ot vs nt

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

ot vs nt

Post by Prodigal Son »

i don't understand this ot vs nt law. i thought that when Jesus came, he abolished ot law. what were the ot laws that were important upon Jesus' coming? which ones were eradicated and which ones weren't and why?

i know august had a post on gospel and law to discuss something similar, but i still don't get it.

i mean, if people still support the death penalty and tithing based on ot, then why not circumcision and murder for adultery?
New Creation
2 Corinthians 5:7
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Hi Prodigal,

Unfortunately I don't have a simple answer for you, other than what I wrote in the other thread. God gave 3 kinds of laws, His everlasting moral law that Jesus confirmed in the NT, being God's commandments. God also gave specific instructions to Israel on how to live and worship in their new country after He freed them from slavery in Egypt, which are referred to as the ceremonial and civil laws of the Bible. Those laws survived until the time of Jesus, but were overtaken by traditions rather than God's will. These are the laws that Jesus and the apostles speak out against.

There is a long thread on the death penalty elsewhere, so I don't want to repeat all the arguments here. And I believe we will also talk about tithing elsewhere.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com