Quick answers about Bible

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Quick answers about Bible

Post by 1over137 »

This thread is for asking quick questions on the Bible. If you do not want to start a new thread post your question here. If it shows later there is more to discuss then start a new thread.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
SeekingSanctuary
Established Member
Sex: Male

Re: Quick answers

Post by SeekingSanctuary »

A question on Mathew 22, Parable of the Wedding Banquet/Feast

Okay, so the guests were supposed to be wearing appropriate attire, wedding feast clothes or something. Anyway, I looked up a little on this and found some people claiming on forum discussions about it claiming it was part of the culture for Kings to give them the clothing.

So, here's my question. Is there any sources talking about this that aren't just forum discussions or answer sites? Do we know this stuff for sure or are we just guessing about the culture?

I get that its talking about salvation, and my question doesn't really involve the teaching. I'm trying to understand the custom, not the parable. For example, lets say the invitees were other nobles, would the King still be expected to provide the clothing?
Mazzy
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Quick answers

Post by Mazzy »

SeekingSanctuary wrote:A question on Mathew 22, Parable of the Wedding Banquet/Feast

Okay, so the guests were supposed to be wearing appropriate attire, wedding feast clothes or something. Anyway, I looked up a little on this and found some people claiming on forum discussions about it claiming it was part of the culture for Kings to give them the clothing.

So, here's my question. Is there any sources talking about this that aren't just forum discussions or answer sites? Do we know this stuff for sure or are we just guessing about the culture?

I get that its talking about salvation, and my question doesn't really involve the teaching. I'm trying to understand the custom, not the parable. For example, lets say the invitees were other nobles, would the King still be expected to provide the clothing?
I am not a historian. I had a look for you on the net and found this below. I couln't find anything that said KIngs bought wedding clothes. It seems it was not common for Kings to give clothing out for wedding feasts to anyone simply as some cultural norm. I have never heard of such a claim. However, like any family, if one is rich one may think it probable that the rich, be they king or simply a family head may buy the wedding clothes. It may also be a family thing. For example my grandmother bought the material for my wedding dress and paid for the dress making.

"Fancy clothes were a status symbol. Laws were passed that forbade peasants from wearing fancy clothes, which they couldn’t afford anyway."

http://westernreservepublicmedia.org/mi ... nobles.htm

I also found this for you....Look at page 313 where it says each person was expected to buy their own wedding garments. The king doing so is not supported by evidence.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=ttT ... &q&f=false

I think the suggestion the king bought the clothes is purely parabolic and reflective of God, the King, being the only one that can give out the wedding clothes, ie salvation, a righteous standing and the invitation to be a part of the bride class.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Quick answers about Bible

Post by B. W. »

Romans 12:2, And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect NASB

What do you think renewing the mind involves?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Mazzy
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Mazzy »

B. W. wrote:Romans 12:2, And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect NASB

-
-
-
I think renewing your mind may refer to deeper biblical reasoning and changing or deepening ones initial perspective. Christianity, indeed theism, is not something that happens in an instant really, it is more like a journey or process.

An example may be one might suggest going to war or being a soldier is a sin because one must kill. Then on examining scripture further and examining ones conscience you may see that protecting a nation from invasion by Islamists or fighting to save people from oppression in a country is reasonable and a gesture of loving ones neighbour. Another example may be one may be inculcated into a sect and was taught that those that do not keep the Saturday Sabbath are not pleasing to God. Then you may read and look further and see that indeed we are released from the law and are now in a Sabbath rest in Jesus. Hence we can mature and the scriptures become alive with deeper meaning.

So with maturity a Christian renews their thinking. In a way, your thinking process evolves. One understands others behaviour and reasoning in another light. This is turn leads to a 'good' and well trained Christian conscience where one matures from being a 'babe'.

That's what I think. It would be interesting to hear what others think. :)
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Mazzy wrote:So with maturity a Christian renews their thinking. In a way, your thinking process evolves. One understands others behaviour and reasoning in another light. This is turn leads to a 'good' and well trained Christian conscience where one matures from being a 'babe'.
In general, I agree with you. I would add that renewing of the mind can only come through prayer and meditation on the Word: these are evidence of a relationship with God. As I am transformed by any close relationship, I will be transformed by my intimate relationship with Christ.

FL :teacher:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Thank you, there are great answers!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
SeekingSanctuary
Established Member

Post by SeekingSanctuary »

I was reading John recently and I came to a question: Were any of the Apostles known to be illiterate? There was a scene where Jesus reading was seen as miraculous which got me to thinking, not all were from an educated social class and not everyone was literate at the time. What percentage do you think were literate from the beginning?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

All Jews were taught the basic Torah as children. so they were not completely illiterate, also Paul, John, Peter, Matthew and Judas seemed to know how to count, read and write.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Where exactly in the new testament did the laws of sanitation and diet become abrogated? I'm frustrated at atheists constantly prodding us with this, but I feel I should have known it anyway
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

1) They were given to Israel. Paul had a falling out with Peter over them, and Peter conceded in embarrassment Paul was right. Paul talks of them no longer binding for those in Christ. Rather "circumcision is of the heart".
2) One can choose to try be saved by Law, or saved by grace through faith in Christ.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

And only the latter saves.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Hortator wrote:Where exactly in the new testament did the laws of sanitation and diet become abrogated? I'm frustrated at atheists constantly prodding us with this, but I feel I should have known it anyway
Some point to this passage in Luke:
Mark 7:19

Although some point out that the bracketed words don't appear in all manuscripts and others suggest that what it means is that foods are clean regardless of hand-washing.

As usual with bible verses, there is more than one way to interpret what was written.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Mazzy wrote:
B. W. wrote:Romans 12:2, And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect NASB

-
-
-
I think renewing your mind may refer to deeper biblical reasoning and changing or deepening ones initial perspective. Christianity, indeed theism, is not something that happens in an instant really, it is more like a journey or process.

An example may be one might suggest going to war or being a soldier is a sin because one must kill. Then on examining scripture further and examining ones conscience you may see that protecting a nation from invasion by Islamists or fighting to save people from oppression in a country is reasonable and a gesture of loving ones neighbour. Another example may be one may be inculcated into a sect and was taught that those that do not keep the Saturday Sabbath are not pleasing to God. Then you may read and look further and see that indeed we are released from the law and are now in a Sabbath rest in Jesus. Hence we can mature and the scriptures become alive with deeper meaning.

So with maturity a Christian renews their thinking. In a way, your thinking process evolves. One understands others behaviour and reasoning in another light. This is turn leads to a 'good' and well trained Christian conscience where one matures from being a 'babe'.

That's what I think. It would be interesting to hear what others think. :)

Philippians 4:8 "Finally brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, if there is any virtue -- and if there is anything praiseworthy -- meditate on these things."
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

A persons' mind is 'renewed' through reading God's Word / Christian literature / It Does make a difference in our attitudes - what we put into our minds -- through reading material , TV shows, movies we watch, the music we listen to.