Who are the dogs?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Who are the dogs?

Post by B. W. »

Once there was an 8 year old, a son of a pastor, who found his father's bible opened to Rev 22:15

Rev 22:15, "But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie." NKJV

Upon reading it, he began to become very distraught weeping and cried out. "DA-A-AD!" as he ran up to his father.

"What's wrong Tommy?"

Between the sobs and weeping speech, the boy said, "Sparky....won't make... it to... heaven..."

"Who told you that?" said the dad.

"Da, bible did, out-side are dogs ... Harry Potter... sorcerers and tex emorals...in the lake of fiery fire... SPARKY WON"T MAKE IT WAWAWA...."

So what does the bible mean by dogs... after all Paul wrote this

Php 3:2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers...

Did he mean a literal interpretation ...beware of Labs, poddles, Chihuahuas, German Shepherds, Pugs, etc and etc?

Did he get bit by a dog and wrote the first sign - Beware of Dogs -

All jesting aside - it is oblivious dogs is used as a symbol for a certain type of person but which type?

Anyone open to explore this?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Who are the dogs?

Post by RickD »

B. W. wrote:Once there was an 8 year old, a son of a pastor, who found his father's bible opened to Rev 22:15

Rev 22:15, "But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie." NKJV

Upon reading it, he began to become very distraught weeping and cried out. "DA-A-AD!" as he ran up to his father.

"What's wrong Tommy?"

Between the sobs and weeping speech, the boy said, "Sparky....won't make... it to... heaven..."

"Who told you that?" said the dad.

"Da, bible did, out-side are dogs ... Harry Potter... sorcerers and tex emorals...in the lake of fiery fire... SPARKY WON"T MAKE IT WAWAWA...."

So what does the bible mean by dogs... after all Paul wrote this

Php 3:2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers...

Did he mean a literal interpretation ...beware of Labs, poddles, Chihuahuas, German Shepherds, Pugs, etc and etc?

Did he get bit by a dog and wrote the first sign - Beware of Dogs -

All jesting aside - it is oblivious dogs is used as a symbol for a certain type of person but which type?

Anyone open to explore this?
-
-
-
I think "dogs" is a metaphor for unclean people. In John's day, dogs were scavengers, and unclean animals. May be difficult for us modern-day westerners to understand that, since to many of us, dogs are considered part of the family.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Dogs = Gentiles
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

abelcainsbrother wrote:Dogs = Gentiles
I agree with Rick and ACB here...

In Mark 7:24-30 "dogs" refers to the unclean heathen nations.

In Psalm 22:16-18 the term "dogs" prophetically refers to the Romans who pierce Jesus' hands and feet and who divided his clothes and cast lots for his garment.

The Phil 3:2 passage is really interesting, because Paul takes a term that generally refers to unclean heathens and uses it to describe Jews who are putting "confidence in the flesh" for salvation.
Blessed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Blessed »

Homosexuals or male temple prostitutes.

"Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the LORD thy God"

-Deuteronomy 23:18

What do I win? :)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Blessed wrote:Homosexuals or male temple prostitutes.

"Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the LORD thy God"

That's a different word for dog. The OP is referring to the Greek word. You're referring to the Hebrew word.

You'd have to show from scripture, where the Greek word kyōn refers to a male prostitute. Can you give any examples from scripture?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Dogs were the unclean people of the 1st and 2nd century.
Much like when we call a person a dog now ( typically applied to a male that is sexually promiscuous).
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

PaulSacramento wrote:Dogs were the unclean people of the 1st and 2nd century.
Much like when we call a person a dog now ( typically applied to a male that is sexually promiscuous).
Okay then, I think that is it - unclean or the unsaved people - gentiles outside of the OT Covenant.

Here is Mark 7:24-30 from the NASB - The Syrophoenician Woman's Faith

Mar 7:24 Jesus got up and went away from there to the region of Tyre. And when He had entered a house, He wanted no one to know of it; yet He could not escape notice. 25 But after hearing of Him, a woman whose little daughter had an unclean spirit immediately came and fell at His feet.

Mark 7:26 Now the woman was a Gentile, of the Syrophoenician race. And she kept asking Him to cast the demon out of her daughter. 27 And He was saying to her, "Let the children be satisfied first, for it is not good to take the children's bread (Covenant OT People) and throw it to the dogs (Unsaved Gentiles)."

28 But she answered and said to Him, "Yes, Lord, but even the dogs (Unsaved Gentiles) under the table feed on the children's (Covenant Peoples) crumbs."

Mark 7:29 And He said to her, "Because of this answer go; the demon has gone out of your daughter." 30 And going back to her home, she found the child lying on the bed, the demon having left.

Now look at these verses from the NKJV below:

Isa 42:6 "I, the LORD, have called You in righteousness, And will hold Your hand; I will keep You and give You as a covenant to the people, As a light to the Gentiles,

Isa 49:6 Indeed He says, 'It is too small a thing that You should be My Servant To raise up the tribes of Jacob, And to restore the preserved ones of Israel; I will also give You as a light to the Gentiles, That You should be My salvation to the ends of the earth.' "

Isa 60:3 The Gentiles shall come to your light, And kings to the brightness of your rising.

I think the Syrophoenician Woman knew something - how about you all...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

The Gentiles always could've been saved-for instance Nineveh- just, it was mostly the Hebrews who were saved.
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

RickD wrote:

That's a different word for dog. The OP is referring to the Greek word. You're referring to the Hebrew word.

You'd have to show from scripture, where the Greek word kyōn refers to a male prostitute. Can you give any examples from scripture?

I thought the Old Testament was written in Ancient Hebrew...
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Blessed wrote:
RickD wrote:

y#-o

In B.W.'s original post he asked what "dogs" means. The verses he used as examples, Revelation 22:15, Philippians 3:2, are both NT, and the word translated as dogs, is the Greek word kyōn.

So, B.W was asking what kyōn means in the context of those two NT verses.

With me so far?

You then quoted Deuteronomy 23:18, which is OT, and Hebrew. The OT word "keleb" in the verse you quoted, may or may not refer to homosexuals or male prostitutes. But the Greek word that B.W was asking about is a different word. It's not Hebrew, it's Greek. So, in order for your assertion to hold up, you'd have to show how the NT uses kyōn to mean male prostitutes or homosexuals.

Understand?

-Edward R Murrow

Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

RickD wrote:
Blessed wrote:
RickD wrote:

y#-o

In B.W.'s original post he asked what "dogs" means. The verses he used as examples, Revelation 22:15, Philippians 3:2, are both NT, and the word translated as dogs, is the Greek word kyōn.

So, B.W was asking what kyōn means in the context of those two NT verses.

With me so far?

You then quoted Deuteronomy 23:18, which is OT, and Hebrew. The OT word "keleb" in the verse you quoted, may or may not refer to homosexuals or male prostitutes. But the Greek word that B.W was asking about is a different word. It's not Hebrew, it's Greek. So, in order for your assertion to hold up, you'd have to show how the NT uses kyōn to mean male prostitutes or homosexuals.

Understand?
Yap Yap