Revelation 22:18-19

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Revelation 22:18-19

Post by Christian2 »

Revelation 22:18 I testify to everyone who hears the prophetic words of this book: If anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book. 19 And if anyone takes away from the words of this prophetic book, God will take away his share of the tree of life and the holy city, written in this book.

It seems salvation is dependent upon anyone adding or taking away from the words of all of the book of Revelation.

Is this how you all see it?

Thanks.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: Revelation 22:18-19

Post by Byblos »

Christian2 wrote:Revelation 22:18 I testify to everyone who hears the prophetic words of this book: If anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book. 19 And if anyone takes away from the words of this prophetic book, God will take away his share of the tree of life and the holy city, written in this book.

It seems salvation is dependent upon anyone adding or taking away from the words of all of the book of Revelation.

Thanks.
I really don't see it as a salvation issue. For example, nothing is said of those who don't hear the prophetic words of this book. In effect what John is saying here is issuing a warning against future prophecies (not just false ones, but all prophecies), thereby sealing the book on prophecies with Christ. Other than private revelations, all prophecies after Christ are false prophecies. I think that's John's message.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Byblos wrote:
Christian2 wrote:Revelation 22:18 I testify to everyone who hears the prophetic words of this book: If anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book. 19 And if anyone takes away from the words of this prophetic book, God will take away his share of the tree of life and the holy city, written in this book.

Thanks.
I really don't see it as a salvation issue. For example, nothing is said of those who don't hear the prophetic words of this book. In effect what John is saying here is issuing a warning against future prophecies (not just false ones, but all prophecies), thereby sealing the book on prophecies with Christ. Other than private revelations, all prophecies after Christ are false prophecies. I think that's John's message.
Thank you.

I hadn't looked at it like that. I think you are right.

Another thing:

Revelation 1: The revelation of Jesus Christ that God gave Him to show His slaves what must quickly (or soon) take place.

It seems they did not quickly take place. Do you have any thoughts on that verse?

Thanks.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Christian2 wrote:
Byblos wrote:

Thanks.
Thank you.

Another thing:

Revelation 1: The revelation of Jesus Christ that God gave Him to show His slaves what must quickly (or soon) take place.

It seems they did not quickly take place. Do you have any thoughts on that verse?

Thanks.
Considering I'm not pre-trib obviously I don't see Rev 1 indicating a "when" (as in soon it will happen) but a "how" (as in these events will happen in rapid succession when they start, we just don't know when they will start). When read this way, there is no contradiction with Matthew 24:36 in which it is stated that no one knows the hour (so how could John know it's soon).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Byblos wrote:
Christian2 wrote:
Byblos wrote:

Thanks.
Thank you.

Another thing:

Thanks.
Considering I'm not pre-trib obviously I don't see Rev 1 indicating a "when" (as in soon it will happen) but a "how" (as in these events will happen in rapid succession when they start, we just don't know when they will start). When read this way, there is no contradiction with Matthew 24:36 in which it is stated that no one knows the hour (so how could John know it's soon).
I have to tell you that your input is better than some of the commentaries I have read on this subject.

Now I have to read up on Pre-Tribulation.

Bible study never ends.

Thanks again.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Joseph Smith, the founder of Mormonism actually began changing and rewriting the Book of Revelation. He was killed by fellow Mormons shortly afterwards and never finished the rewrite.

Food for Thought...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

B. W. wrote:Joseph Smith, the founder of Mormonism actually began changing and rewriting the Book of Revelation. He was killed by fellow Mormons shortly afterwards and never finished the rewrite.

Food for Thought...
-
-
-
Good thing he was saved!
:stirthepot:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Byblos wrote:

Thanks.
Joel 2:28

It's Still Got The Joel You Need
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAR98j2DNjI
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.