Did it Rain before the Flood

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

voicingmaster wrote: B/c the sky is blue and thus looks like water to them?
At night too? They did have nights, right?
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

OK then, so why would they call space "water" when it isn't water? Do you mean clouds and water vapor and stuff?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

voicingmaster wrote:OK then, so why would they call space "water" when it isn't water? Do you mean clouds and water vapor and stuff?
No idea. Since their vocabulary was pretty damn small, I'm guessing that they used words like this all the time, and one had to derive the meaning from the context.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Kmart, the ancients referred to the sky as "the waters above" long after the flood. If that expanse had been removed and the waters above fell back on earth then the post flood people wouldn't still be talking about the waters above now would they? The waters above is simply their term for "space" and nothing more.
In august fashion, PROVE IT.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by Battlehelmet »

It was a desert wasteland in the days of Noah. Desert is synonymous with drought or dry conditions. When the ground is dry, it has trouble absorbing water to keep from eroding. Thus, a major flood..

Major.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

So, that mist that rose watered the earth...didn't?
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

This is something I studied years ago, finally putting in article form at:

http://www.mdvaden.com/figures.shtml

It's down in the studies topics part of the page.

I had been taught the section for so many years according to religious habitual tunnel-vision, that the simplicity of it was remarkable when I realized what the Word was saying.

The understanding, for me, occured after a year where my pimary goal was just reading the Word more so than word studies. In that time, I noticed the many references in the Word regarding evaporation. There is no word for it, but it's described several different ways.

Recently, I read a few articles that come to the same conclusion - that there was rain in Genesis 2 - but those articles are amazingly long. It's interesting how we as people will write 10 pages about all kinds of Hebrew word studies and various history, merely to state what God has already clearly said in 4 or 5 concise verses.

Maybe we can chuckle about it. Consider how much teaching and truth the bible has - and look at how thin the book is. But to try and explain it, look at how many book sets we have written, and how many libraries we have filled.