Judeo-Christian ?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Judeo-Christian ?

Post by PaulSacramento »

I have read on a few websites, typically either far-right or orthodox Jew, that there is no judeo-christian tradition.

These websites then go on to show that, quite correctly, Judaism and Christianity are NOT the same and are, in many ways, polar opposites.

I agree with that, when it comes to RELIGION.

Problem is that no one talks about "Judeo-Christian religion", we talk about Judeo-Christian tradtion or values which means:
The things that Jews and Christians SHARE in COMMON via the OT:
The Ten commandments for example.
Welcoming strangers
Taking care of the ill, etc.

It seems that those that say judeo-Christain values and traditions do NOT exist and then go one to talk about the religious factors, either disregard what the majority mean when we say Judeo-Christian OR they are purposefully trying to create desent.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Judeo-Christian ?

Post by Philip »

Or what about this?

How many college kids have we seen with the above on their bumper. While there is hopefully a core desire for peace, I think most displaying this think it really doesn't matter which faith tradition one follows or believes in - mistakenly thinking either they are just all different routes to Heaven or they are perhaps merely an atheist or agnostic who basically believes they are all irrelevant religious nonsense (of which only one is not).
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Paul,

I'd say that the only context that I've really heard the Judeo-Christian tradition used, is in the forming of Western civilization, especially the U. S.

As I understand it, Judeo-Christian values, is another name for biblical values. And certainly the west was founded on biblical values. Whether or not those biblical values are taken in proper context from scripture, is another thing.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Philip wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:47 am Or what about this?

How many college kids have we seen with the above on their bumper. While there is hopefully a core desire for peace, I think most displaying this think it really doesn't matter which faith tradition one follows or believes in - mistakenly thinking either they are just all different routes to Heaven or they are perhaps merely an atheist or agnostic who basically believes they are all irrelevant religious nonsense (of which only one is not).
That get along pic, reminds me of the song 'imagine'

And no we can't all get along..