How do you Know There is Only one God as Opposed to Many?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: How do you Know There is Only one God as Opposed to Many

Post by neo-x »

Jonouchi Katsuya on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:26 am

Besides using the Bible as proof, how do you know there is only one God as opposed to many Gods?

This question was just asked to me by curious friends... and now I am actually thinking- Well, what if? (But I am allowed to because I am not Christian).
You are asking why a circle is not a square. It is like supposing, I blind your eyes, cover your ears, turn on the TV and then ask you to define the picture on it. Of course you will say "it is silly to do such a thing and ask a question". So Bible is the Word of God and I believe it, by that I learn about my religion. But for Christians this is simple, when you have the holy spirit, you know what you are doing. We do not even bother about multiple God's. because common sense dictates such a thing is impossible but even if this doesn't satisfy someone, I'll tell you easily, when God enters your life, you just know, you just know.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya »

eric246 wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Please point out exactly where the Bible is flawed, it may have been penned by man but it was devinely inspired.
The fact that MAN was translating God's word. That is how. And many books of the Bible were left out. Why? Obviously the Bible is very incomplete. And certain stories were not even supposed to be in the Bible... yet there they were. The story of Noah was a stolen story.

How can it be God's word... when stuff was left out, other stuff was added in- who is to say that some of God's words weren't important and others were... I would think they would all be important, thus should all be included?

Science says that the Earth is older than the Moon. History says... no slavery in Egypt. And that King Harrid, didn't really kill all the babies to try and kill the new king (Jesus). And that, that story was fabricated to just add effect to how bad Harrid was. He was pretty bad... but he didn't do that.

So yes... the Bible was compiled by man and man who had different beliefs and ways of living than we do now.
I would like to see your sources for many books being left out of the bible, and the story of Noah being stolen. Who was it stolen from and why?

It is God's word because God was writing through them. What happens after that, such as how God's word is put together or viewed upon by humans, is up to humanity. If someone gives you 10 dollars to put to good use, and you buy alcohol and get drunk, that is not the person who gave you the money with good intentions fault.

Again, I would like to see your sources for all these things you are stating.
I watch the history channel and I read books. Many many books. Like- Why else would they leave out so much of Mary's life when she was born of a virgin birth as well!? And why would they leave out when Jesus was a child?
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

neo-x wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:26 am

Besides using the Bible as proof, how do you know there is only one God as opposed to many Gods?

This question was just asked to me by curious friends... and now I am actually thinking- Well, what if? (But I am allowed to because I am not Christian).
You are asking why a circle is not a square. It is like supposing, I blind your eyes, cover your ears, turn on the TV and then ask you to define the picture on it. Of course you will say "it is silly to do such a thing and ask a question". So Bible is the Word of God and I believe it, by that I learn about my religion. But for Christians this is simple, when you have the holy spirit, you know what you are doing. We do not even bother about multiple God's. because common sense dictates such a thing is impossible but even if this doesn't satisfy someone, I'll tell you easily, when God enters your life, you just know, you just know.
This is an friendly argument that started last night at a sleep over. But, anyway, I do believe in one God- but my friends do not. And given their argument- I wouldn't mind, and I would actually be overjoyed to know there were multiple Gods. A God who has companionship, is a less cranky God.
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:This is an friendly argument that started last night at a sleep over. But, anyway, I do believe in one God- but my friends do not. And given their argument- I wouldn't mind, and I would actually be overjoyed to know there were multiple Gods. A God who has companionship, is a less cranky God.
:) I love the way Buiddhists apply their 'philosophy' in a way only they can think is profound.

Katsuya, I did ask you this somewhere else: could you please explain to me who your god is?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

A God who has companionship, is a less cranky God.
was that a funny you were trying to make?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
DannyM wrote:[quote="Jonouchi Katsuya"

And the Bible was written by people. It is thus flawed.
Well, you would think that. If you didn’t think that I imagine we wouldn’t be having this conversation right now.
Why would he not? How would God decide to create the earth with no other influence around him?
No, please, you first. Why would God want or need a helping hand?

You’re essentially asking how would an almighty God create if He didn’t have another almighty God wrapped round Him. Do you see the nonsense of the question? Nothing is immovable, undoable for an irresistible force, an almighty God. You just appear to want one more irresistible force so they can both join hands, skip around and play ring a ring of roses.

If you are serious about this at all, then look in to the ontological Trinity.

http://carm.org/ontological-and-economic-trinity
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

neo-x wrote:
Yes, hopefully you didn't mind.
^.^; well you probably did.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Jonouchi Katsuya » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:31 pm

neo-x wrote:

You are blaming me on your supposition?

without.

Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

DannyM wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:This is an friendly argument that started last night at a sleep over. But, anyway, I do believe in one God- but my friends do not. And given their argument- I wouldn't mind, and I would actually be overjoyed to know there were multiple Gods. A God who has companionship, is a less cranky God.
:) I love the way Buiddhists apply their 'philosophy' in a way only they can think is profound.

Katsuya, I did ask you this somewhere else: could you please explain to me who your god is?
I enjoyed your snipe.

This is kinda a hard one. But I believe he/she gives infinite chances to be a good person. In a way... Earth is hell and we will not be in the kingdom of heaven or "" until we become enlightened. But that can be reached in many ways by people who are not Buddhist.

If you are here, you failed God's test last time so you are here to try again.

The nature of God isn't really for me to know until I find God myself. I am sure you aren't used to that because in Christianity, what makes it so appealing is that God comes to you not you come to God.

I have my "list of would like to believes". but I wont know for sure about the afterlife or anything really!

I also believe God to be imperfect- but that it is OK. But maybe when I KNOW- I will know all the reasons and I will know the nature of God.

I am an intensely curious person about that sort of thing.
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

neo-x wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:31 pm

neo-x wrote:

You are blaming me on your supposition?
I am kinda silly. I am not blaming you. :lol:
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

DannyM wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:

Well, you would think that. If you didn’t think that I imagine we wouldn’t be having this conversation right now.
Why would he not? How would God decide to create the earth with no other influence around him?

You’re essentially asking how would an almighty God create if He didn’t have another almighty God wrapped round Him. Do you see the nonsense of the question? Nothing is immovable, undoable for an irresistible force, an almighty God. You just appear to want one more irresistible force so they can both join hands, skip around and play ring a ring of roses.

Why are you calling me stupid?
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
DannyM wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:

Why are you calling me stupid?
I'm sorry?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
DannyM wrote:

I enjoyed your snipe.

This is kinda a hard one. But I believe he/she gives infinite chances to be a good person. In a way... Earth is hell and we will not be in the kingdom of heaven or "" until we become enlightened. But that can be reached in many ways by people who are not Buddhist.

The nature of God isn't really for me to know until I find God myself. I am sure you aren't used to that because in Christianity, what makes it so appealing is that God comes to you not you come to God.

I have my "list of would like to believes". but I wont know for sure about the afterlife or anything really!

I also believe God to be imperfect- but that it is OK. But maybe when I KNOW- I will know all the reasons and I will know the nature of God.

This sounds like Buddhism with a dollop of some abstract Theism.

What do you consider nirvana to be?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

DannyM wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
DannyM wrote:

I enjoyed your snipe.

This sounds like Buddhism with a dollop of some abstract Theism.

What do you consider to be?
I don't know. I will know when I get there though. I would like to think it would be a peaceful place.

Yeah That pretty much is what it is. ^.^; I am not Christian. But thank you for trying to respect me.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:I watch the history channel and I read books. Many many books. Like- Why else would they leave out so much of Mary's life when she was born of a virgin birth as well!? And why would they leave out when Jesus was a child?
She... wasn't born of a virgin.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"