Does God have limits?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Does God have limits?

Post by ultimate777 »

One of the things I have always been fascinated by is people saying "I can't" when all they mean is "I won't."
It's a long story but in a serious situation I once called somebody out on that and I have never forgotten it.
Can God do anything he wants to, and if not why not?
Echoside
Valued Member

Re: Does God have limits?

Post by Echoside »

ultimate777 wrote:One of the things I have always been fascinated by is people saying "I can't" when all they mean is "I won't."
It's a long story but in a serious situation I once called somebody out on that and I have never forgotten it.
Can God do anything he wants to, and if not why not?
The basic answer is that God can do anyTHING. So challenges like "can God create a square circle" are meaningless as they are not things, in fact just pure nonsense. So I'd say it's within God's power to do basically anything logically possible, which honestly covers just about every option outside of going against his nature, or the example above.
wrain62
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by wrain62 »

Q: God can´t do evil. The God of the bible is a God of holiness. Holiness is the opposite of evil. Does this limit his actions?

A: I would say no. Think about evil. It is the way to acheive power of some kind without deserving it. More than that, it always involves wordly treasures. The God of the bible is above this.
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
kmr
Valued Member

Post by kmr »

God is capable of doing anything he wants to do, and if that means rewriting the laws of logic to make a square circle then yes (I suppose). To say God is incapable of going against his nature opens up a gap for fallacy in itself.... the fact that God doesn't go against his nature displays that God is perfect, and capable of doing what he wants. He doesn't go against his nature not because he is incapable but for the opposite reason, because he is perfect. At least, to me.
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

God has "self-imposed" limits, for lack of a better word.
God can't, if can't is the right word, do anything that is against His nature or against the "logic" that is God.
Ryan
Acquainted Member

Post by Ryan »

wrain62 wrote:Q: God can´t do evil. The God of the bible is a God of holiness. Holiness is the opposite of evil. Does this limit his actions?

A: I would say no. Think about evil. It is the way to acheive power of some kind without deserving it. More than that, it always involves wordly treasures. The God of the bible is above this.

In response to that question I would say that evil doesn't exist as a thing that can be "done" necessarily.

Evil is the absence of God.

I read an article that compared it to light to dark and cold to hot.

There can be infinite brightness, something can always get brighter, but when something is totally dark, it can't get darker. If there is no light, you can't make it darker, because you would have to remove more light. Making dark, in reality just an absence of light.

Hot and cold are the same. Something can always get hotter. But cold goes to absolute zero, which is complete absence of heat. You can't get colder than that limit. Dark and cold don't really exist as things, they are terms of convenience.

Now look at evil. Evil is the absence of God. Since God is 100% God, he cannot commit evil. But since evil is not an act, but an absence of good, it does not limit God.
wrain62
Valued Member

Post by wrain62 »

Ryan wrote:
wrain62 wrote:Q: God can´t do evil. The God of the bible is a God of holiness. Holiness is the opposite of evil. Does this limit his actions?

In response to that question I would say that evil doesn't exist as a thing that can be "done" necessarily.

There can be infinite brightness, something can always get brighter, but when something is totally dark, it can't get darker. If there is no light, you can't make it darker, because you would have to remove more light. Making dark, in reality just an absence of light.

Hot and cold are the same. Something can always get hotter. But cold goes to absolute zero, which is complete absence of heat. You can't get colder than that limit. Dark and cold don't really exist as things, they are terms of convenience.

Now look at evil. Evil is the absence of God. Since God is 100% God, he cannot commit evil. But since evil is not an act, but an absence of good, it does not limit God.
This can get very deep.
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

Great comment Ryan!
kmr wrote:God is capable of doing anything he wants to do, and if that means rewriting the laws of logic to make a square circle then yes (I suppose). To say God is incapable of going against his nature opens up a gap for fallacy in itself.... the fact that God doesn't go against his nature displays that God is perfect, and capable of doing what he wants. He doesn't go against his nature not because he is incapable but for the opposite reason, because he is perfect. At least, to me.
I don;t think God can do the logically impossible - then that would give God the ability to exist and not exist at the same time LOL which is pure nonsense. God cannot go against his nature but that's not a limit, God's nature is the expression of who God is! of course he is has the power to go against his nature but his self restriction makes it so it is impossible.
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

wrain62 wrote:
Ryan wrote:

This can get very deep.
No, it really is that simple.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.