How do you Know There is Only one God as Opposed to Many?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: How do you Know There is Only one God as Opposed to Many

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya »

MarcusOfLycia wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:I watch the history channel and I read books. Many many books. Like- Why else would they leave out so much of Mary's life when she was born of a virgin birth as well!? And why would they leave out when Jesus was a child?
She... wasn't born of a virgin.
Yes she was.

EDIT: Correction. immaculate conception. Still, why not talk about her more?
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:I don't know. I will know when I get there though
And how do you know you will get there?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
MarcusOfLycia wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:I watch the history channel and I read books. Many many books. Like- Why else would they leave out so much of Mary's life when she was born of a virgin birth as well!? And why would they leave out when Jesus was a child?
Yes she was.

Because she is not important. It's all about Jesus, baby.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

DannyM wrote:
There is no way of knowing. Except maybe... just... knowing?
I guess the same way you have conviction that there is only one God and not many. But you will find out for sure after death- well, depending.
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
DannyM wrote:
But how do you know you will attain nirvana? This is a serious question.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

DannyM wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
MarcusOfLycia wrote:
Yes she was.

Because she is not important. It's all about Jesus, baby.
And Moses was more important? Noah was more important?

Why can't their be one awesome female in the bible?
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

DannyM wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
DannyM wrote:
But how do you know you will attain ? This is a serious question.
There is no way of knowing. Except knowing. If I knew more, I would not be human.

Just like there is no way of knowing your version of heaven is how it really is except just knowing.

It is a belief. It is faith.
Last edited by Jonouchi Katsuya on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
DannyM wrote:
I guess the same way you have conviction that there is only one God and not many. But you will find out for sure after death- well, depending.
No it's not the same as a Christian's secured salvation. I'm asking you how you can be confident that you will attain nirvana. Seriously.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

DannyM wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
DannyM wrote:
No it's not the same as a 's secured salvation. I'm asking you how you can be confident that you will attain nirvana. Seriously.
Faith.

It is the only answer I have. I know you say you have a secured salvation but you only know it exists because of faith.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
DannyM wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
DannyM wrote:
But how do you know you will attain ? This is a serious question.
There is no way of knowing. Except knowing. If I knew more, I would not be human.

Just like there is no way of knowing your version of heaven is how it really is except just knowing.

It is a belief. It is faith.
No. According to my belief system I know I'm saved. According to your belief system you simply cannot know that you will attain nirvana. And if you do claim to know that you will attain nirvana then I'm just curious how you think you can achieve this. How many rebirths are you due before you attain nirvana?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote: I know you say you have a secured salvation but you only know it exists because of faith.
Katsuya, I'm not digging you out here. I'm saying that, assuming the truth claims of Buddhism, how do you expect you will attain nirvana? If you assume the truth claims of Christianity then you can see an absolute and definite path to secured salvation. Now, forget Christianity and assume that Buddhism is the one and only truth; how do you plan to follow the ways of Buddhism and attain nirvana?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

No. According to my belief system I know I'm saved. According to your belief system you simply cannot know that you will attain . And if you do claim to know that you will attain then I'm just curious how you think you can achieve this. How many rebirths are you due before you attain nirvana?
I am speaking strictly from belief now. It may be offensive to you... I hope it isn't.

You attain it when you do it right. There is no way to understand what God wants. So, you can't very well believe anything written down by human hands about God and what God wants or thinks. We can only speculate and hope we are on the right path.

And then one day, we should just know... and it doesn't come easily, but at the same time when we find it, it will seem so logical you wonder why you didn't think of it sooner.

I don't get what is so wrong about that? Eventually everyone will be saved when they are ready to actually pass the tests. It is a guarantee.

So many of you seem to believe in hell... and damnation. I believe no one is damned. I believe everyone can eventually go to heaven when their souls are ready. When they have learned what they need to know.

But some Buddhists don't even believe in reincarnation. *laughs* Kinda like how some Christians believe in hell and others don't.
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:Why can't their be one awesome female in the bible?
15 August... You picked the right day. :ewink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assumption_of_Mary

"The feast of the Assumption on August 15 is a public holiday in many countries, including Austria, Belgium, Chile, Ecuador, France, Greece, Lebanon, Italy, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Senegal and Spain"

Including mine as well. :D
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:You attain it when you do it right. There is no way to understand what God wants. So, you can't very well believe anything written down by human hands about God and what God wants or thinks. We can only speculate and hope we are on the right path.

But you believe what was written down by the human hands of Buddha?

And if you attain nirvana “when you do it right,” but there is “no way to understand what God wants,” then please tell me how you can ever expect to “do it right”…?
And then one day, we should just know... and it doesn't come easily, but at the same time when we find it, it will seem so logical you wonder why you didn't think of it sooner.

Know what? Until you clarify the above then I fail to see how you can know anything.
I don't get what is so wrong about that? Eventually everyone will be saved when they are ready to actually pass the tests. It is a guarantee.

What is wrong is the lack of clarity in your offerings.
So many of you seem to believe in hell... and damnation. I believe no one is damned. I believe everyone can eventually go to heaven when their souls are ready. When they have learned what they need to know.

But they will never “learn what they need to know” because there is no way to understand your god’s wants and so the whole world’s souls are damned to a never ending cycle of deaths and rebirths.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote: And Moses was more important? Noah was more important?

Why can't their be one awesome female in the bible?
Who ever said Moses and Noah were "more important"?

There are several wonderful females in the Bible.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia