Do you believe a Christian can have a philosophical faith?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Do you believe a Christian can have a philosophical faith?

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya »

Do you believe it's possible for a person to have a philosophical faith or non-theistic faith, like Buddhism or Shinto, and still be accepted as a Christian? In both of these faiths, having faith in a different God like Christianity's is perfectly fine. Does it work both ways, or do you believe a person can only be Christian? Isn't the only real requirement that you accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior? Why should any benevolent belief beyond that be barred?
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Do you believe a Christian can have a philosophical fait

Post by B. W. »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:Do you believe it's possible for a person to have a philosophical faith or non-theistic faith, like Buddhism or Shinto, and still be accepted as a Christian? In both of these faiths, having faith in a different God like Christianity's is perfectly fine. Does it work both ways, or do you believe a person can only be Christian? Isn't the only real requirement that you accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior? Why should any benevolent belief beyond that be barred?
I opened this thread a few days ago concerning philosophy of Faith

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 19&t=36152

Might want to post your questiont there...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

B. W. wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:Do you believe it's possible for a person to have a philosophical faith or non-theistic faith, like Buddhism or Shinto, and still be accepted as a Christian? In both of these faiths, having faith in a different God like Christianity's is perfectly fine. Does it work both ways, or do you believe a person can only be Christian? Isn't the only real requirement that you accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior? Why should any benevolent belief beyond that be barred?

-
-
-
I didn't mean the philosophy of faith, but rather a philosophical faith like Buddhism. I'm basically asking if you believe a Christian can also be Buddhist or Shinto and not be violating any part of their Christian faith.
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Sister/Roshi Elaine MacInnes might be of interest. I've heard good things about her book Zen Contemplation for Christians but never got around to reading it. A Catholic Nun who is also the only Canadian to hold the title of Roshi, a Zen master.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote: I'm basically asking if you believe a Christian can also be Buddhist or Shinto and not be violating any part of their Christian faith.
Such a person would not be a Christian. He may call himself a Christian but he would be worshipping another god as well as God.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote: I'm basically asking if you believe a Christian can also be Buddhist or Shinto and not be violating any part of their Christian faith.
Such a person would not be a Christian. He may call himself a Christian but he would be worshipping another god as well as God.
There are no other gods in these religions.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
tell me how your could be buddist and beleive in Karma and rebirth (re-incarnation) and be Christain at the same time, when the belief's are in direct contradiction with each other?
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
tell me how your could be buddist and beleive in Karma and rebirth (re-incarnation) and be Christain at the same time, when the belief's are in direct contradiction with each other?
The Dali Lama doesn't even believe in reincarnation. Karma is like good deeds and bad deeds- the measure of a man or woman. What goes around comes around is not against God. Knowing the Earth/God will take care of people with bad Karma from doing bad deeds- is not against Christianity.

And sure we can all go to the kingdom of heaven, but there is nothing that says how many lives we live till we get there. Our soul is eternal anyway. There are many sects of Christianity that believe animals have souls.

And Jesus is supposed to come back. It could be through reincarnation. Who knows. Only God.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
The Dali Lama doesn't even believe in reincarnation. Karma is like good deeds and bad deeds- the measure of a man or woman. What goes around comes around is not against God. Knowing the Earth/God will take care of people with bad Karma from doing bad deeds- is not against Christianity.

And sure we can all go to the kingdom of heaven, but there is nothing that says how many lives we live till we get there. Our soul is eternal anyway. There are many sects of Christianity that believe animals have souls.

And Jesus is supposed to come back. It could be through reincarnation. Who knows. Only God.
That's even more opposed to Christianity. Trust me that I don't know anyone (even moreso myself) that deserves 'good' based on what I've/they've done. We're all terrible people. Our thoughts, actions, words, everything is so often directed at hurting others and ourselves any goodness we do just seems to be done selfishly. If 'karma' is the rule of the universe, hell is way too good an option for human beings like myself. Thank God for His Son. And I hope God can open the eyes of people who think they can work their way into goodness. That self-reliance is the blindness that prevents real transformation.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

Great post Marcus :clap: As the Lord said John 15:5 - ""I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
B. W. wrote:

I didn't mean the philosophy of faith, but rather a philosophical faith like Buddhism. I'm basically asking if you believe a Christian can also be Buddhist or Shinto and not be violating any part of their Christian faith.
On the contrary - the thread is discussing faith in general - so far on that thread we are approaching two points - one can have faith in works to achieve balance, karma, or whatever...etc...

Or you can faith in God's in what he does and did...

Everyone has a philosophy of faith...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

CeT-To wrote:Great post Marcus :clap: As the Lord said John 15:5 - ""I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
I'm being reminded more and more every day just how little I can do apart from Him... not been the best couple of weeks, but its just hammering that essential point more and more so I definitely can't complain.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

That's even more opposed to Christianity. Trust me that I don't know anyone (even moreso myself) that deserves 'good' based on what I've/they've done. We're all terrible people. Our thoughts, actions, words, everything is so often directed at hurting others and ourselves any goodness we do just seems to be done selfishly. If 'karma' is the rule of the universe, hell is way too good an option for human beings like myself. Thank God for His Son. And I hope God can open the eyes of people who think they can work their way into goodness. That self-reliance is the blindness that prevents real transformation.
Christianity is opposed to people doing anything at all for themselves or others?[/quote]

So... no one should do anything but sit in their room and pray till they die of starvation unless God himself spoon feeds you or makes your belly filled with food without you even so much as having to chew and you will live on only his glory and that is all?

I always thought that proving yourself worthy of being present in heaven was part of the goal...
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:There are no other gods in these religions.
I am aware that some forms of Buddhism are without a god. I was addressing your question ''Do you believe a Christian can have a philosophical faith?'' The Bible is quite clear in that philosophy is vain, worldly wisdom, foolishness and so on. Therefore, ''philosophical faith'' is an oxymoron from God's perspective.
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:I always thought that proving yourself worthy of being present in heaven was part of the goal...
Apart from God, no one is worthy of being present in heaven. No one. Therefore, it is impossible to work your way into heaven.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:There are no other gods in these religions.
I am aware that some forms of Buddhism are without a god. I was addressing your question ''Do you believe a can have a philosophical faith?'' The Bible is quite clear in that philosophy is vain, worldly wisdom, foolishness and so on. Therefore, ''philosophical faith'' is an oxymoron from God's perspective.
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:I always thought that proving yourself worthy of being present in heaven was part of the goal...
Apart from God, no one is worthy of being present in heaven. No one. Therefore, it is impossible to work your way into heaven.
Then what is the point? :?