Why do many christians not like homosexuals?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Why do many christians not like homosexuals?

Post by jlay »

Sure Murray, but what if you forget to do that one day? Is your salvation revoked or conditional on how disciplined you are in this regard?

I get the impression that Stmon is placing a works based system of confession upon salvation.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

I didn't say anything but what I do when I pray, Not even in this little debate
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

jlay wrote:Stmon.,

What if a believer has forgotten a sin they committed? Are you saying they won't be forgiven? Or that forgiveness is dependent on one reforming their life?
God will know if they've truly forgotten -- he knows our hearts. That is why, when we ask for forgiveness of ALL of our sins, that includes those we may have forgotten due to our human weaknesses and memories. This doesn't mean that we can purposefully omit them though, which I'm sure you know.
Even God can't forgive us if we don't let him ;) Not by faith alone will we be saved, the Bible says. Works + faith = salvation. We can't just give God lip service and do whatever we want.
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Not by faith alone will we be saved, the Bible says. Works + faith = salvation.
StMonica, could you please tell me where the bible says this?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Widge
Recognized Member

Post by Widge »

RickD wrote:
The Bible does not say we need to do works to be saved. That is the point of Jesus Christ dying for our sins
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

RickD wrote:
It doesn't.

It says "Faith without works is dead." But works without faith are... not even works. Our faith is shown for what it truly is by our works, but the works are an outpouring; a symptom of faith.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Right, I was paraphrasing into an equation :P I think faith alone is like paying lip service to God. Sure having faith in of itself is okay, but if it's TRUE faith, it will come out in what we do; our actions towards our family members, ourselves, our friends, our co-workers, etc. By our actions we shall be known, and to be known as a follower of Christ, we can't just "give it lip service".

So then, in this case, someone acting out their homosexual inclinations in total abandon really has to consider whether or not they're a Christian.
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Right, I was paraphrasing into an equation I think faith alone is like paying lip service to God. Sure having faith in of itself is okay, but if it's TRUE faith, it will come out in what we do; our actions towards our family members, ourselves, our friends, our co-workers, etc. By our actions we shall be known, and to be known as a follower of Christ, we can't just "give it lip service".
Thanks for clarifying what you said, for me StMonica. :D
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

My pleasure! Sorry I wasn't clear enough to begin with >.<
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

StMonicaGuideMe wrote:My pleasure! Sorry I wasn't clear enough to begin with >.<
I'd rather be sure of what you meant, than assume something you didn't mean. :D

-Edward R Murrow

StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Quite logical, my friend, quite logical ;)
Widge
Recognized Member

Post by Widge »

If we have to work to get saved we may as well be a Muslim
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Works in Christianity are not absolved if you just believed in Jesus. You have to obey God and his commandments, keep them and hold your faith and faith certainly require works to be complete faith, rather than lip services.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Widge
Recognized Member

Post by Widge »

neo-x wrote:
Works in Christianity are not absolved if you just believed in Jesus. You have to obey God and his commandments, keep them and hold your faith and faith certainly require works to be complete faith, rather than lip services.
Not works love. Works do not get you saved. Jesus dying for our sins does. What are works anyway? Spouting hate about Gay people?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Not works love. Works do not get you saved. Jesus dying for our sins does. What are works anyway? Spouting hate about Gay people?
That's really naive of you. Love is no love if it is not in action, so work will have to be the medium, still, a work is an act. How else do you show your love, without action?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com