The Law

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The Law

Post by RickD »

KBCid wrote:
RickD wrote:I just came across this podcast at Reasons.org, that has a brief discussion about eating pork. Just thought I'd throw it out there, as we were discussing this before. It's at the 26:04 mark:http://www.reasons.org/podcasts/i-didnt ... n-got-pork
Their ultimate answer to the pork question is "I don't see anything wrong with eating it".

But really why do people think God commanded them not to eat pork? was it because it was offensive to God? I would consider this verse for a moment;

Deu 4:40 Thou shalt keep therefore his statutes, and his commandments, which I command thee this day, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee, and that thou mayest prolong thy days upon the earth, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, for ever.

God didn't just give people commands for his own pleasure in placing demands on his creation. There were commands given to help guide us through a long life. He built the living system, he knows from the inside out what is good or bad for our fleshly system and our spiritual system.

Why You Should Avoid Pork
Pork 101: Know the Facts
Pork is one of the most consumed meats in the world. China is the largest producer of pigs that were first domesticated way back around 7500 B.C. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that more than 100 viruses come to the United States each year from China through pigs. There are some obvious concerns about this. Aside from not needing more viruses to fight off, some of these viruses can prove to be downright dangerous to humans.
Of course, you’re probably familiar with H1N1, better known as ‘the swine flu.” This too is a virus that has made the leap from pig to human.
But H1N1 is not the only disease to fear from the pig. There are other sicknesses you can get from eating the meat of the pig.
Pork meat is loaded with toxins, more so than most other meats like beef and chicken.

Is Pork Meat Toxic?
There are reasons that the meat of the pig becomes more saturated with toxins than many of its counterpart farm animals. The first reason has to do with the digestive system of a pig............
http://www.draxe.com/why-you-should-avoid-pork/

Our maker gives commands for a reason. Pork may not be a sin against God but, you could consider it a sin against our own bodies. The Jewish nation had added a multitude of meanings and additional intents within Gods word to make it a burden to keep and the pork issue was taken far beyond its initial intent making it a sin against God himself if you ate it... but the more realistic truth would be that God loved man and gave him instruction for taking care of his flesh and soul. So if you want to eat pork its not a sin before God as he has stated but then you are left with the question "if it was never a sin against him then why did he give that instruction?" and would that reason still stand.

I have children and I commanded them to look both ways before crossing the street. Imagine that such a simple command could get taken to the extreme and at some future point people who get caught not looking both ways could be stoned to death for it..... Such a rationale would make the original command of none effect since it was intended solely to help protect life. These are the types of rationales that Christ fought against. Telling the people that such things are not a sin against God would be the only truthful thing that could be stated. However, the statement doesn't negate the original intent.

It will always be wise to look both ways before crossing the street.
I only have one thing in response to this: REAL MEN EAT BACON! :wave:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I only have one thing in response to this: REAL MEN EAT BACON!
I'm with you on this one. :ebiggrin:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

neo-x wrote:
I only have one thing in response to this: REAL MEN EAT BACON!
I'm with you on this one. :ebiggrin:
Preach! :amen:

SB y:-?
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
KBCid
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by KBCid »

Deu 8:3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

Mat 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

This is one our free choice option to honor the intent of the instruction given by the maker of our fleshly system . The other choice is to do according to our own understanding and not take into account the original intent of Gods word when it was given.
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
//www.allaboutgod.net/profiles/blogs/chri ... each-other
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Man shall not live by bread alone, but by bread surrounding slabs of bacon. :mrgreen: y:@) y:@) y:@) y:@)
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

KBCid

Post by KBCid »

Isa 65:1 I am sought of them that asked not for me; I am found of them that sought me not: I said, Behold me, behold me, unto a nation that was not called by my name.
Isa 65:2 I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts;
Isa 65:3 A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face; that sacrificeth in gardens, and burneth incense upon altars of brick;
Isa 65:4 Which remain among the graves, and lodge in the monuments, which eat swine's flesh, and broth of abominable things is in their vessels;
Isa 65:5 Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day.
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

KBCid » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:50 am

Isa 65:1 I am sought of them that asked not for me; I am found of them that sought me not: I said, Behold me, behold me, unto a nation that was not called by my name.
Isa 65:2 I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts;
Isa 65:3 A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face; that sacrificeth in gardens, and burneth incense upon altars of brick;
Isa 65:4 Which remain among the graves, and lodge in the monuments, which eat swine's flesh, and broth of abominable things is in their vessels;
Isa 65:5 Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day.
y:-/ y:-/ y:-/
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

KBCid

Post by KBCid »

neo-x wrote: y:-/ y:-/ y:-/
Why are you confused?

Who is speaking here and who is being spoken about?

A rebellious people... I wonder who they could be?

What people eat swines flesh.... certainly not Jews.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

What people eat swines flesh.... certainly not Jews.
Oh you meant people like me. I get it.

Thanks for the judgement call. Must be really comfortable for God, seeing you doing his job on earth until he returns. :lol:

without.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Bacon is awesome
Unless you’re a Jew

-Edward R Murrow

Zionist
Established Member

Post by Zionist »

@ Rick
you know it's one thing to disagree with someone and it's another to degrade and disrespect someone...what you are doing is not very Christ like...real men eat bacon huh? so you must think Christ wasn't a real man because i assure you He kept a diet prescribed in scripture...i am not amused one bit. im saddened by this childish display from you Rick..i find no humor in any who partake in bashing others like this i don't.
Our rightousness is of filthy rags and in the eyes of God all have gone astray and nobody is justified under the Law. We are saved by the Grace of God through our faith in Him and in Him who he has sent Jesus Christ alone. There is no other way.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Zionist » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:16 pm

@ Rick
you know it's one thing to disagree with someone and it's another to degrade and disrespect someone...what you are doing is not very Christ like...real men eat bacon huh? so you must think Christ wasn't a real man because i assure you He kept a diet prescribed in scripture...i am not amused one bit. im saddened by this childish display from you Rick..i find no humor in any who partake in bashing others like this i don't.
Take it easy zioist, he was just joking. there is no bashing here. You are just reading more into his words than necessary.

without.

Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

Zionist wrote:@ Rick

Just because you've never eaten bacon...

SB
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Zionist wrote:@ Rick
Zionist,
I was not degrading nor disrespecting anybody. "Real men eat bacon" was a joke. It was meant to lighten the mood of this thread. Nothing else.

1 Timothy 4:1-4 1But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, 2by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron, 3men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth. 4For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; 5for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.

Frankly, I'm a little offended by believers who forbid other believers from eating certain foods, including bacon. I am thankful to God for all He has given me. And it's a little disturbing that certain believers are trying to take away my freedom in Christ, by saying I have to adhere to a law that wasn't even meant for me.

The big question we all need to ask ourselves(and I'm not excluding myself from this): Are we living under God's Grace, or are we trying to gain God's approval by obeying the law?

-Edward R Murrow

Zionist
Established Member

Post by Zionist »

@ Sam
your statement is also very non Christ like. i honestly don't care if you are joking or not but you should respect other peoples choice of diet. Christ followed the Torah so he did not eat pork. would you respond to him with such a childish comment?
@ Rick
if you want to eat pork that is your choice but if someone does not want to then that is also fine. the food laws described in the Torah were never meant to be taken legalistically but more so for your own health...regardless if you are having fun or not i still find it very childish, disrespectful and un Christ like to poke fun at people who decide to not eat pork as prescribed in the torah...you said real men eat pork so you are saying the jewish people and Jesus aren't real men which i do find very disrespectful...
@neo
so its okay to bash the jewish people and messiah to have fun? i personally do not find it funny
Our rightousness is of filthy rags and in the eyes of God all have gone astray and nobody is justified under the Law. We are saved by the Grace of God through our faith in Him and in Him who he has sent Jesus Christ alone. There is no other way.