How is it possible that none of Jesus' bones were broken

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

How is it possible that none of Jesus' bones were broken

Post by Christian2 »

How is it possible that none of Jesus' bones were broken when nails were driven into His hands(wrists) and feet?

John 19:36, These things happened so that the scripture would be fulfilled: "Not one of his bones will be broken,"

Thanks you.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: How is it possible that none of Jesus' bones were broken

Post by PaulSacramento »

The Romans were very good at what they did, killing people and/or making them suffer.
The driving of the nails into the hands/wrists and feet would have been done in-between the bones so as to use the bones as "anchor points".
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

PaulSacramento wrote:The Romans were very good at what they did, killing people and/or making them suffer.
The driving of the nails into the hands/wrists and feet would have been done in-between the bones so as to use the bones as "anchor points".
Thank you.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

PaulSacramento wrote:The Romans were very good at what they did, killing people and/or making them suffer.
Besides which, how else would the prophecies have been fulfilled (Exodus 12:46, Psalms 34:20)? The Passover lamb must be unblemished, with no broken bones. Jesus is the perfect Passover lamb that takes away the sins of the world (John 1:29).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Byblos wrote:
Besides which, how else would the prophecies have been fulfilled (Exodus 12:46, Psalms 34:20)? The Passover lamb must be unblemished, with no broken bones. Jesus is the perfect Passover lamb that takes away the sins of the world (John 1:29).
There is that and I believe God is perfectly capable of seeing that no bone was broken.

And, one has to wonder if the Romans put a nail through one of the bones in the victim's feet, how the damaged foot could have provided enough support to keep the victim on the cross. Seems to me the bone would have fractured or broken into pieces to the extent that the victim would no longer be able to push up to breath and would have died within a very short time and victims sometimes hung on the cross for days.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Christian2 wrote:
Byblos wrote:
There is that and I believe God is perfectly capable of seeing that no bone was broken.

And, one has to wonder if the Romans put a nail through one of the bones in the victim's feet, how the damaged foot could have provided enough support to keep the victim on the cross. Seems to me the bone would have fractured or broken into pieces to the extent that the victim would no longer be able to push up to breath and would have died within a very short time and victims sometimes hung on the cross for days.
Of course, but I thought you were asking a non-theological question.

RE the foot thing:
It was done in a few different ways supposedly and in some cases there was even a little "seat" so that the person could survive even longer.
Crucifixion was a torture death and people were supposed to last for days.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Christian2 wrote:
Byblos wrote:

RE the foot thing:
It was done in a few different ways supposedly and in some cases there was even a little "seat" so that the person could survive even longer.
The Romans would break legs in order to hurry death. Wouldn't braking the bones in the ankle have had the same effect?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Christian2 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Christian2 wrote:
Byblos wrote:

RE the foot thing:
The Romans would break legs in order to hurry death. Wouldn't braking the bones in the ankle have had the same effect?
Nope, the shins were the bones broken for quicken death.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

PaulSacramento wrote: Nope, the shins were the bones broken for quicken death.
I know that. My point is that putting a nail through the bone in the ankle might have the same effect -- shattering the bone so that it would break by pushing up to breathe.
JeanHooper
Newbie Member

Post by JeanHooper »

How do we know that none of his bones weren't broken?
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Christian2 wrote:
Byblos wrote:

Wasnt the purpose and custom to make it as bad as possible, and then leave the corpse there as a display?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Yes, that was the purpose -- torture and humiliation, which was to serve as a deterrent to anyone who would dare question or challenge the authority of Rome.

edit:

As an interesting (to me) aside, we say things like I just did above rather flippantly given how common knowledge such is. But sometimes I think we miss as a result of that just how deep that "principle" went in Rome (at least, during certain points in its history). It's easy to equate this notion with crucifixion, but it was bigger than that. For just one example, look up the practice of decimation. At least the death penalty exists in some nations today, and so the crucifixion is only considered barbaric insofar as it was torture. It wasn't a humane way to put people to death. So it's shocking, but only because of the torturesque aspect. But decimation . . . can you imagine a military unit doing that today? Sheesh. Should give you a taste as just how barbaric that society really was, or at least, how barbaric it could be. Take that understanding to the crucifixion, and I think you get a whole new appreciation for the cruelty it embodied.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

What of morality if (since) ice cream makes me ill?
Last edited by Audie on Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Does not compute.

I've been reading bylaws and constitutions all day.

:| y=P~
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JButler »

I've been studying the Roman Empire's history more in-depth after learning of my ancestor's probable involvement with the Praetorian Guard and cavalry units for the legions. The Romans were a real Jekyll and Hyde bunch, building incredible structures on one hand but using that same ingenuity to torture and kill people. They took delight with experimenting with different ways to extend the suffering of those to be killed. In some areas they had hundreds of crosses alongside roads with the corpses left on them after death for the deterrent factor.

The Romans are as repulsive as they are fascinating.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.