Alcohol/Wine

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Anonymous

Alcohol/Wine

Post by Anonymous »

How should we view wine or alcohol?
Doesn't deuteronomy say not to even look red wine or something (I can't find verse, hoping someone knows where it is).
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

Post by Prodigal Son »

:? i thought jesus liked wine. didn't he turn water into wine at a wedding? i think if we abuse alchohol and allow it to consume our lives that that is bad. but i don't think that occasional drinking is wrong.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yeah but what about deuteronomy verse?
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

I looked up the info you were seeking. I hope that this helps. By the way, Noah was a drunk. I believe God doesn't approve on excess on alcohol.

Deuteronomy 7:13
He will love you and bless you and increase your numbers. He will bless the fruit of your womb, the crops of your land-your grain, new wine and oil-the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks in the land that he swore to your forefathers to give you.
Deuteronomy 7:12-14 (in Context) Deuteronomy 7 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 11:14
then I will send rain on your land in its season, both autumn and spring rains, so that you may gather in your grain, new wine and oil.
Deuteronomy 11:13-15 (in Context) Deuteronomy 11 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 12:17
You must not eat in your own towns the tithe of your grain and new wine and oil, or the firstborn of your herds and flocks, or whatever you have vowed to give, or your freewill offerings or special gifts.
Deuteronomy 12:16-18 (in Context) Deuteronomy 12 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 14:23
Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always.
Deuteronomy 14:22-24 (in Context) Deuteronomy 14 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 14:26
Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice.
Deuteronomy 14:25-27 (in Context) Deuteronomy 14 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 18:4
You are to give them the firstfruits of your grain, new wine and oil, and the first wool from the shearing of your sheep,
Deuteronomy 18:3-5 (in Context) Deuteronomy 18 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 28:39
You will plant vineyards and cultivate them but you will not drink the wine or gather the grapes, because worms will eat them.
Deuteronomy 28:38-40 (in Context) Deuteronomy 28 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 28:51
They will devour the young of your livestock and the crops of your land until you are destroyed. They will leave you no grain, new wine or oil, nor any calves of your herds or lambs of your flocks until you are ruined.
Deuteronomy 28:50-52 (in Context) Deuteronomy 28 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 29:6
You ate no bread and drank no wine or other fermented drink. I did this so that you might know that I am the LORD your God.
Deuteronomy 29:5-7 (in Context) Deuteronomy 29 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 32:33
Their wine is the venom of serpents, the deadly poison of cobras.
Deuteronomy 32:32-34 (in Context) Deuteronomy 32 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 32:38
the gods who ate the fat of their sacrifices and drank the wine of their drink offerings? Let them rise up to help you! Let them give you shelter!
Deuteronomy 32:37-39 (in Context) Deuteronomy 32 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 33:28
So Israel will live in safety alone; Jacob's spring is secure in a land of grain and new wine, where the heavens drop dew.
Deuteronomy 33:27-29 (in Context) Deuteronomy 33 (Whole Chapter)
seedling
Recognized Member

Post by seedling »

Hi guys, you have read the bible. There are many verses that speak on drunkeness and wine. Even without reading the bible, we know drunkeness isn't a good thing. It is not the drinking of alcohol that is the problem. It's when the alcohol starts to separate your head from your spirit. When you are escaping from the reality that is in your heart. You feel your soul is being dissipated instead of being made whole. You know when you have crossed the line without reading any verse. God gave you a spirit, it discerns all things.
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

Good point seedling!
Joel Freeman
Familiar Member

Post by Joel Freeman »

Okay, this topic has been forgotten for a week or so, but I have some input.

1Co 6:19 Don't you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and who was given to you by God?

Our body is a temple, and God doesn't want us to destroy it. Things like alcohol, tobacco, and drugs kill our bodies which is why God doesn't want us to do them. That is why I find smoking to be unacceptable, too.
It's when the alcohol starts to separate your head from your spirit. When you are escaping from the reality that is in your heart.
Exactly. When you are drunk/high God isn't there, and you are very open to Satans attacks. When you aren't thinking logically and clearly then it's very easy to be decieved.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I need help with this topic because I am writing a ethics paper on it. I have read somewhere that they would drink wine instead of water a lot because the water was filled with all types of bacteria and such, so they drank wine to not get sick. I need help fining a repitable site that share this same information. THIS IS DUE TOMORROW AT 1 O'CLOCK!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!! :( :(:(
The edge
Established Member

Post by The edge »

Alcohol works as an antiseptic. It helps to purify the water. This is one purpose that people use wine as a drink in the early days.
This probably don't apply anymore with modern technology.

For me, when I drink, I can feel that I'm more relax & have a much lowered guard on what I do not usually say. That perhaps is what wine does to add excitment to parties. People will be more "open".

To me, this is part of losing control of your rightful faculty & that make it wrong for me...even tho I may not be technically drunk.
However, I do recognise that there are medicinal properties in alcohol & thus would not object to it being as a health tonic (e.g. DOM).
However some of it's touted medicinal properties (like being good for the heart) could also be found in other fruits.
It could probably be alright when use as a taste enhancer for food.
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

Everything must be taken in moderation. Everything.

God gives us all things and some things are intended for specific uses (Hemp for rope and clothes and foods, NOT DRUGS 8) ) and some are to be used in moderation. God gives us wine and we enjoy it, but we're told not to overdrink. The same principle works with water, you need it for survival yet drink too much, and you keel over from water poisoning.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Dan wrote:Everything must be taken in moderation. Everything.

God gives us all things and some things are intended for specific uses (Hemp for rope and clothes and foods, NOT DRUGS 8) )
Err... really? Not drugs? Oops... ;) just kidding... seriously, just kidding! :lol:

Kurieuo.
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

Kurieuo wrote:
Dan wrote:Everything must be taken in moderation. Everything.

God gives us all things and some things are intended for specific uses (Hemp for rope and clothes and foods, NOT DRUGS 8) )
Err... really? Not drugs? Oops... ;) just kidding... seriously, just kidding! :lol:

Kurieuo.
Hehe :D

Seriously though, Cannabis is a wonderful plant, it can be used for almost everything other plants are used for. It can do everything and no one uses it =( If they used hemp instead of cotton for clothing, we'd be able to solve hunger AND keep ourselves clothed, while making rope, and loads of other things. It's a very big shame that a few people abuse it and get the plant banned from the US :cry: Maybe if they planted it instead of tobbaco or cotton we wouldn't have this world hunger problem. Cannabis seeds are non-hallucinogenic and healthy for you. They also reduce sperm count (another way to have safe sex anyone?) in men if eaten in sufficient quantities.

Note : Smoking Cannabis flowers isn't great for you and it's not healthy to distort your mind with any drugs. I'm sure there's a passage SOMEWHERE in the Bible that frowns upon such things.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 23, 2005 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Having read a great deal of Greek myths, I usually find attempts to link Jesus to them downright idiotic. There is no virgin birth in greek myths for starters. And which legend was the walking on water part "borrowed" from?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 23, 2005 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.