Question

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Question

Post by 1over137 »

My favorite movie is Pay it forward. The main character dies when stabbed with knife. It is depicted as wrong.
Would you condemn also such movie?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

soldiersofthecross wrote:Whats the point of watching such things when their not helping us spiritually?
I don't know. I don't watch such things because they just seem childish, like watching a cartoon. But I do enjoy science-fiction once in a while...isn't that similar on some level?

FL :innocent:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
soldiersofthecross
Acquainted Member
Sex: Male

Post by soldiersofthecross »

But does it teach you anything about God or the scriptures? Does it teach you how to overcome sin?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

soldiersofthecross wrote:But does it teach you anything about God or the scriptures? Does it teach you how to overcome sin?
Nope. It just entertains. (Well...I guess if I wanted to justify myself, I could claim that Sci-Fi always has the good guys winning...)

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

soldiersofthecross wrote:But does it teach you anything about God or the scriptures? Does it teach you how to overcome sin?
Harry Poter, or Lord of the rings, well, does it not teach not to give up fighting evil?

I like documentaries about universe and science (it shows magnificent creation of God), I love Doctor Quinn (people are so nice there to each other), I like watching true stories (it shows me well, true stories). I even watch movies I do not like that much (it shows me something about our culture and people).

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

And I also watch funny movies, just for fun.

#foreverinmyheart
soldiersofthecross
Acquainted Member

That's good to know. And there is nothing wrong with entertainment or laughter. But it all depends on what you find funny (a butch of people being rude or sinful? or the kind of entertainment).

With that said, it is relevant to note that the devil our adversary is not against fun, happiness, worldly pleasures, lusts, peace and 'good'. No he's against God/Jesus Christ. From he removes Jesus and everything He represents, mission accomplished. So no matter how something looks good to the eye,it doesn't mean it is necessarily good for us (spiritually that is). We must judge the substance/content within to determine if it is really good for us. And we have the Bible as a standard to compare things to.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

soldiersofthecross wrote: We must judge the substance/content within to determine if it is really good for us. And we have the Bible as a standard to compare things to.
''We must judge'' is expecting too much, and borders on legalism. In any event, a saved Christian is saved no matter what he does. As for the rest of humanity, even if they are wonderful and nice, give all their money to the poor and only watch religious TV, they are still on the road to hell.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by UsagiTsukino »

But can a Christan live sinful lifestyle and still be saved. I don't think so.
soldiersofthecross
Acquainted Member

That is not so my friend. A Christian can lose their salvation if they continue in sin (that is if they were saved in the first place to start with- self proclaimed Christians). But enough of me, let see what the Word of God says:

1 Corinthians 6:9 - "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind," This scripture clearly states that if you are a 'Christian' and you are guilty of these sins, that is all sins, you will NOT enter Heaven (if you died in them without repenting or if the Son of Man came and catch you in them).

Let see what Jesus says in Matthew 7:21-23, "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." And these was Christians (saved people) Jesus was speaking about, but no ordinary Christians, but Preachers of the Gospel. They probably preached the Gospel day and night, but yet still they themselves didn't follow the Word of God; behind closed doors they did things that no Child of God should be doing. They hide from man, but they couldn't hide from God; for the eyes of God move to and fro across the earth searching the hearts of man. So it is with us normal Christians, if we are hypocrite to the Word of God, Jesus Himself will rebuke and deny us on that Day.

1John 3:7-9 puts it this way, "Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." So until a person truly learns to resist and overcome sin through the knowledge of God's Words, is that person born of God (born again). This is true as seen in 2 Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."

In Matthew 10:22 Jesus says to His disciples, "But he who ENDURES to the end will be saved." Our Lord repeats the same teaching in his end of the world discourse in Mark 13:13. If these statements do not admit the possibility of falling away then what do they mean? If it is impossible to fall away, these statements would have no meaning. Why would Jesus even have to say them? The context makes clear that it is a warning.

Christians can fall and lose their salvation (backslide), but it is not over for them. As long as there is life, they can repent and turn away from their sinful lives. Then Jesus can truly come in and restore all that was lost. If we were saved permanently, the devil wouldn't be trying so hard to turn us away from Christ through trials and temptations. The devil is not after the world (sinners). No, he already 'has' them. He want us Christian. The devil is coming from Heaven, and He knows what it is like to be there in the present of Almighty God. Because of his sinful heart, he is destined for Hell, and he would want nothing better than to see us all spend eternity with him in torment. He missed his chance. So will you let sin do the same for you?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

soldiersofthecross wrote: Christian can lose their salvation if they continue in sin (that is if they were saved in the first place to start with- self proclaimed Christians).
A Christian cannot lose his salvation. God is able to complete the work He has started in those whom He has called. The biblical refences you present as evidence of your belief are out-of-context. Since this question has been dealt with extensively already in other threads, I won't comment on it.
UsagiTsukino wrote:But can a Christan live sinful lifestyle and still be saved. I don't think so.
In all probability, a Christian won't live a sinful lifestyle but all Christians continue to sin. And we sin every day, day in and day out. If we could only get into heaven by being sinless, we would have been better off to die right after our conversion, like the theif on the cross in Luke, chapter 23. The righteousness we have - and which is our ticket into heaven - is imputed to us: it is not ours, it belongs to Jesus and it is credited to us who have accepted Him as Lord.

FL y~o)

+ + +

+ + +
soldiersofthecross
Acquainted Member

Out of context. Please.

If you can provide scriptures from the Bible which proves your idea, then I'm willing to consider. Otherwise you are wrong.

Luke 23:32-43, (NAS95) 32 Two others also, who were criminals, were being led away to be put to death with Him. 33 When they came to the place called The Skull, there they crucified Him and the criminals, one on the right and the other on the left. 34 But Jesus was saying, "Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing." And they cast lots, dividing up His garments among themselves. 35 And the people stood by, looking on. And even the rulers were sneering at Him, saying, "He saved others; let Him save Himself if this is the Christ of God, His Chosen One." 36 The soldiers also mocked Him, coming up to Him, offering Him sour wine, 37 and saying, "If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself!" 38 Now there was also an inscription above Him, "THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS." 39 One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, "Are You not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!" 40 But the other answered, and rebuking him said, "Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41 "And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong." 42 And he was saying, "Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!" 43 And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

That thief on the cross wasn't a reflection of the righteousness of the Body of Christ; his act was an act of faith. He acknowledged and believed that Jesus was the Son of God, right there on that cross. This man was no saint or believer in Jesus before, he was a thief and a criminal; that is why he was being crucified in the first place. This man was destined for Hell. But it was at the cross he got saved, forgiven and delivered. The man did not die in sin and he was remorseful; thank God Jesus was right there. Jesus looked pass the man many sins, and saw his heart; and found him worthy. However if we die in sin (did not repent of sins we know we had committed), then there is no Paradise for us. The Thief was blessed to get a chance to repent of his sins before death; many of us won't be so lucky.

I'm sorry but what you've written above has no support in the scriptures (unless you can provide some).
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Soldiersofthecross,

There are plenty of threads on this forum discussing if a believer can lose his salvation. Do a search if you're interested. You might learn how others see how scripture lines up with a believer not losing salvation.

And since you're looking for scripture to back up the belief that a believer cannot lose his salvation, start with probably the most well known bible verse. John 3:16:
16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His [a]only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

Read the verse. Do a study on the Greek if you want. If you're honest, I bet you'll see that John 3:16 says that one can't lose salvation.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
soldiersofthecross
Acquainted Member

I just finish browsing through one of the threads, entitled "once saved always saved?" by Vanquish29. I think he did a perfect job in explaining it. And I agree with that person.

And I still stand by what I said.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

soldiersofthecross wrote:I just finish browsing through one of the threads, entitled "once saved always saved?" by Vanquish29. I think he did a perfect job in explaining it. And I agree with that person.

And I still stand by what I said.
You wanted scriptural proof. Please study John 3:16, and tell me what you think.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony