Pride. What does scripture say about Human Pride

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Blessed
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Pride. What does scripture say about Human Pride

Post by Blessed »

Where does "pride" in rank in terms of sin hierarchy?

This is a sort of generalist type question for anyone acclimated with all the books of the Old Testament and New Testament scripture.

What is the best way for a Christian to deal with someone who is prideful, judgemental, and close minded. Assuming it's even possible?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Pride. What does scripture say about Human Pride

Post by B. W. »

Blessed wrote:Where does "pride" in rank in terms of sin hierarchy?

This is a sort of generalist type question for anyone acclimated with all the books of the Old Testament and New Testament scripture.

What is the best way for a Christian to deal with someone who is prideful, judgemental, and close minded. Assuming it's even possible?
Bible speaks of this sort of pride as...and doing these things

Pro 6:16 These six things the LORD hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
Pro 6:17 A proud look, A lying tongue, Hands that shed innocent blood,
Pro 6:18 A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that are swift in running to evil,
Pro 6:19 A false witness who speaks lies, And one who sows discord among brethren.

There are several definitions for pride and one concerns benign pride - like being proud of Kids for doing the right thing. or proud about anthers accomplishments, etc... nothing wrong with this.

However, the other is a Hubris pride and that is the type God hates and is wrong...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

B.W., imma copy those verses for fb chat for the youth group
they touch me good
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

B. W. wrote:
Blessed wrote:Where does "pride" in rank in terms of sin hierarchy?

Bible speaks of this sort of pride as...and doing these things

Pro 6:16 These six things the LORD hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
Pro 6:17 A proud look, A lying tongue, Hands that shed innocent blood,
Pro 6:18 A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that are swift in running to evil,
Pro 6:19 A false witness who speaks lies, And one who sows discord among brethren.

There are several definitions for pride and one concerns benign pride - like being proud of Kids for doing the right thing. or proud about anthers accomplishments, etc... nothing wrong with this.

However, the other is a Hubris pride and that is the type God hates and is wrong...
-
-
-
What about for those insane people who don't think what they're doing is wrong? Like with murder or wicked plans?
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

I've always wondered if insane people, or those with mental issues, are judged the same as sane people at judgement.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

God judges people for what they CAN do and understand, and not for actions due to severe mental issues they cannot control. Same with babies and young children dying - as they are not yet mentally capable of understanding their sin and guilt, or the Gospel. My dentist was a fine Christian man who became severely depressed and killed himself - and I fully expect to see him in Heaven!
BigHamster
Recognized Member

Post by BigHamster »

B. W. wrote:
-
-
-
I read somewhere that "Intellectual Pride" ranks pretty high up there. If you're a works-based type of person trying to better yourself and find humility, its one of the hardest pride's to get rid of.

Is it included with Hubris? Is it mentioned in the bible ? Not sure. Anyway, to find where intellectual pride is rife, just go to any university :-)
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

BigHamster wrote: I read somewhere that "Intellectual Pride" ranks pretty high up there. If you're a works-based type of person trying to better yourself and find humility, its one of the hardest pride's to get rid of.

Is it included with Hubris? Is it mentioned in the bible ? Not sure. Anyway, to find where intellectual pride is rife, just go to any university :-)
I suffer from this a little bit. The trick is to keep an open mind ask questions and try to understand the other person.

Your avatar reminds me of a person I once knew. Which is pretty scary.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

BigHamster wrote:
B. W. wrote:
-
-
-
I read somewhere that "Intellectual Pride" ranks pretty high up there. If you're a works-based type of person trying to better yourself and find humility, its one of the hardest pride's to get rid of.

Yes it is...

Look at Narcissist like Obama and Hilary Clinton and you will see what I mean...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Blessed wrote:
BigHamster wrote: I read somewhere that "Intellectual Pride" ranks pretty high up there. If you're a works-based type of person trying to better yourself and find humility, its one of the hardest pride's to get rid of.

I suffer from this a little bit. The trick is to keep an open mind ask questions and try to understand the other person.

Your avatar reminds me of a person I once knew. Which is pretty scary.
Intellectual pride which we speak is narcissistic in nature.

Some Christians suffer from this as well because they are more willing to fight each other and tear each other apart than to to to take a stand against evil, cultural Marxism, relative moralism, sin, crime infecting their communities, or take the time to pray over these things for directions how to combat these.

Intellectual pride may not be the best words to describe oneself as having especially when one is humble enough to take correction. True Intellectual pride refuses correction based on objective truth. Before I became believer in Jesus, I had a bad case Intellectual pride but God in his mercy broke that in me. Amen.

True Intellectual pride refuses objective truths and seeks to take what God calls as abominations to make them morally acceptable as they deny the unhealthy facts about sin's consequences on the human body. There is right and wrong and there is black and there is white, and there is light and there is darkness, there is good (Functional) and there is evil (dysfunctional). A tree is known by its fruit.

This world is so messed up, only Jesus can fix it at the correct time. Come Lord Jesus and get is out of here... free us from the tyranny of the narcissists...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Blessed:

I think everyone suffers from it to some extent. I suffered from it a lot. Luckily, I recently got (mentally&emotionally) hammered quite hard for it and subsequently received a healing. I had a very bad case of Luke 14:11 "For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted" (the first part in my case).

Now, about that scary avatar. I'll tone it down a bit for you:-)

B.W.:

That's a really good post B.W. . I can't add much more to it other than maybe a small quote:

Archimandrite Father Dionysios: "....Recognizing our mistakes and our sins, this is the highest thing that we can do. And not to recognize our sins in order to succeed at something else, but just to see the truth about ourselves. Saint Isaac, the great mystic of the Church, says that one who accepts, who understands, who recognizes his sin in front of the Lord, in reality, he is the highest. He is greater than one who has gained all the world, who feeds all the people, who makes miracles, who resurrects the dead. This man, the first one, is bigger because he can never fall down. He has a stability, a level, a place where he can talk to the Lord. He has a place where he can invite the Lord with his tears, with his repentance, with the understanding that he has done wrong. And straightaway he becomes clear. The light comes from him. He becomes a spiritual doctor, a teacher or father, because he’s not afraid to recognize sins. It is not a problem for him to say, "Excuse me, it was my fault." This is the key to escape from all the drops of the devil."
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times