Christopher Hitchens passed away

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
ROBE
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Christopher Hitchens passed away

Post by ROBE »

The weird thing is his brother Peter is the oposite, he is an ardent believer in God.
CeT-To
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by CeT-To »

narnia4 wrote:Well first, one of the greatest minds of our times is really, really a stretch. I think some of these people are forgetting that even many atheists admitted that Hitchens was demolished by Craig in their debate, he's been demolished by others. He wasn't a professional in theology and lacked knowledge in many of the areas that you need knowledge in if you want to be taken seriously by people who DO know what they're talking about. Now what he did have was lots of wit and an entertaining writing style and a personality that, while not necessarily coming off as a "great guy" on a lot of levels, made him likeable even to those who vehemently disagreed with him. That's what excellent writing does to you though, I've read his stuff and disagreed with almost every word but still actually enjoyed it as pleasurable reading. I can hardly imagine even those who agree with Dawkins actually enjoying him because he's, frankly, an egotistical, narcissistic, bore and crummy human being (to put it nicely).

But since I'm being honest in this post... I have mixed feelings. On the one hand its true that he may have served to sharpen the minds and get some apologists to wake up and see that's its a hostile mind and learn how to deal with faulty thinking. Its also a tragic event, the death of a person who is going to spend eternity apart from God by his own choice unless he repented in his final days/hours/minutes. But on the other hand, this is a man who has planted seeds in the minds of young Christians (or at least theists raised in Christian homes) who were still on milk and didn't know any better. He spent much of his life fighting to turn people away from God and while there was obviously a choice involved for each individual, he succeeded many times. So I don't want to understate the horrible things he has done, from a Christian perspective it could easily be seen as worse than murder.
Great comment Narnia, the last sentence really made me think and feel the gravity of truth of what you have wrote about being easily worse than murderers.

God bless
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

ROBE wrote:The weird thing is his brother Peter is the oposite, he is an ardent believer in God.
The bible definitely speaks to the division in a family :ewink: At least he may have been saved through the prayers of his brother!

And I agree with you, Narnia. He had much power and influence and used it with malicious intent. Though I don't think he was as bad as Dawkins (I have very, very, very strong dislike for him because I'm not allowed to hate as a Christian.... :crazymad:) he still did considerable damage. I'm sort of glad news of his death isn't being reported in our part of the world too much. That's all we'd need is some kind of atheist uproar before Christmas :pound:
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
spartanII
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by spartanII »

I thought about it for a while today... I'd say Hitchens is a great great orator. I mean... to get up on stage and to say all he says and it be purely opinion based takes not only a lot of courage but a lot of big words, and you can't forget the British Accent. No, really... I'm going to miss Hitchens. He was a very mean person at times but I liked how he wasn't doing it as just crowd pleasing. The man was a troubled soul but there's something about him rather than the other 3 Atheistic Horsemen that makes him stick out.
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

spartanII wrote:I thought about it for a while today... I'd say Hitchens is a great great orator. I mean... to get up on stage and to say all he says and it be purely opinion based takes not only a lot of courage but a lot of big words, and you can't forget the British Accent. No, really... I'm going to miss Hitchens. He was a very mean person at times but I liked how he wasn't doing it as just crowd pleasing. The man was a troubled soul but there's something about him rather than the other 3 Atheistic Horsemen that makes him stick out.
That unlike them, he wasn't a sadistic bigot who at the depth of his heart wants Christians slaughtered like during the Roman times? :D
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".