and at the same time think there are objective morals.
Didn't Plato say once that if there are objective morals then God HAS to be personal.
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Why can't the argument go this way?

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

spartanII wrote:Objective morality does exist

Therefore Gods exist.

Why does it have to be one singular God?
Perhaps because God has singleness of mind (Dt 6:4).* Several gods would have differing opinions on morality.

FL

*...and Dt 6:4 is itself a good indication that God is One because He says so!
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

OM only makes sense in a monotheistic sense.

If you study polytheistic religions you quickly learn that the gods are arbitrary, emotional, limited, and replete with faults including moral failures. Basically amplified humans.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
spartanII
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by spartanII »

jlay wrote:OM only makes sense in a monotheistic sense.

If you study polytheistic religions you quickly learn that the gods are arbitrary, emotional, limited, and replete with faults including moral failures. Basically amplified humans.
That was what i was thinking. That, and objective morality only comes from a single source. Not multiple sources, right? But how do i make that axiomatic? That, and my friend told me that within a Buddhist religion, or Hindu religion, the individual is still the ultimate authority. So he/she chooses what is right/wrong. So morals, within that system, are still subjective.
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by narnia4 »

I think you could definitely argue that OM only makes sense under monotheism and not polytheism, but even if you couldn't its not too big of a deal imo. Establish that theism is correct, and there are other arguments out there that can show that there is not (or cannot be) multiple "capital G" Gods.
Young, Restless, Reformed