Romans 3:4

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Romans 3:4

Post by Christian2 »

3.So what advantage does the Jew have? Or what is the benefit of circumcision? 2 Considerable in every way. First, they were entrusted with the spoken words of God. 3 What then? If some did not believe, will their unbelief cancel God’s faithfulness? 4 Absolutely not! God must be true, even if everyone is a liar, as it is written:

That You may be justified in Your words
and triumph when You judge.[a]

Paul is quoting Psalm 51

Against You—You alone—I have sinned
and done this evil in Your sight.
So You are right when You pass sentence;
You are blameless when You judge.

I am trying to help a Christian understand what Paul is saying and I have failed.

This Christian thinks Paul is saying that we can overcome God's judgment.

"And the truth is Paul is creating a NEW Doctrine/Religion, in which Man can OVERRULE the Judgement of GOD."

Any help would be appreciated.
Fliegender
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Re: Romans 3:4

Post by Fliegender »

I don’t understand how your friend came to the conclusion that a man may overrule God’s judgement. Romans 3 contains verses from various prophets that are put together to show that man is estranged from God and evil from birth. Verse 31 is a good answer to those who say that a Christ is free to commit immorality.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Romans 3:4

Post by Christian2 »

Fliegender wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:36 am I don’t understand how your friend came to the conclusion that a man may overrule God’s judgement. Romans 3 contains verses from various prophets that are put together to show that man is estranged from God and evil from birth. Verse 31 is a good answer to those who say that a Christ is free to commit immorality.
I don't understand her conclusion either. Unless, she is misreading: (I just thought of this)

That You may be justified in Your words
and triumph when You judge.

and not understanding "You" means God and "Your" means God's Words, and when "You" judge means God's judgment.

I'll try that approach.