Scriptual proof of abortion being a sin?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
JurassicTerrorist
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Scriptual proof of abortion being a sin?

Post by JurassicTerrorist »

No, i'm not pro-choice, nor am i here to "necessarily" debate, i just want to know the evidence of abortion in the Bible. Heck i've even heard "liberals" claim that abortion being a sin is a "myth".
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Scriptual proof of abortion being a sin?

Post by abelcainsbrother »

JurassicTerrorist wrote:No, i'm not pro-choice, nor am i here to "necessarily" debate, i just want to know the evidence of abortion in the Bible. Heck i've even heard "liberals" claim that abortion being a sin is a "myth".
Thou shalt not kill.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Thou shalt not murder.

You can start with that.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

I dont agree with abortion BUT
thou shall not kill, murder.. why does that not apply in war?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Storyteller wrote:I dont agree with abortion BUT
It is not murder when a person kills in a war like David and Goliath.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:I dont agree with abortion BUT
all killing is not murder.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

So killing and murder is different? How?

Am thinking hard about this especially in light of Syria, trying to understand it. Accept it.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Storyteller wrote:So killing and murder is different? How?

Am thinking hard about this especially in light of Syria, trying to understand it. Accept it.
Technically the soldier or the Police officer must be in the line of duty however it is not murder in the eyes of God if they are in the line of duty upholding the laws of the land and must kill to do it.

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

JurassicTerrorist wrote: Heck i've even heard "liberals" claim that abortion being a sin is a "myth".
And you dont have to be religious to believe abortion is wrong either.
http://thefederalist.com/2015/07/27/you ... -is-wrong/
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

JurassicTerrorist
Familiar Member

RickD wrote:Thou shalt not murder.

You can start with that.
I was thinking of something more specific like if the unborn baby has a personhood. Pro-choice people claim personhood comes at birth, so therefore they mean it's not wrong to kill an unborn child.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

JurassicTerrorist wrote:

You can start with that.
I was thinking of something more specific like if the unborn baby has a personhood. Pro-choice people claim personhood comes at birth, so therefore they mean it's not wrong to kill an unborn child.
Yes. I know the argument. They believe location determines personhood. Not the least bit logical, IMO.

I don't know of any scripture that mentions personhood. But take scripture out of the argument. Have them look at it scientifically. When does human life begin?

-Edward R Murrow

JurassicTerrorist
Familiar Member

RickD wrote:
JurassicTerrorist wrote:

You can start with that.
Yes. I know the argument. They believe location determines personhood. Not the least bit logical, IMO.

I don't know of any scripture that mentions personhood. But take scripture out of the argument. Have them look at it scientifically. When does human life begin?
When the sperm cell unites with the female egg (ovum), but i think it's more about whether or not a baby has a mental state inside the womb (e.g a personality). As for the Bible, from what i can see, it seems like it says the baby has a personhood e.g Luke 1:44, Jeremiah 1:5.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Perhaps straying a little off topic, but interesting read nonetheless:
http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/con ... onist.html

-Edward R Murrow

EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Luke 1:44

I think this fits very well JT.

Does anyone else find it particularly interesting that the first announcement made to and from Christ on earth was done as an unborn child - to an unborn child ? Can there be any better example of why you don't kill innocent, unborn children ... Yes, certainly there are many reasons for abortion ... some may even be valid, but the entirety (well over 1 billion since 1980) of cannot be explained by those potentially valid reasons.
http://www.numberofabortions.com/

Oh yes, from the moment of conception God placed us as individual persons. If He can use babies to introduce himself to the world, how can we remove the very instruments of our salvation from His use ?
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine