Gospel of John 7:53-8:11

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Gospel of John 7:53-8:11

Post by Christian2 »

I don't know if any of you are interested in John 7:53-8:11 and the fact that the earliest manuscripts don't include it (critics use this to blast the Gospel of John), but I have a couple of links that discuss these verses.

https://danielbwallace.com/2013/06/26/w ... ally-from/

https://taarcheia.files.wordpress.com/2 ... lterae.pdf
SoCalExile
Valued Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Gospel of John 7:53-8:11

Post by SoCalExile »

It's a fair inclusion. The event illustrates the hypocrisy of the religious Jews in regards to how their deeds contradicted their statements in John 7, and it illustrates how Christ lead by example and not just words.
God's grace is not cheap; it's free.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

SoCalExile wrote:It's a fair inclusion. The event illustrates the hypocrisy of the religious Jews in regards to how their deeds contradicted their statements in John 7, and it illustrates how Christ lead by example and not just words.
If there are Lukeisms in these passages then how did it end up in the Gospel of John and not Luke?
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

John was the last Gospel written. A copyist may have borrowed from Luke and placed the event in context to further illustrate the hypocrisy of the Pharisees in contrast to Christ. That doesn't make it uninspired, since the event did occur in the other gospels.

Compare it to a modern harmonization, such as The Life of Christ in Stereo, the fact that it combines all the gospels into one doesn't take away from each individually. In other words, it's still the gospel.
God's grace is not cheap; it's free.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

SoCalExile wrote:John was the last Gospel written. A copyist may have borrowed from Luke and placed the event in context to further illustrate the hypocrisy of the Pharisees in contrast to Christ. That doesn't make it uninspired, since the event did occur in the other gospels.

Compare it to a modern harmonization, such as The Life of Christ in Stereo, the fact that it combines all the gospels into one doesn't take away from each individually. In other words, it's still the gospel.
I agree, there is only one Gospel.

But, a copyist borrowing does not explain why the most reliable manuscripts do not include it.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Christian2 wrote:
SoCalExile wrote:John was the last Gospel written. A copyist may have borrowed from Luke and placed the event in context to further illustrate the hypocrisy of the Pharisees in contrast to Christ. That doesn't make it uninspired, since the event did occur in the other gospels.

I agree, there is only one Gospel.

But, a copyist borrowing does not explain why the most reliable manuscripts do not include it.
Or you could say that those manuscriptrs are not terribly reliable. The whole "old = reliable" thing is something of a fallacy. Maybe true that the Alexandrian texts are more reliable, but you can't really argue that so much from their age.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Thank you to all who replied.