What Bible story does this remind you of?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

What Bible story does this remind you of?

Post by ultimate777 »

Suppose I had a six year old son I loved very much. It was important to me that he always obey me. I knew I always knew best. I knew he loved apples, so I decided to test him. I brought a box of apples to his room and told him he must never eat any. Soon I found out he had.
I told him I loved him, I wanted us to keep in touch, but he must leave the house forever right away.

Whose responsibiliy was it he ate the apples? Did I tempt him as well as test him? Was I wrong to do all this? If so, and if God did this would His being God make it right?
Byblos
Old School

Re: What Bible story does this remind you of?

Post by Byblos »

ultimate777 wrote:Suppose I had a six year old son I loved very much. It was important to me that he always obey me. I knew I always knew best. I knew he loved apples, so I decided to test him. I brought a box of apples to his room and told him he must never eat any. Soon I found out he had.
I told him I loved him, I wanted us to keep in touch, but he must leave the house forever right away.

Whose responsibiliy was it he ate the apples? Did I tempt him as well as test him? Was I wrong to do all this? If so, and if God did this would His being God make it right?
What if you already knew with absolute certainty your child WILL disobey you and will be lead astray into a life of debauchery. Would you not, as a loving parent, make sure he has a path back to righteousness before he even takes the first bite of that apple?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

Another thing to note - Adam and Eve were adults not children.
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

What if the story is little different:
There was the tree of knowledge of good and evil. One could maybe also call that tree the tree of a free will. Man knew that by eating the apple he would know what the world without God is like. He had temptations to know that and finally eated the apple. God knew it would happen. He was angry at us (loving father is also sometimes angry at his son), however he prepared the plan for us to save us. He sent his Son to teach us and show us what is God like and heaven and hell like. You have a choice you can make since we were given a free will. You can follow Jesus or not. It's up to you.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

by Byblos on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:47 am

ultimate777 wrote:
Suppose I had a six year old son I loved very much. It was important to me that he always obey me. I knew I always knew best. I knew he loved apples, so I decided to test him. I brought a box of apples to his room and told him he must never eat any. Soon I found out he had.

What if you already knew with absolute certainty your child WILL disobey you and will be lead astray into a life of debauchery.

Unlike you, I will answer the question. It would be wrong for me to do all this in the first place. If I knew with absolute certainty my child would disobey me and will be lead astray into a life of debauchery I would be much more wrong.
I see youn duck the question as to whether God being God would make it all right for him.

Would you not, as a loving parent, make sure he has a path back to righteousness before he even takes the first bite of that apple?

If I could.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Could you not deal with the story as is rather than change it around?

by 1over137 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:54 pm

What if the story is little different:
There was the tree of knowledge of good and evil. One could maybe also call that tree the tree of a free will. Man knew that by eating the apple he would know what the world without God is like. He had temptations to know that and finally eated the apple. God knew it would happen. He was angry at us (loving father is also sometimes angry at his son), however he prepared the plan for us to save us. He sent his Son to teach us and show us what is God like and heaven and hell like. You have a choice you can make since we were given a free will. You can follow Jesus or not. It's up to you.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

ultimate777 wrote:Suppose I had a six year old son I loved very much. It was important to me that he always obey me. I knew I always knew best. I knew he loved apples, so I decided to test him. I brought a box of apples to his room and told him he must never eat any. Soon I found out he had.

Becasue they were free will beings it was their fault they ate the apple, just becasue my sons know there is chocolate in the cubboard doesnt mean they are allowed to eat it when they want.
God did not tempt them Satan did and they fell for his trickery, if Satan had not intervened they never would have eaten the apple but i guess you left that part out of the story on purpose 8-}2
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.