Question

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Post Reply
User avatar
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:10 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Question

#1

Post by UsagiTsukino » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Is it wrong to love fantasy , magic, and myth books? such has the Harry Potter series. I don't know abput you but I learn a lot about God though this series. I love Wonder Woman comics I love because they follow the Christan of love and peace. Your take? I ask this because I want to be an animator
These users liked this post by UsagiTsukino:
RockyMidnight (Wed May 30, 2018 6:17 am)

User avatar
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:38 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: United Kingdom
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Question

#2

Post by Silvertusk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:56 pm

I do not have a problem with fantasy, in fact apart from Theology books, it is all I every read. Love Lord of the Rings, Harry potter, Buffy, angel etc. they are just good stories. Mostly stories about courage, love and good overcoming evil. Potter has so many similarities to biblical stories it is uncanny.

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Question

#3

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:04 pm

There used to be a moderator here, cslewislover, who saw God expressing Himself through popular culture. She was also into animes. Perhaps you could go knocking at her virtual door to wake her up. She would be the best person to answer you here.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9654
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 611 times

Re: Question

#4

Post by Kurieuo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:46 am

UsagiTsukino wrote:Is it wrong to love fantasy , magic, and myth books? such has the Harry Potter series. I don't know abput you but I learn a lot about God though this series. I love Wonder Woman comics I love because they follow the Christan of love and peace. Your take? I ask this because I want to be an animator
Really? y:-?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

User avatar
FlawedIntellect
Established Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 10:48 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: Question

#5

Post by FlawedIntellect » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:28 pm

Kurieuo wrote:
UsagiTsukino wrote:Is it wrong to love fantasy , magic, and myth books? such has the Harry Potter series. I don't know abput you but I learn a lot about God though this series. I love Wonder Woman comics I love because they follow the Christan of love and peace. Your take? I ask this because I want to be an animator
Really? y:-?
Take a look at the username: "Usagi Tsukino."

It's a reference to the Japanese version of Sailor Moon, where the main character who transforms into Sailor Moon is "Tsukino Usagi". (Humorously enough, the name is a pun on Tsuki no Usagi, which literally means "Moon Rabbit" or alternately "Rabbit of the Moon". Asians tend to see the image of a rabbit when they look at the moon, much like how people in the West tend to see the face of a man in the moon.)

This person may perhaps be an anime fan to some extent. I wouldn't be too surprised if someone who enjoys animated fiction aspires to one day become involved in the production of animated fiction.

That said, I lean a bit more toward science fiction in my personal taste than fantasy, though fantasy can be an interesting genre.

User avatar
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:38 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: United Kingdom
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Question

#6

Post by Silvertusk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:01 am

Silvertusk wrote:I do not have a problem with fantasy, in fact apart from Theology books, it is all I every read. Love Lord of the Rings, Harry potter, Buffy, angel etc. they are just good stories. Mostly stories about courage, love and good overcoming evil. Potter has so many similarities to biblical stories it is uncanny.

In fact just watched the Return of the King again with my wife this weekend (the extended edition) We were both a blubbering wreck at the end of it...again.

User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3559
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 226 times
Been liked: 104 times
Contact:

Re: Question

#7

Post by neo-x » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:04 am

UsagiTsukino wrote:Is it wrong to love fantasy , magic, and myth books? such has the Harry Potter series. I don't know abput you but I learn a lot about God though this series. I love Wonder Woman comics I love because they follow the Christan of love and peace. Your take? I ask this because I want to be an animator
Its no problem at all.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.


//johnadavid.wordpress.com

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 19903
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino
Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 958 times

Re: Question

#8

Post by RickD » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:55 am

Silvertusk wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:I do not have a problem with fantasy, in fact apart from Theology books, it is all I every read. Love Lord of the Rings, Harry potter, Buffy, angel etc. they are just good stories. Mostly stories about courage, love and good overcoming evil. Potter has so many similarities to biblical stories it is uncanny.

In fact just watched the Return of the King again with my wife this weekend (the extended edition) We were both a blubbering wreck at the end of it...again.
You cried because of The Lord of the Rings? :shock:
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:38 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: United Kingdom
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Question

#9

Post by Silvertusk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:29 am

RickD wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:I do not have a problem with fantasy, in fact apart from Theology books, it is all I every read. Love Lord of the Rings, Harry potter, Buffy, angel etc. they are just good stories. Mostly stories about courage, love and good overcoming evil. Potter has so many similarities to biblical stories it is uncanny.

In fact just watched the Return of the King again with my wife this weekend (the extended edition) We were both a blubbering wreck at the end of it...again.
You cried because of The Lord of the Rings? :shock:

Have you seen the films!!!?!?!?

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 19903
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino
Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 958 times

Re: Question

#10

Post by RickD » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:01 am

Silvertusk wrote:
RickD wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:I do not have a problem with fantasy, in fact apart from Theology books, it is all I every read. Love Lord of the Rings, Harry potter, Buffy, angel etc. they are just good stories. Mostly stories about courage, love and good overcoming evil. Potter has so many similarities to biblical stories it is uncanny.

In fact just watched the Return of the King again with my wife this weekend (the extended edition) We were both a blubbering wreck at the end of it...again.
You cried because of The Lord of the Rings? :shock:

Have you seen the films!!!?!?!?
The Lord of the Rings trilogy was my third favorite trilogy, behind the two Star Wars trilogies. I loved all 3 LOTR movies.

But cried? Perhaps I'm not as in touch with my feminine side, as you are. y:-? :lol:
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 5828
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 124 times

Re: Question

#11

Post by Byblos » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:21 am

RickD wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:
RickD wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:I do not have a problem with fantasy, in fact apart from Theology books, it is all I every read. Love Lord of the Rings, Harry potter, Buffy, angel etc. they are just good stories. Mostly stories about courage, love and good overcoming evil. Potter has so many similarities to biblical stories it is uncanny.

In fact just watched the Return of the King again with my wife this weekend (the extended edition) We were both a blubbering wreck at the end of it...again.
You cried because of The Lord of the Rings? :shock:

Have you seen the films!!!?!?!?
The Lord of the Rings trilogy was my third favorite trilogy, behind the two Star Wars trilogies. I loved all 3 LOTR movies.

But cried? Perhaps I'm not as in touch with my feminine side, as you are. y:-? :lol:
Come on Rick, that last scene when the entire kingdom including the newly-crowned king bow before the hobbits? If that doesn't bring wetness to your eyes I don't know what will. I don't recall this scene in the book but I'm glad it was added in the movie. It follows Tolkien's thinking perfectly, from a biblical perspective (think Luke 9:48).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

User avatar
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:38 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: United Kingdom
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Question

#12

Post by Silvertusk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:55 am

Come on Rick, that last scene when the entire kingdom including the newly-crowned king bow before the hobbits? If that doesn't bring wetness to your eyes I don't know what will. I don't recall this scene in the book but I'm glad it was added in the movie. It follows Tolkien's thinking perfectly, from a biblical perspective (think Luke 9:48).
That was the pivotal moment that led to the blub fest, but also when they said goodbye to Frodo and Gandalf at the Grey Havens.

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9654
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 611 times

Re: Question

#13

Post by Kurieuo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:18 am

Silvertusk wrote:
Come on Rick, that last scene when the entire kingdom including the newly-crowned king bow before the hobbits? If that doesn't bring wetness to your eyes I don't know what will. I don't recall this scene in the book but I'm glad it was added in the movie. It follows Tolkien's thinking perfectly, from a biblical perspective (think Luke 9:48).
That was the pivotal moment that led to the blub fest, but also when they said goodbye to Frodo and Gandalf at the Grey Havens.
Don't worry Silver, I understand you and your wife completely.
1525222_769600556402650_818097705_n.jpg
How I Feel After Putting The Kids To Bed
1525222_769600556402650_818097705_n.jpg (48 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 19903
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino
Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 958 times

Re: Question

#14

Post by RickD » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:26 am

You are all a bunch of pansies!!!!! :dancing:
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:38 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: United Kingdom
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Question

#15

Post by Silvertusk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:02 am

Kurieuo wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:
Come on Rick, that last scene when the entire kingdom including the newly-crowned king bow before the hobbits? If that doesn't bring wetness to your eyes I don't know what will. I don't recall this scene in the book but I'm glad it was added in the movie. It follows Tolkien's thinking perfectly, from a biblical perspective (think Luke 9:48).
That was the pivotal moment that led to the blub fest, but also when they said goodbye to Frodo and Gandalf at the Grey Havens.
Don't worry Silver, I understand you and your wife completely.
1525222_769600556402650_818097705_n.jpg

Brilliant K.

"I can't carry it Frodo - But I can carry you!!!!" y:(( y:(( y:((

Post Reply