mary magdelene

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

Post by Prodigal Son »

i thought it did fit with actual evidence. so far, no ones really refuted it.
New Creation
2 Corinthians 5:7
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Can you post a Scriptural reference for the claim that she was a prostitute? I could not find anything, just that 7 demons had been cast out from her.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

isn't it in the bible? i don't know. i have a one year and i'm only acts 15. maybe someone else can help out? i just always "knew" it--that she was a prostitute. just been learning it wasn't so true.
New Creation
August
Old School

Post by August »

These are the verses in my Bible that I could find that referred to her. No mention of her being a prostitute, not that it would matter in the slightest.

Matthew 27:56 (NIV)
Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James and Joses, and the mother of Zebedee's sons.

Matthew 27:61 (NIV)
Mary Magdalene and the other Mary were sitting there opposite the tomb.

Matthew 28:1 (NIV)
After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.

Mark 15:40 (NIV)
Some women were watching from a distance. Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joses, and Salome.

Mark 15:47-16:1 (NIV)
Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses saw where he was laid.
[16:1] When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus' body.

Mark 16:9 (NIV)
When Jesus rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had driven seven demons.

Luke 24:10 (NIV)
It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the others with them who told this to the apostles.

John 19:25 (NIV)
Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.

John 20:1 (NIV)
Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance.

John 20:18 (NIV)
Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: "I have seen the Lord!" And she told them that he had said these things to her.
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

thank you, august. i don't know why everyone thinks she was one? or is that just a catholic thing?
New Creation
August
Old School

Post by August »

Y'know, I did see something that could be construed as that in the book of Thomas, one of the apocrypha, so that may be where it originated. Not sure, so won't put my head on the block for that.

kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

Geez you guys, read the prior posts on a thread before spoutin' off things already answered! :roll: :)
August
Old School

Post by August »

Thanks Kateliz, very helpful.

bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

kateliz wrote:I know what a " :P " is, I was asking why in the world you did it to me! :cry: So mean sometimes, you are! [gulp] [sniffle] I'll be okay, jus' give me a sec'. [snorting into kleenex quite loudly] Okay, I'm a little better. Oh wait... [snorting into shirt] okay now I'm good. Oh no! [Runs out the door and shoots snot-rockets onto grass, hitting a big leaf on a plant instead, with the "rocket" running down the leaf and onto a big flower that gets plucked by an unobservant appreciant later that hour to be placed in the middle of the table in a vase as a centerpiece for dinner that night... with the boss and his wife. The "rocket" holds it's slimy, plump form untill then.]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Somebody's running off a second-wind! Let's just hope the unfortunate readers of this post aren't standing down-wind from it after the night's beans are consumed. Oh dear, a weekend with the family has got Katie spouting bodily function jokes. I told her not to spend time with those no-good hooligans... but does she listen, noooo!

Please forgive me, I'm not normally this crude.
Dang it I just seen this Post now!!! Geezzz.... :roll: Anyways little off Topic Pig Face so I will leave it at that. You are soo good at getting off topic :shock: :D :lol:
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

kateliz,

my question remains unanswered. was she one of the "twelve" and has been "erased" because she was a woman? the discovery special mentioned that the perpetuated idea of her being a prostitute was purposeful to make her look bad.
New Creation
August
Old School

Post by August »

She was not one of the 12, but after the resurrection she was the first to see Jesus alive, and He told to go and tell the apostles what she saw. She essentially became a disciple to the disciples.

bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Prodigal Son wrote:kateliz,

my question remains unanswered. was she one of the "twelve" and has been "erased" because she was a woman? the discovery special mentioned that the perpetuated idea of her being a prostitute was purposeful to make her look bad.
She was not one of the 12 as August Said! She was not an Apostle as the 12 Apostles were but was a Disciple of Jesus Christ just as we are Disciples of Jesus Christ
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

but how do we know? how do we know she wasn't "erased"?
New Creation
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Prodigal Son wrote:but how do we know? how do we know she wasn't "erased"?
Because if the Bible is the Truth then we know she was not Erased. Plus God had other plans for her and in the Bible it shows what those plans were!
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

I think it's better if we don't get stuck on "what if"s. If proof of a "what if" presents itself, deal with it then with what you have. If not, don't beat your brains out about it.

Besides, the Discovery Channel is one of those that refuses to come to any real conclusions on anything pertaining to religion. They always end with, "Well, we really don't know for sure," and it's almost always a lie. They don't care for truth, they care for ratings. And religious documentaries get ratings. That's why they keep shooting them out- all with no answer to the original question asked in it. They lie by not presenting the truth that's out there and presenting what's been proven wrong as a viable option. I have no respect for those documentaries on those channels, (public television has much better ones because they're less afraid of the truth.) Just brush them off as I do. There's hardly anything else you can do with them. And if you want to learn, go to a Christian bookstore or something. Those documentaries will confuse those who don't know the whole story.