Hello

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Hello

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Jesus made some pretty big claims, i guess there are really only 3 options either he was who he said he was, he was a liar or he was delusional.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Johnny916
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Post by Johnny916 »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Jesus made some pretty big claims, i guess there are really only 3 options either he was who he said he was, he was a liar or he was delusional.
What do you mean? As I mentioned earlier "Jesus is Jesus". It's how you view Jesus that matters. I can not claim Jesus is this or that. That is like saying another figure was who he said he was, he was a lair, or delusional. I just respect the views of others and see what they believe. I'm pretty connected with my Jewish faith.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Well you said we could ask you questions, what Jesus had to say was pretty well documented by the apostles and by the Romans and the Jewish community and that was the reason he was put to death for the claims he was making, so either he was who he said he was, he was a liar or he was delusional.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Johnny916
Familiar Member

Post by Johnny916 »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Well you said we could ask you questions, what Jesus had to say was pretty well documented by the apostles and by the Romans and the Jewish community and that was the reason he was put to death for the claims he was making, so either he was who he said he was, he was a liar or he was delusional.
Well, then I will have to respectfully disagree on Jesus from your view point. That's all I can say about it really.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with, are you saying he did not claim to be the messiah?
Johnny916
Familiar Member

Post by Johnny916 »

I just do not see Jesus as you see him to be. I do not believe Jesus is the Messiah either. As I mentioned I just do not see Jesus how people of faith see Jesus.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

From a historical perspective Jesus was a real person, and was well documented by the historians at the time.
His execution was well documented also and the reasons why it was done.
So as you can understand i am a little astounded that your claiming his claims are only from my faith perspective when it was well documented by non believers.
Johnny916
Familiar Member

Post by Johnny916 »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:From a historical perspective Jesus was a real person, and was well documented by the historians at the time.
His execution was well documented also and the reasons why it was done.
So as you can understand i am a little astounded that your claiming his claims are only from my faith perspective when it was well documented by non believers.
Well, I have read differently on Jesus from a historic perspective. It's all up in the air in my view. I'm just happy being Jewish.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Well i guess i am glad that you want to serve God :amen:
Johnny916
Familiar Member

Post by Johnny916 »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Well i guess i am glad that you want to serve God :amen:
Thanks! I always wanted to live my life as religious Jew. I like it so far. Different from growing up in a secular lifestyle.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

I like a lot of the Jewish custom's, there is a comfort in old traditions that make you feel warm and fuzzy almost like going home after having been away for a long time.
Johnny916
Familiar Member

Post by Johnny916 »

Yeah, I know. My grandfather on my mother's side was a Hasidic rabbi. I describe myself as a Hasidic Jews because I agree with pretty much everything in that belief. But I attend a Reform synagogue in my area. My grandfather passed away when I was a kid. I think this is why I want to be a observant Jew.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

How does Hasidic differ from other Jewish sect's? what seperates them from the everyday jew?
I did a little google and as far as i can see they are more like mystics and are concerned with the supernatural, or am i misunderstanding?
Johnny916
Familiar Member

Post by Johnny916 »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:How does Hasidic differ from other Jewish sect's? what seperates them from the everyday jew?
I did a little google and as far as i can see they are more like mystics and are concerned with the supernatural, or am i misunderstanding?
It's difficult to explain the lifestyle. To me it's identifying as a Hasidic because of my grandfather who was a Hasidic rabbi during his life time. While my parents moved to California from New York. They left the Jewish community. Each time we visited my grandparents on my mothers side were still active in the Chabad Hasidic community in New York. From why I can say my grandfather is more conservative and traditional in his beliefs. So, he will be very careful of something that wouldn't be consider kosher or right in the eyes of Jewish law. Everyone I see dressed very conservatively or modest. A majority of what my grandfather said to me about Judaism I didn't understand at the time and still don't. What I have learned comes from different websites and books I can buy online. Many times I go to the Reform synagogue near my apartment because It seems to make more sense to me then more conservative and traditional Jewish practices.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Johnny916 wrote:Thanks! In fact I'm learning Hebrew. Long story short I was born into a Jewish family but we were not religious or more secular. As an adult I decided I wanted to be a religious or spiritual Jew. I do have a couple books on the Hebrew alphabet and language which is helping me a lot in learning Hebrew.
Here is something that might help you a bit more...

This PDF download of "The Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible"by Jeff A. Benner might help you with understanding Ancient Hebew a bit more for your personal studies...
-
-
-
Attachments
ahlb.pdf
Ancient Hebrew Lexicon
(4.07 MiB) Downloaded 196 times
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys