Act 12:4

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Act 12:4

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Passover or Easter? Many have stated Passover and Unleavened breads are treated the same so is Easter really pagan or something else?
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Re: Act 12:4

Post by neo-x »

I think the roots of easter celebration are quite pagan, so is christmas...many who observe closely the jewish festivals may say its a carry over but historically that is simply not true. Today this makes sense but in the day and age it was not so. There is nothing in the N.T which suggests that the early church held these holidays...that came later.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by PeteSinCA »

One thing to keep in mind about some claims of pagan roots is that "Easter" is English (and possibly Germanic). Latin languages - and Christianity came to Latin-speaking regions around the Mediterranean before coming to Germanic and British lands - use a form of the Latin word for "Passover" (which was probably a transliteration from the Hebrew or Aramaic word for that festival). Thus, in Spanish, "Feliz Pascua," means, "Happy Easter." So all the silliness - just being bluntly honest - about Easter = Ishtar and Easter being Babylonian pagan falls apart when one looks at other languages in areas to which Christianity came before coming to Germanic and British lands.

But, more importantly, what are Christian believers in churches that observe Easter commemorating and honoring? The Babylonian goddess Ishtar? The Egyptian god Osiris? Of course not! They are honoring Jesus' death and resurrection.
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

We need to understand that we Christianity became the predominate religion in pagan areas, certain customs we retained and "Christianized", much like the ritual water purification rites became Baptisms ( and baptisms were a form of the mikveh).
Easter is a very Christian thing, only Christians celebrate the resurrection the way we do.
That some customs got associated with it is, well, human nature.
I do think that the easter bunny and easter eggs is a very silly thing though.
SeekingSanctuary
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by SeekingSanctuary »

Wasn't baptism a Jewish custom? I know the Essenes did it.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

PaulSacramento wrote:We need to understand that we Christianity became the predominate religion in pagan areas, certain customs we retained and "Christianized", much like the ritual water purification rites became Baptisms ( and baptisms were a form of the mikveh).
Easter is a very Christian thing, only Christians celebrate the resurrection the way we do.
Paul, I am not saying easter today is not christian...simply that it has no true christian roots. It was imported into the christian culture. That it wasn't originally christian to begin with.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

neo-x wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:We need to understand that we Christianity became the predominate religion in pagan areas, certain customs we retained and "Christianized", much like the ritual water purification rites became Baptisms ( and baptisms were a form of the mikveh).
Paul, I am not saying easter today is not christian...simply that it has no true christian roots. It was imported into the christian culture. That it wasn't originally christian to begin with.
If you mean MODERN day celebrations have some pagan influences then yes BUT the celebration of the resurrection of Christ IS a Christian thing 100%.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

neo-x wrote:
Neo is actually correct on this one... Celebrating easter is not a Biblical.. Celebrating Pesach is however.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Here is what I found

Anyway, the point I am trying to make here is that, yes, Ishtar was associated with fertility and sex. However, her symbols were the lion, the gate and the eight-pointed star; I can’t find any evidence of eggs or rabbits symbolically belonging to her. And Easter has nothing to do with her.

Most scholars believe that Easter gets its name from Eostre or Ostara, a Germanic pagan goddess. English and German are two of the very few languages that use some variation of the word Easter (or, in German, Ostern) as a name for this holiday. Most other European languages use one form or another of the Latin name for Easter, Pascha, which is derived from the Hebrew Pesach, meaning Passover.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

One thing I have noticed is that people that are against religion ( Christianity typically) will pretty much accept anything you tell them that makes Christianity look bad and they won't even source it.
Easter and Christmas are two favorite targets of this.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

IS there any other proof for Easter