Becoming a disciple of Jesus

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
j0hnnyB0y
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes

Becoming a disciple of Jesus

Post by j0hnnyB0y »

Luke 14:33 So therefore none of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions.
Luke 14:33 Therefore ,salt is good,but if even salt has become tasteless , with what will it be seasoned?
Luke 14:35 It is useless either for the soil or the the manure pile, it is thrown out. He who has ears to hear let him hear.

Is Jesus talking to the Pharisees and the Jewish people of the time, or to us?
Is it enough to support missionary work or do we have to sell up and become missionaries ourselves?

y:-/
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Becoming a disciple of Jesus

Post by RickD »

j0hnnyB0y wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:20 pm Luke 14:33 So therefore none of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions.
Luke 14:33 Therefore ,salt is good,but if even salt has become tasteless , with what will it be seasoned?
Luke 14:35 It is useless either for the soil or the the manure pile, it is thrown out. He who has ears to hear let him hear.

Is it enough to support missionary work or do we have to sell up and become missionaries ourselves?

He is talking to us. I will pm you a PO box number that you can send me all of your cash.

Since you're new here, that is the kind of sarcasm that expresses the opposite of what I actually mean.

Welcome to the board. :wave:

Edit:
Just to be clear, I'm saying that if you look at the context in Luke, he's not talking to us.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Welcome to the forum, JB!

By the way, how did you find us? :D
j0hnnyB0y
Newbie Member

Post by j0hnnyB0y »

I'm not sure about this, although I hope you are right, but I'm not convinced.

Jesus has consistently shown a very high expectations of us who are believers in the Gospels .
Higher than that for the Jewish people of the old testament.

For example from the sermon on the mount, the very high standards:

Mat. 5:22 ....Whoever shall say "You fool" (holding a fellow believer in contempt) shall be guilty enough to go to into the fire of hell.
Mat. 5:28 ..everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her.
Mat. 5:32 ...whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Mat.7:14 For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life.
So it could be that Luke. 14:33 is meant for us all today.

Jesus also says that his burden is light, although with bar set so high it seems a heavy burden.

It could be that Jesus is pointing out the fact that we need Grace to get through, and a lot of it.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

j0hnnyB0y wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:20 pm Luke 14:33 So therefore none of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions.

A disciple is one who spends time learning who Jesus is thru the word, and prayer life so they develop knowing Him in relationship. That is primary. We interpret such passages as you cited as our going to do something rather than getting to know Jesus, learning to hear his voice, and getting set free of all the issues and baggage we carry in life - see Isaiah 61:1,2,3,4 which Jesus quotes in Luke chapter Four.

If we love doing things more than spending time in prayer and study of the bible and seeking him, then take heed. We have churches filled with busy people too busy to take time to know who Jesus is and how to hear him speak and develop a personal one on one relationship with him. This takes time to develop.

Yes we all have family and jobs and such - the issue in the text is be willing to focus more on Jesus so those others things do not own you. If they own you, they will crush you in time, and rob all your time. If they do not - Jesus will help teach you how to handle these things better and in the process heal the broken heart, and stop what hold folks captive to repeat the same old problems plaguing them, heal their spiritual blindness, and set them free form what hold them prisoner to bondage, and exchange sorrow of life for his Joy.

That is one thing that those verses imply. If one is so sold out to the drama to get their significance in in life, then, they are looking back at the all drama as their inspiration for life and not Jesus who sets us free from the drama.

Hope that helps...

Blessings
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys