Why is the internet so aggressively Atheist?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Ryan
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Why is the internet so aggressively Atheist?

Post by Ryan »

Just about everywhere I go there is a crusade against religion, especially Christianity. I could understand if it was intelligent debates, but it's ignorant 15 year olds misquoting scripture, calling God for Genocides, saying Christians are intolerant, hateful, etc... Everything that is said is just factually wrong. I heard today that apparently Christmas isn't and never has been a religion holiday because atheists have always celebrated it. CHRISTmas was never a religious holiday? Yeah, ok bud.

Their logic is flawed also. So many atheists call for us to keep our view to ourselves, then turn around in the same sentence and start bashing Christianity. I don't understand the logic of asking for tolerance then making an intolerant statement.

It seems to be a growing trend to the point where if religion is even hinted at, I stay out of the thread. It's not worth it to get so worked up when you can't reason with them.

It's to the point where when I have children, I worry what influences they will experience. I've grown up with the internet and I've seen the trend grow and how unfounded it is, but it makes me worry for other people.
MarcusOfLycia

Re: Why is the internet so aggressively Atheist?

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

I would wager that the internet provides a few things people couldn't get away with in real life:

1. An equally large voice on every topic (despite comprehension and knowledge)
2. Anonymity
3. A place to absorb all of their time

With all the time people have to spend online (thanks to our technology and the amount of things to see and do on the internet), I think many people lose focus on their priorities. There were periods in history when we didn't have as much exposure to this much information 24/7. There was a time when people had time to think. With that gone, I think a lot of people have forgotten about their innermost needs (perhaps this is why families are falling apart, people are going severely into debt, and mental health issues are rising).

Anonymity allows people to shed every good and decent thing about their character 'in real life' and become monsters of human beings. Venom seems to flow abundently from people who never feel they need to answer for what they say. I've got some atheist acquaintences who say things that in person would probably result in the cessation of every friendship they have. Online? Its expected, ignored, and sometimes approved. Its a terrible curse, I think.

In addition, no one needs to have any knowledge to comment on a topic. Credibility is secondary to the amount of time one has to spread what they have to say. Is it any wonder the Youtube comment sections are filled to the brim with atheistic accusations, but when you go out on a typical day to the mall or a social place you hear people talking about families, friends, jobs, and other things? In reality, people talk about the things they know about. Online, people talk about whatever makes them feel good. Unfortunately, hurting and offending other people gives some sort of joy to people.

Those are my thoughts anyway.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
wrain62
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by wrain62 »

ThunderFoot has thousands or hundreds of thousands of people liking his anti-religion and pro-reason videos. They call themselves PEARLists now, with the meaning Physical Evidence and Reasoned Logic or something like that.The videos are scary to any religious internet rookie; yeah this guy is basically the embodiment of this movement.

Oh and Marcus of Lycia nice post; Fire Emblem FTW.
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

MarcusOfLycia wrote:Anonymity allows people to shed every good and decent thing about their character 'in real life' and become monsters of human beings. Venom seems to flow abundently from people who never feel they need to answer for what they say. I've got some atheist acquaintences who say things that in person would probably result in the cessation of every friendship they have. Online? Its expected, ignored, and sometimes approved. Its a terrible curse, I think.
That is spot-on, and I think it is starting to invade our culture in general...people are saying things in real life too as if there are no consequences, because online, there rarely is.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

wrain62 wrote:ThunderFoot has thousands or hundreds of thousands of people liking his anti-religion and pro-reason videos. They call themselves PEARLists now, with the meaning Physical Evidence and Reasoned Logic or something like that.The videos are scary to any religious internet rookie; yeah this guy is basically the embodiment of this movement.

Oh and Marcus of Lycia nice post; Fire Emblem FTW.
That guy being so popular just shows how philosophically bankrupt the atheist movement is. Even the name, how do unconscious creatures "reason", why does logic work, for what reason should we trust physical evidence? Hard scientism is simply rampant among atheists these days, and yet its SELF-REFUTING. But they can't see it. The guy is a mess with his philosophy, so he fits right in.

Yeah I think Marcus pretty much nailed it. Its the anonymity. People able to voice opinions that "real life" people aren't going to appreciate. To be able to mock and ridicule faith. And one person can sound "louder" the angrier they are. Get two or three and it can feel like a majority.

And frankly and unfortunately, the atheists have simply been more interested in putting their opinions out there and getting involved. The statistics speak for themselves, if everyone who called themselves Christians watched apologetic videos the views on apologetic videos on youtube would outnumber the views of atheistic videos ten to one. Instead its the other way around. But sometimes with minority positions that's how it happened, sometimes it feels like everyone on the internet is a 9/11 conspiracy theorist as well even though that's a fringe position in reality. The minority gathers together better, like a small pack of wolves picking on a big, scattered herd of sheep. Now if you look at things like Christian music videos or comedy bits, things that don't attract atheists like defending Christianity... well, those videos have plenty of views and lots of likes. To me that definitely shows that the atheists just gang up together better than Christians do and raid all the videos that address these topics.

With that said, I feel like there is a small but bright band of Christians that has been growing slowly but steadily. Its not common enough, but its pretty common now for me to see two or three Christians with training simply demolishing atheistic arguments on various internet forums. On some big sites like youtube with a terrible commenting system, the few intelligent voices are drowned out by hateful comments and insults and ANTI-reason, but imo things seem to be improving a little bit.
Young, Restless, Reformed
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

wrain62 wrote:Oh and Marcus of Lycia nice post; Fire Emblem FTW.
Still one of my favorites :D
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Ryan
Acquainted Member

Post by Ryan »

MarcusOfLycia wrote:
wrain62 wrote:Oh and Marcus of Lycia nice post; Fire Emblem FTW.
Still one of my favorites :D
I didn't even notice that! I love Fire Emblem. Harken was my favorite