mary magdelene

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

mary magdelene

Post by Prodigal Son »

was mary magdelene really a prostitute? i read somewhere that she was mixed up with some other mary...she wasn't really a prostitute at all. what's the true story?
New Creation
2 Corinthians 5:7
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

What that's all about is that the prostitute people have assumed was Mary Magdalene was mentioned just above where she herself was mentioned. The two were confused for the same person. I thought, (because I was taught this like just about everyone else in the western world, maybe,) that Mary was that same prostitute, but when told they were different and looked it up I found they were indeed different women. She wasn't a prostitute.
The edge
Established Member

Post by The edge »

kateliz wrote:What that's all about is that the prostitute people have assumed was Mary Magdalene was mentioned just above where she herself was mentioned. The two were confused for the same person. I thought, (because I was taught this like just about everyone else in the western world, maybe,) that Mary was that same prostitute, but when told they were different and looked it up I found they were indeed different women. She wasn't a prostitute.
Where did u look up? Any reference to prove the assumption wrong? Like to know as well.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

And ya know, I just found it yesterday or the day before and thought, "Maybe I should note where this is," and I didn't! Probably was about the same time you wrote that post! :wink: I just have to learn to listen better to those promptings!

I saw it in Matthew, but it's better described in Luke 7:36-8:2. It must have been from that closeness in mention of the women and how the demons where in Mary Magdalene. Years ago, after being taught Mary M. was a prostitute, I read that and didn't bother to recognize them as different people! Stupid thing to do, and stupid to not see the obvious difference! But then some people say in the Middle Ages the RCC wanted her to be seen as a prostitute because of her high standing as a woman among the disciples, and that along with these verses created the myth.
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

i've read she was one of the disciples and many didn't like that much...her being a "prostitute" worked out just fine.
New Creation
The edge
Established Member

Post by The edge »

Thks kateliz.

Just came back onto this site after 1 month absence. Your reference was helpful indeed.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Prodigal Son wrote:i've read she was one of the disciples and many didn't like that much...her being a "prostitute" worked out just fine.
I will disagree that she was one of the Disciples! It clearly states who the Disciples were in the Bible and she was not mentioned being one of them.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

But Joy-Buzzer, she was one of His disciples! She just wasn't an apostle. He had many disciples that weren't apostles, and yes some of them were women. Being a disciple has to do with your relationship to Christ, and being an apostle has to do with what part of the Body you are.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

kateliz wrote:But Joy-Buzzer, she was one of His disciples! She just wasn't an apostle. He had many disciples that weren't apostles, and yes some of them were women. Being a disciple has to do with your relationship to Christ, and being an apostle has to do with what part of the Body you are.
:lol: I thought you would Bring that up Kate! Maybe I took what Prodigal said wrong but I thought he meant an Apostle of Jesus Christ? :? Oh and by the way Kate :P
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

" :P " What was that for? Sorry I missed it for so long. Haven't been on much for awhile and tonight I'm trying to do a little catch-up. Sad to say that I just accidentally squirted it all over the kitchen. Looks like someone got murdered in there!:wink: Boy that was funny! Get it? "Catch-up"? Ketchup? :lol: Sometimes it's good for your mental health to be stupid! Have any of you ever made faces in the mirror at yourself just to make yourself laugh? I used to.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

kateliz wrote:" :P " What was that for? Sorry I missed it for so long. Haven't been on much for awhile and tonight I'm trying to do a little catch-up. Sad to say that I just accidentally squirted it all over the kitchen. Looks like someone got murdered in there!:wink: Boy that was funny! Get it? "Catch-up"? Ketchup? :lol: Sometimes it's good for your mental health to be stupid! Have any of you ever made faces in the mirror at yourself just to make yourself laugh? I used to.
In most cases the :P is sticking your Tongue out :lol: Yes I got. You are so Funny :roll: :wink: :lol: . I used to make faces in the Mirror to do that then I realized how Funny I really looked and decided to make the people around me laugh instead!
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

I know what a " :P " is, I was asking why in the world you did it to me! :cry: So mean sometimes, you are! [gulp] [sniffle] I'll be okay, jus' give me a sec'. [snorting into kleenex quite loudly] Okay, I'm a little better. Oh wait... [snorting into shirt] okay now I'm good. Oh no! [Runs out the door and shoots snot-rockets onto grass, hitting a big leaf on a plant instead, with the "rocket" running down the leaf and onto a big flower that gets plucked by an unobservant appreciant later that hour to be placed in the middle of the table in a vase as a centerpiece for dinner that night... with the boss and his wife. The "rocket" holds it's slimy, plump form untill then.]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Somebody's running off a second-wind! Let's just hope the unfortunate readers of this post aren't standing down-wind from it after the night's beans are consumed. Oh dear, a weekend with the family has got Katie spouting bodily function jokes. I told her not to spend time with those no-good hooligans... but does she listen, noooo!

Please forgive me, I'm not normally this crude.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

Ya know, I was going to add that my uncle and I make faces at each other every time our family gets together. Usually it's across a room with the family inbetween. He's such a goof-ball; a kid at heart, really.

We really got crackin' up one night while sitting in a circle keeping a beachball up in the air and talking about us going to the Olympics for it, (even Grandma joined in, using her feet and all like the rest of us, with Grandpa hittin' it a few times from behind the chairs as he walked by,) cuttin' a movie deal off our story, having a "Where are They Now?" segment done after our career ends and all that good stuff. Sadly to say, it was I who started this unlikely fantasy, but glad to say we laughed like we haven't in all-too-long. I tell ya, it was hilarious.

God certainly blessed me with those folk, and I'm very grateful.
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

i meant she was one of the disciples themselves...one of the "twelve." there was alot of strife between her and the others because she was a woman. she was also supposed to be largely responsible for the spread of christianity? saw it on some discovery special.
New Creation
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Prodigal Son wrote:i meant she was one of the disciples themselves...one of the "twelve." there was alot of strife between her and the others because she was a woman. she was also supposed to be largely responsible for the spread of christianity? saw it on some discovery special.
Discovery Channel, History Channel, National Geographic, all biased t.v. networks. I only agree with a program they air IF it fits with actual evidence in the world and not some made up fantasy.