The Mistranslation Argument

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: The Mistranslation Argument

Post by jenna »

Nessa wrote:
jenna wrote:sorry, cant help myself here :popcornduo:
I'm personally holding out for the showdown at high noon...

:horseman: :horseman:

Seriously though, while not taking sides, I think to keep the emotionalism out of this would help*

*the irony of me saying that is not lost on me :shakehead:
yep. i was trying to throw a little humor in here, i hope it helps ease the tension.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Y'all worry too much. :P
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Jac3510 wrote:Y'all worry too much. :P
Maybe it was all just friendly banter? :econfused:

:lol:
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Of course is one TRULY wishes to understand bible translations and the process one can actually take a course on it and understand it at the academic level.
Or they can do this.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

YES, the mods ARE aware of this post and the destructive back and forth. I did not see it until last night. But it stops HERE and NOW!

While I don't agree with some of Jac's emotional response, I can see why he had it. He offered informed information and a link to past posts that address Audacity's assertions. But Audacity didn't address THOSE, he acted as if Jac was ONLY responding personally. Jac has many years of study and theological studies and understandings that offer scholarly insights to the pertinent texts of the Bible. So cheap shots and half-baked assertions are NOT what I would call a legitimate response. While I think Jac took his response too far, I do see why he's upset. He really hates to see half-baked stuff floated. And then when he takes the time to thoughtfully respond to such, and he's met with just arrogance that shows one isn't serious about understanding the issue - well, it really ticks him off.

Audacity: Personally, I dislike how you insist on putting your replies on a personal basis: you against whomever you disagree with, rather than keeping to the issues themselves. And that I've been forced to play your game here in order to set things straight doesn't help resolve the issue at all. I suggest that you take stock of your posting practices and stop being so arrogant, personally antagonistic, and purposely impolite.
The above is an example of a dishonest response! As Jac DID first offer a response that was entirely appropriate, thoughtful, and not in any way personal. That is not "playing a game." That is an assertion often made by those who don't have an answer to factual information - and so instead of attacking the argument or information, they disingenuously attempt change it over to only being a matter of a personal issue or attack. You failed to address the information contained in what he said about the issue at hand, and also linked to. Yes, Jac wasn't "polite" - but I can see why. And who the heck is "Brian?"

Audacity, I must ask why you are here? Seems you just feast upon controversy and are here to mostly argue or instill doubt about Christian teachings and the Bible. You have already been banned. You later began posting under another name - that's called being deceptive! And it seems you are right back at the same stuff that got you banned the last time. If all you want to do is continuously argue against Christianity and you really don't care what information or studied understandings are brought forward, then you should LEAVE! This is not a forum for those only wanting to pointlessly stir up issue after issue, for no real reason other than to bash Christianity.

Audacity, the mods have deemed you on thin ice - and VERY thin! Posting and being on this forum is a privilege, not a right.
Audacity
BANNED
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audacity »

Philip wrote:YES, the mods ARE aware of this post and the destructive back and forth. I did not see it until last night. But it stops HERE and NOW!

While I don't agree with some of Jac's emotional response, I can see why he had it. He offered informed information and a link to past posts that address Audacity's assertions. But Audacity didn't address THOSE, he acted as if Jac was ONLY responding personally. Jac has many years of study and theological studies and understandings that offer scholarly insights to the pertinent texts of the Bible. So cheap shots and half-baked assertions are NOT what I would call a legitimate response. While I think Jac took his response too far, I do see why he's upset. He really hates to see half-baked stuff floated. And then when he takes the time to thoughtfully respond to such, and he's met with just arrogance that shows one isn't serious about understanding the issue - well, it really ticks him off.

Audacity: Personally, I dislike how you insist on putting your replies on a personal basis: you against whomever you disagree with, rather than keeping to the issues themselves. And that I've been forced to play your game here in order to set things straight doesn't help resolve the issue at all. I suggest that you take stock of your posting practices and stop being so arrogant, personally antagonistic, and purposely impolite.
The above is an example of a dishonest response! As Jac DID first offer a response that was entirely appropriate, thoughtful, and not in any way personal. That is not "playing a game." That is an assertion often made by those who don't have an answer to factual information - and so instead of attacking the argument or information, they disingenuously attempt change it over to only being a matter of a personal issue or attack. You failed to address the information contained in what he said about the issue at hand, and also linked to. Yes, Jac wasn't "polite" - but I can see why. And who the heck is "Brian?"
"Brian" is Jac's real name. His having been a member for over 12 years and fairly well respected, so I gather, I thought this would be common knowledge, at least among the staff.
Audacity, I must ask why you are here?
I've found that very few Christians have any concept of the ramifications of their beliefs. Most being totally unprepared to defend the underpinnings of their assertions, pretty much going through life with a relatively unexamined faith. Now, for those who have no desire to defend their faith or prefer not to even think about it, that's fine. However, for those who do, those who perhaps find talking with the choir a bit of a bore, I'm offering them a chance to examine and perhaps discuss their beliefs with someone on the other side. Think of it as a chance to apply Socrates' dictum that "The unexamined life is not worth living." Of course this isn't a wholly unselfish enterprise on my part. It also helps me define my positions as well, and I find that temperate debate and exercising my reasoning skills to be satisfying in of itself. Of course, if you feel this kind of discourse has no place in the Christian life, or no place on Evidence for God from Science I won't pursue it any further. That said, I found Kurieuo's thread, The Delusion of "Free Will" to be very enlightening and fun, and look forward to participating in other nonreligious topics.
Last edited by Audacity on Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Audacity wrote:"Brian" is Jac's real name. His having been a member for over 12 years and fairly well respected, so I gather, I thought this would be common knowledge, at least among the staff.
:pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:

Not even close my man.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

audacity wrote:

"Brian" is Jac's real name. His having been a member for over 12 years and fairly well respected, so I gather, I thought this would be common knowledge, at least among the staff.
My Goodness gracious! I've got to apologize to Jac. I've been calling him by another name for a while now.

Forgive me, Brian? y[-o<
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

Byblos wrote:
Audacity wrote:"Brian" is Jac's real name. His having been a member for over 12 years and fairly well respected, so I gather, I thought this would be common knowledge, at least among the staff.

Not even close my man.
What? You think it's Paul?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Audacity wrote:
Byblos wrote:

Not even close my man.
Stop it man you're killing me. :pound:

Post edit: Not that it makes any difference what his real name is but I can assure you Jac's name is neither Brian nor Paul. So either you are confused as to who you think he is, or ... well I don't have an or so I guess you're just confused.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

Byblos wrote:
Audacity wrote:
Byblos wrote:

Not even close my man.

Post edit: Not that it makes any difference what his real name is but I can assure you Jac's name is neither Brian nor Paul. So either you are confused as to who you think he is, or ... well I don't have an or so I guess you're just confused.
Thou doth protest too much. :mrgreen:
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Audacity wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Audacity wrote:
Byblos wrote:

Not even close my man.

Thou doth protest too much. :mrgreen:
Watchu talkin about willis? No protesting, merely correcting confusion.

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Audacity was just trying to lighten the mood, right? :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

I'm going to start calling him Brian anyway :mrgreen:
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I know he's around here somwhere? y:-?

He's easy to confuse, heh heh - he's known to go by several very clever aliases. In the hood he's known as "Jac the Ripper." (Seems he got that nickname as he's rather fond of eating large quantities of beans :shock: ).