Did I kill him? In the right forum I hope this time

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Did I kill him? In the right forum I hope this time

Post by ultimate777 »

I may have unintenionally put the below in an inappropriate forum, what do you want for 5 A.M.? :pound:

This is a hypothetical question loosely based on a movie I just saw that I may never forget, the 1946 version of "The Razor's Edge." Has some interesting religious angles. They are not offensive IMHO, honestly I highly recommend it.

Suppose I was in a romantic triangle. The other guy was a recovering alchoholic. I trick him into going on a binge. While out of my sight on it he gets murdered. The lady in the case finds out about it and tells me I killed him. Would she be right?

Reminds me of James A. Garfield, Dr. Doctor Willard Bliss, and the guy who shot Garfield.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Did I kill him? In the right forum I hope this time

Post by DannyM »

ultimate777 wrote:Suppose I was in a romantic triangle. The other guy was a recovering alchoholic. I trick him into going on a binge. While out of my sight on it he gets murdered. The lady in the case finds out about it and tells me I killed him. Would she be right?
No. :)
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Dannym, I think I agree with you, but when Gene Tierney asked Tyrone Power if "they" knew who killed Anne Baxter, and he told her that we already know who killed her........

Report this postReply with quoteRe: Did I kill him? In the right forum I hope this time
by DannyM on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:42 am

ultimate777 wrote:
Suppose I was in a romantic triangle. The other guy was a recovering alchoholic. I trick him into going on a binge. While out of my sight on it he gets murdered. The lady in the case finds out about it and tells me I killed him. Would she be right?

No.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Guity of perpetuating his alcholic behavior but not murder, how could you know that was the eventuality.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

ultimate777 wrote:Dannym, I think I agree with you, but when Gene Tierney asked Tyrone Power if "they" knew who killed Anne Baxter, and he told her that we already know who killed her........
At the very best it would be manslaughter.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

DannyM wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:Dannym, I think I agree with you, but when Gene Tierney asked Tyrone Power if "they" knew who killed Anne Baxter, and he told her that we already know who killed her........

DannyM I agree with you but I sure hope a lot of people get into this. I suppose not enough people have seen the movie to discuss it :( Clifton Webb and Anne Baxter scored Oscars. Webb in particular was excellent, particulary the death scene. Was he saved or not, you might wonder y:-?
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

ultimate777 wrote:
DannyM wrote:

DannyM I agree with you but I sure hope a lot of people get into this. I suppose not enough people have seen the movie to discuss it :( Clifton Webb and Anne Baxter scored Oscars. Webb in particular was excellent, particulary the death scene. Was he saved or not, you might wonder y:-?
Haven't seen the film. Just taking the hypothetical on its own merits. :)
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

People, hunt it down and watch it.

Anyhow the hypothetical standing alone is worthwhile.
KOGnition
Familiar Member

Post by KOGnition »

I gotta check out this movie now. Sounds thought provoking.

The devil is in the details (as they say).
When I "tricked" him into going on that binge, did I do so hoping that something bad would happen to him? Maybe even hoping he would get murdered? Did I trick him near a shooting gallery or Bear pit at the zoo? I wouldn't call it murder but it is very telling about my character if I was to be like:
"Hey, lets go get drunk at the fluffy bunny convention!"
or:
"Hey, lets go get drunk in a dark alley in the murder capitol of the world!"

I'd say no, she is not accurate in accusing the "trickster" of murder in that circumstance. But there's definitely some sort of degree of lust, envy, and wrath going on in this individuals heart. Like I said, I gotta check this flick out. Thanks!
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

I'm kind of a movie buff and familiar with all the names you mentioned (at least a few here should be familiar with Anne Baxter from The Ten Commandments. but I actually haven't seen that one. Heard of it though.

Manslaughter would probably be what you come up with at worst, but it depends on the exact situation. Did you contract someone to kill him or something, did you trick him into binge drinking in the hope that he would die somehow? Or was there some other reason and there just happened to be a murder you didn't know about? If that were the case it'd be hard to get in too much trouble.
Young, Restless, Reformed
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

narnia4 wrote:I'm kind of a movie buff and familiar with all the names you mentioned (at least a few here should be familiar with Anne Baxter from The Ten Commandments. but I actually haven't seen that one. Heard of it though.

Manslaughter would probably be what you come up with at worst, but it depends on the exact situation. Did you contract someone to kill him or something, did you trick him into binge drinking in the hope that he would die somehow? Or was there some other reason and there just happened to be a murder you didn't know about? If that were the case it'd be hard to get in too much trouble.

Let's say I desperately wanted the woman for myself. She had gone to great lengths to get the guy to clean up his act before falling in love with him. However it was obvious he really still had the urge big time. I wanted him to be dumped big time by her, not have him die. I tricked him into drinking alone and after that I only found out he wandered off and got himself killed when the woman so informed me and accused me after my guilt made me tell the truth which was not in the origional plan. There was no possibility of the law coming into it. Seemingly the only penalty might be a guilty conscience and the reproach of the woman. I thought this was a religious forum, not a legal one ;)
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

In the movie the genders were reversed. Gene Tierney "tricked" Annie Baxter. Tyrone Power was the guy. I said the hypothecal was loosely based on the movie. Since I'm a guy.........
Grizz_1
Familiar Member

Post by Grizz_1 »

Well lets see what your guilty of... You admit:
I desperately wanted the woman for myself
Selfishness.
I tricked him into drinking alone
Deceitfulness.

And while you did not kill him directly, because of your Selfishness and Deceitfulness you did cause his death. Morally you are responsible for his death. If you had not done what you did he would not have died. Legally? No clue.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

So Tyrone Power was right in strongly implying Gene Tierney killed (not neccessarily murdered) Anne Baxter?

Kind of reminds me of this: http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/who-killed-davey-moore

And the death of President James A. Garfield except in those two cases combined likely only Guiteau had as much malice as Gene Tierney. Of course, he had much more.