Does God Really Care?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Audacity
BANNED
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Does God Really Care?

Post by Audacity »

abelcainsbrother wrote:OK but you come into a Christian forum and expect not to hear preaching?
Yup. But it looks like my mistake, and I'll have to go into ignore mode when it pops up.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

I think you guys don't know trolling when you see it.

For the OP, if you care, a link to discussion guidelines on G&S: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... hp?f=1&t=4

And perhaps more importantly, a link to the purpose of this website, both of which you probably (should have) read before posting this.....topic. http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... f=1&t=2517

But considering how you respond to people who provide you with links to further discourse and discussion, I feel like this very post is moot.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

@Audacity, re: Scripture I can only assume this issue is personal in some way.

Seriously, English translations aren't really an issue as far my own thoughts are concerned.
We have the original language we can refer back to, and Biblical scholars do.

With translations, you can often read a spiel at the front of the Bible regarding what the version focussed upon.
That is, what the translators were interested in with their translation and how they went about it.
For example, KJV is more literal word-for-word translation in older English. NKJV is word-for-word in modern English.
NIV they take the context of a few sentences, and translate the passage to get across the correct meaning.
NASB, I guess American's just wanted their own NKJV, but it also focussed upon tense.
MSG well, throw it in the trash.

Re: the passages, you can always look up the original language in a lexicon.
And many people do who want to get a better understanding and feel for what is being said.
BUT, seriously, one word. Serious? (said with a high pitch voice :P)
Look up the passage in the Blue Letter Bible online. Biblical Hebrew only has a few thousand words.
Words can express different meaning and context is important. Try to come to your own conclusion.

But, you know, reading the Bible for the first time, I certainly got the depressing message loud and clear about how much we fail and don't add up to God's standard. Many denominations find agreement on the main things. The plain things. Like anything you want to know, if you want to know, it's there to be pursued.

If you take a look at the Christians on this board, you'll see we often debate each other. Over this and that. Even quite heatedly so. In the end, there is a single message:
  • All have sinned and stand condemned, however it's only by grace we've been saved by faith in Christ. Nothing we've done or deserve merits God's favour, and our lives show we're not perfect.
I seriously doubt you'll find much to like in this post of mine, but I guess there's some hope.
Really feel we're at polar ends and this post isn't really in any way at the core of your disbelief.
Nonetheless, I did want to leave you with a more direct response.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Hortator wrote:I think you guys don't know trolling when you see it.

For the OP, if you care, a link to discussion guidelines on G&S: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... hp?f=1&t=4

And perhaps more importantly, a link to the purpose of this website, both of which you probably (should have) read before posting this.....topic. http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... f=1&t=2517

But considering how you respond to people who provide you with links to further discourse and discussion, I feel like this very post is moot.

Why do you think I was trip trapping over the bridge? :mrgreen:
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:

Trip trapping over the bridge? Is that a reference to trolling?

Or, do you live near a bridge that you keep tripping over? y:-?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Audacity wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:OK but you come into a Christian forum and expect not to hear preaching?
Yup. But it looks like my mistake, and I'll have to go into ignore mode when it pops up.
So apparently I'm the humanistic, PC version of Christianity so I guess I don't preach but apostate :mrgreen:
So by that standard, you can trust me, cause I'm not preaching rather giving a different approach? :ewink:

Look I'm not too fond of the a stringent approach to scripture because theologians have argued continuously over history. Which is why there are such different trains of thoughts in regards to interpretation.
I have my opinion, but I am very open to the principle that I am biased, not because I'm a bigot but because human nature dictates that I will align to kindred ideals.

Looking at scripture, it is a collection of biographies, history, stories and prophetic revelations.
When you translate between languages, cultures and centuries there will be error.
Especially when Ancient Hebrew is a very different language to English. One word may have several applications. It is then left to the discretion of the translator to interpret the correct application.
There are discrepancies
Different ideas of interpretations.

But that's not unique to scripture,
Historical accounts of ancient or modern history is always dependent on the author and reader.
Ancient history is argued among historians as to the exact context or linguistic meaning, but the text isn't thrown out as authentic due to a discrepancy in interpretation.
Even modern history has different interpretations. None of which discredits the account but is more of a testament to our diverse understanding.
Religious text that isn't open to diverse interpretation I would actually be more wary of, as that is a sign of conformity, not truth.
Believe this or else.
I actually think that diverse thinking breeds truth, although it's a convoluted path.
But the alternative is a principle, that we may like argumentatively but in reality is just not wired to how we think or exercise free thought or will.
We are subject to our limitations.
We instinctively digress against absolutes.
We don't want a dictatorship on thought or belief. We may argue when it comes to God and revelation it may be the ultimate way to do away with confusion and dissent but I think it may be quite the opposite because we can't escape our makeup.
People want choice, regardless whether it's material or spiritual. Nothing becomes so absolute it takes away freewill.
Not even God, regardless of whether we were present when Jesus walked on water or made water into wine because people witnessed such and still disbelieved.
Freedom, is a notion we speak of quite selfishly at times without realising how intrinsic it is to our existence. So much so, that not even God would impede upon because without it, we really are reverted to nothing but compliant robots. Which firstly doesn't honor us or God.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:

Both, I'm clumsy, and I read.

And goats are smart.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:
RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:

Both, I'm clumsy, and I read.

And goats are smart.
Ok. Now I'm completely lost. Must be some British joke.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Billy Goats Gruff?

The troll under the bridge?

And there is a bridge near where I live and im clumsy.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Billy Goats Gruff?

Nope. Never heard of it.

I googling I will go, a googling I will go...

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:

Nope. Never heard of it.

Seriously?

You never heard of it? :shock:

Heathen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:
RickD wrote:

Nope. Never heard of it.

Seriously?

You never heard of it? :shock:

Heathen.
I don't read books. Books are boring. :stirthepot:

-Edward R Murrow

Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

Kurieuo wrote:@Audacity, re: Scripture I can only assume this issue is personal in some way.
Not at all. It's just something that occurred to me, so I put it out here to find out what others thought about it.
Re: the passages, you can always look up the original language in a lexicon.

You mean one is expected to go through the entire Bible looking up every word, and every time it appears? Of course not. People rely on their Bible as is, expecting its translations to be correct. Sometimes to be the inerrant word of god himself.
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

melanie wrote:
Audacity wrote:
So apparently I'm the humanistic, PC version of Christianity so I guess I don't preach but apostate :mrgreen:
So by that standard, you can trust me, cause I'm not preaching rather giving a different approach? :ewink:
Thanks for your interesting thoughts, and for not preaching.