The Screwtape Letters ..funny?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
CeT-To
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

The Screwtape Letters ..funny?

Post by CeT-To »

I've just finished reading the book by C.S. Lewis 'The Screwtape letters" and upon looking at the reviews like on amazon and even snippets on the play of the book - that some people find this a funny book. I didn't find the book funny at all - i found it it be very umm eye opening... the fact that i felt like i was the "patient" in the book, going through the same things and the same types of sins and distractions etc etc etc myself in my christian walk. I'm actually sorta surprised with a mix of worrisome of how spot on C.S. Lewis was in the book about the sins, distractions and everything that turns us away from God. The last thing i found this book to be is funny.. sure this book had some tiny funny parts if any at all.. but definitely i found this book to be quite dark. Obviously im not talking about the demonology or whatever - more on the experience that the "patient" was going through and how deceived people are, even the way he described what the demons do to lead us astray i have to admit .

Anyway has anyone come across this as strange - to find the book funny ? Or am i taking the book too seriously?

God bless!
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The Screwtape Letters ..funny?

Post by DannyM »

CeT-To wrote:I've just finished reading the book by C.S. Lewis 'The Screwtape letters" and upon looking at the reviews like on amazon and even snippets on the play of the book - that some people find this a funny book. I didn't find the book funny at all - i found it it be very umm eye opening... the fact that i felt like i was the "patient" in the book, going through the same things and the same types of sins and distractions etc etc etc myself in my christian walk. I'm actually sorta surprised with a mix of worrisome of how spot on C.S. Lewis was in the book about the sins, distractions and everything that turns us away from God. The last thing i found this book to be is funny.. sure this book had some tiny funny parts if any at all.. but definitely i found this book to be quite dark. Obviously im not talking about the demonology or whatever - more on the experience that the "patient" was going through and how deceived people are, even the way he described what the demons do to lead us astray i have to admit .

Anyway has anyone come across this as strange - to find the book funny ? Or am i taking the book too seriously?
Great isn't it? I've got the book ordered again and can't wait to read it all the way to the end. What is "funny" about the book?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I would say there are funny parts, but on a whole it is more disturbing when you see how easily in your own life these occurances and thoughts are happening.
I thoroughly enjoyed the book and like you say it was an eye opener, i know can see when i am being influenced by satan ( most of the time ) and can stamp out these thoughts and motivations better now.
Your friend in Christ
Daniel
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Grizz_1
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Grizz_1 »

I would agree that some parts are funny. But it is quite serious. I read it a long time ago and just finished listing to the audiobook. The audio version is fantastic! I would recommend it highly. Listening to the Voice of ole uncle Screwtape is an experience. :)
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

I wonder fi you are seeing the difference between reviewers who have discernment, believers, and reviewers without....maybe unbelievers? It's amazing how many people can read the narnia books and not see any Christian imagery.

No, I don't find it funny, immensely powerful, sad at times, and Lewis is always sometimes acerbic.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"