The Book of Job: Was Job Real? And if so, why would God allow Satan to test Job?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
B35Patriot
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

The Book of Job: Was Job Real? And if so, why would God allow Satan to test Job?

Post by B35Patriot »

Alright, this is a twofold question I have for all of you here, so bear with me.
1st Question: Is Job actually a real person, or is he part of an allegory or a parable? Yes, I am aware that both Ezekiel and James refer to Job, but that doesn't necessarily mean Job is real. Pointing to a fictional character, while unorthodox to some, I would say could be reasonable. (Feel free to disagree if you think I am wrong.)

2nd Question: Why would God allow Job to be tested? Yes, we can say that this "bet" of sorts was allowed, but there is one problem. God allowed Satan to kill Job's children and his slaves. What about them, are they just collateral damage? If you look through the Bible, from the Ten Plaques cast upon Egypt to the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, the people there had done things worthy of Earthly punishment. However, there is no apparent justification for this in the Book of Job. So, I am looking for an answer for why this was allowed.

Thank you, I am looking forward to your answers.

-Cheers!
B35Patriot
Blessed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: The Book of Job: Was Job Real? And if so, why would God allow Satan to test Job?

Post by Blessed »

1st Question: Yes. Job was a real person. He is described as such in grear detail. There is nothing in the book of Job that makes me think the book of Job is an allegory.

2nd Question: I do not know. I am not an expert in the least.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: The Book of Job: Was Job Real? And if so, why would God allow Satan to test Job?

Post by Kurieuo »

It is sometimes said in relation to the life of a person, or people, that it isn't right for someone to play God. Isn't one implication of this then that it is alright for God to "play God"?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

2nd Question: Why would God allow Job to be tested? Yes, we can say that this "bet" of sorts was allowed, but there is one problem. God allowed Satan to kill Job's children and his slaves.
Remember, God is far more concerned about the END/eternal results of people's lives. So the answers we don't know is what, eternally speaking, allows God to bring the most good? Let's say that the most total good/end results, per God's foreknowledge of all things is different than what WE can know. For instance, if those killed had faith in God, then they were immediately in Abraham's bosom/destined for Heaven - putting them IMMEDIATELY in a state of bliss, FAR better than their mortal existence. For those with no faith in God - there end result would have been the same: Damnation and eternal punishment - meaning, if they had been allowed to live until they died in their sleep at 100 years, their eternal fates would have been, horrifically, EXACTLY the same. Who knows that many of those witnessing what happened to Job were not moved toward faith - meaning, they may never have otherwise been moved toward faith and an eternity with God. Job is restored to twice of what he had before. Some of those around Job likely did not truly have faith in God. His wife suggests he curse God and commit suicide. And God grew Job to even greater faith than before. So there were many good outcomes for those who developed faith, or were moved to greater faith, through Job's trials. And for those in his orbit that did not have or come to faith - what has changed for them eternally, per their deaths? Not a thing!

Lastly, God tests all believers, on some level, at some point - to grow us in faith and wisdom. When do we most take in and truly remember and retain new growth, if not when we go through difficulties and trials? God Himself, in the human form of Jesus, did not avoid human trials of physical, emotional and spiritual pain. He is a God acquainted with trials and suffering - and far beyond what any human can know or experience.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

B35Patriot wrote:Alright, this is a twofold question I have for all of you here, so bear with me.
1st Question: Is Job actually a real person, or is he part of an allegory or a parable? Yes, I am aware that both Ezekiel and James refer to Job, but that doesn't necessarily mean Job is real. Pointing to a fictional character, while unorthodox to some, I would say could be reasonable. (Feel free to disagree if you think I am wrong.)

2nd Question: Why would God allow Job to be tested? Yes, we can say that this "bet" of sorts was allowed, but there is one problem. God allowed Satan to kill Job's children and his slaves. What about them, are they just collateral damage? If you look through the Bible, from the Ten Plaques cast upon Egypt to the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, the people there had done things worthy of Earthly punishment. However, there is no apparent justification for this in the Book of Job. So, I am looking for an answer for why this was allowed.

Thank you, I am looking forward to your answers.

-Cheers!
B35Patriot
1.Yes Job was a real person.I also believe the book of Job is the oldest book in the bible too written before Genesis.
2.I think that God allowed those things to happen to Job because he knew Satan would be wrong in the end.It allows us to see into Job's life that we all can learn from,even from those closest to him and how they reacted to the things happening to Job.There are many lessons to learn from seeing into Job's life as he goes though the trials of life that we all can face because we live in a fallen world.In the end Job was very blessed and throughout it all maintained his faith,which should challenge us when we face trials in our life knowing that in the end no matter what we may face it will be well worth it on the other side.When I read Job it makes me want to tell Satan that there is nothing you could do that would cause me to lose my faith in God.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.