The Ten Commandments

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

The Ten Commandments

Post by Christian2 »

The Ten Commandments were given to the Jews.

Are Gentile Christians supposed to follow them?

If so, why?

Thanks.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: The Ten Commandments

Post by PaulSacramento »

People are free to follow the Ten Commandments, if they so choose.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

PaulSacramento wrote:People are free to follow the Ten Commandments, if they so choose.
Were the 10 Commandments given to all mankind?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Christian2 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:People are free to follow the Ten Commandments, if they so choose.
What does scripture say?

Exodus 20:1-2 nasb:
20 Then God spoke all these words, saying,

2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of [a]slavery.

Sounds like they were given to someone specific, doesn't it? Isn't God speaking to someone specific?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Christian2 wrote:
No, they were given to Israel and Israel was to be the "priest" to the world by leading by example.
That was the covenant.

Are people supposed to follow the Ten Commandments?
That is their choice.

Unless there is a explicit statement by God like, "ALL shall follow ALL my commandments" ( and there isn't), then there isn't a directive for ALL to follow the 10 commandments ( or the 600+ other laws).
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Christian2 wrote:The Ten Commandments were given to the Jews.

If so, why?

Thanks.
Answer: Given to the Jews...

Why? God chose a people unto himself who would reveal who he is to the rest of the world as noted in Exodus 19:5,6 - Deut 10:15 -Isaiah 61:6... and they failed due to human sin nature issue witch later Jesus dealt with by the cross, resurrection, and new birth which now includes us as it is written in 1 Peter 2:9.

In other words, the Ten C's were for the whole world for several reasons such as

1-the world does not know God and they are lost without God

2-World is need of reconciliation and restoration back to God's original design for humanity

3-Sin needs to be defined

4-the most important, they reveal that God's love is actually-real. Love fulfills all the law...

Reason 4 is the most misunderstood aspect of the 10 Commandments. The Hebrew word translated as Commandment does not imply simply a ‘do it or else concept’ but rather denotes ‘Learning Responsibility concept.’

These are actually - Ten Responsibilities - on how to live right before God and each other.

God's great love is so idolized into human sentiment that the many in the church have no concept whatsoever of God's love.

Let me attempt to explain: We human beings raise children, we want our kids to grow up to be responsible, productive, knowing right from wrong. So, what do we do?

Do we define our love for our children to let them do whatever they want without limits, without guidance, without instruction, without disciple because love would never dare do that - because to do the opposite involves legalism…

No, most parents do not let their kids eat whatever they want, do whatever they desire, etc. Love first sets rules to teach responsibility that it is wrong to smack your siblings, tell lies, steal, be envious, jump out of a 3rd story window thinking you are super hero who can fly.

Love sets rules and defines what is right and what is wrong - objectively.

God so loved the world... he first set forth a people to shine through and set forth the rules of how to live responsibly before God and each other.

God, because of Love, first sent forth instructions on how to live responsible before Him and others. This defines what wrong and right is. Just like loving parents do to with our own kids - we first teach what? No, Yes, right, wrong...etc and etc. Logically, you got to start someplace.

However over time these responsibilities become weakened because they do not not deal with what is inside the human heart which produces and justifies manifestation of sin - the twisting and warping of love to gets one’s own selfish way.

For that reason, there is a need for an act of love to wake up humanity to what is inside their heart, Jeremiah 17:9,10. That act revealed by the events surrounding the cross, resurrection, and empowering work of the Holy Spirit in the heart brought forth by Jesus Christ. By which we learn what it means to love God and each other internally guided by faith in God's Grace rather than outwardly guided by legalism.

The 10 Responsibilities were first given in love by God like how we do so with our own Children. However, when kids get older responsibility is taught another way by trusting what Jesus accomplished and transformed as it is written in Rom 8:29

Read also: 2Co 3:18 - Eph 1:4 - Eph 4:24 - Php 3:21 - 1 John 2:5,6 -1 John 3:2 and Rev 1:5,6

Hope this helps
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Exodus 20:1-17Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

The Ten Commandments
20 Then God spoke all these words:

2 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the place of slavery.
3 Do not have other gods besides Me.
4 Do not make an idol for yourself, whether in the shape of anything in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters under the earth. 5 You must not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the fathers’ sin, to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing faithful love to a thousand generations of those who love Me and keep My commands.
7 Do not misuse the name of the Lord your God, because the Lord will not leave anyone unpunished who misuses His name.
8 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy: 9 You are to labor six days and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. You must not do any work—you, your son or daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the foreigner who is within your gates. 11 For the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and everything in them in six days; then He rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and declared it holy.
12 Honor your father and your mother so that you may have a long life in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.
13 Do not murder.
14 Do not commit adultery.
15 Do not steal.
16 Do not give false testimony against your neighbor.
17 Do not covet your neighbor’s house. Do not covet your neighbor’s wife, his male or female slave, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Are you saying that Christians are to follow these commands if we choose to?
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

B. W. wrote:
Christian2 wrote:The Ten Commandments were given to the Jews.

If so, why?

Thanks.
Answer: Given to the Jews...

Why? God chose a people unto himself who would reveal who he is to the rest of the world as noted in Exodus 19:5,6 - Deut 10:15 -Isaiah 61:6... and they failed due to human sin nature issue witch later Jesus dealt with by the cross, resurrection, and new birth which now includes us as it is written in 1 Peter 2:9.

In other words, the Ten C's were for the whole world for several reasons such as

1-the world does not know God and they are lost without God

2-World is need of reconciliation and restoration back to God's original design for humanity

3-Sin needs to be defined

4-the most important, they reveal that God's love is actually-real. Love fulfills all the law...

Reason 4 is the most misunderstood aspect of the 10 Commandments. The Hebrew word translated as Commandment does not imply simply a ‘do it or else concept’ but rather denotes ‘Learning Responsibility concept.’

These are actually - Ten Responsibilities - on how to live right before God and each other.

God's great love is so idolized into human sentiment that the many in the church have no concept whatsoever of God's love.

Let me attempt to explain: We human beings raise children, we want our kids to grow up to be responsible, productive, knowing right from wrong. So, what do we do?

Do we define our love for our children to let them do whatever they want without limits, without guidance, without instruction, without disciple because love would never dare do that - because to do the opposite involves legalism…

No, most parents do not let their kids eat whatever they want, do whatever they desire, etc. Love first sets rules to teach responsibility that it is wrong to smack your siblings, tell lies, steal, be envious, jump out of a 3rd story window thinking you are super hero who can fly.

Love sets rules and defines what is right and what is wrong - objectively.

God so loved the world... he first set forth a people to shine through and set forth the rules of how to live responsibly before God and each other.

God, because of Love, first sent forth instructions on how to live responsible before Him and others. This defines what wrong and right is. Just like loving parents do to with our own kids - we first teach what? No, Yes, right, wrong...etc and etc. Logically, you got to start someplace.

However over time these responsibilities become weakened because they do not not deal with what is inside the human heart which produces and justifies manifestation of sin - the twisting and warping of love to gets one’s own selfish way.

For that reason, there is a need for an act of love to wake up humanity to what is inside their heart, Jeremiah 17:9,10. That act revealed by the events surrounding the cross, resurrection, and empowering work of the Holy Spirit in the heart brought forth by Jesus Christ. By which we learn what it means to love God and each other internally guided by faith in God's Grace rather than outwardly guided by legalism.

The 10 Responsibilities were first given in love by God like how we do so with our own Children. However, when kids get older responsibility is taught another way by trusting what Jesus accomplished and transformed as it is written in Rom 8:29

Read also: 2Co 3:18 - Eph 1:4 - Eph 4:24 - Php 3:21 - 1 John 2:5,6 -1 John 3:2 and Rev 1:5,6

Hope this helps
-
-
-
Love God and love your neighbor just about covers the law.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Christian2 wrote:
Exodus 20:1-17Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

The Ten Commandments
20 Then God spoke all these words:

2 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the place of slavery.
3 Do not have other gods besides Me.
4 Do not make an idol for yourself, whether in the shape of anything in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters under the earth. 5 You must not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the fathers’ sin, to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing faithful love to a thousand generations of those who love Me and keep My commands.
7 Do not misuse the name of the Lord your God, because the Lord will not leave anyone unpunished who misuses His name.
8 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy: 9 You are to labor six days and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. You must not do any work—you, your son or daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the foreigner who is within your gates. 11 For the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and everything in them in six days; then He rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and declared it holy.
12 Honor your father and your mother so that you may have a long life in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.
13 Do not murder.
14 Do not commit adultery.
15 Do not steal.
16 Do not give false testimony against your neighbor.
17 Do not covet your neighbor’s house. Do not covet your neighbor’s wife, his male or female slave, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Are you saying that Christians are to follow these commands if we choose to?

It always has been and always will be about choice.