Book of Enoch

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Meadow
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes

Book of Enoch

Post by Meadow »

The book of Enoch is excluded from the Old Testament, along with other books. It gives detailed description on the fallen angels, which I believe is one of the main reasons for its exclusion. I have only browsed the outline of the book, but has anyone read the book and able to give your opinion? Is it really not God inspired?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Book of Enoch

Post by B. W. »

Meadow wrote:The book of Enoch is excluded from the Old Testament, along with other books. It gives detailed description on the fallen angels, which I believe is one of the main reasons for its exclusion. I have only browsed the outline of the book, but has anyone read the book and able to give your opinion? Is it really not God inspired?
Yes, I have read it and other books as part of college reading of ancient texts and study in that area. It is an interesting read in study of ancient literature style and form. It also could have started as an original work but other parts may have forged and added into it later. That area is still open for debate by scholars today concerning the book. It was largely left out of cannon for those reasons and a few other reasons as well.

The Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs written around 107-137 BC provides another good read as in many places, speaks of how to identify the Messiah and his work, which Jesus fulfilled. In it also contains illustrations and quotes as well supports the ancients knew and understood that eternal punishment was real and lasting forever in the afterlife.

Those are my opinions on these books. Each influenced the ancient peoples in the BC era and AD as well. They do provide insights in that regard. There was a reason the bible chapters we have today were canonized and those are sufficient for equipping us in the knowledge of God and Savior.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
CeT-To
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by CeT-To »

Apparently through a quick wiki read of the "The Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs" it is a jewish book where christians touched it. Any scholarly articles on the historicity of the book, Bryan? Seems interesting!
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

CeT-To wrote:Apparently through a quick wiki read of the "The Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs" it is a jewish book where christians touched it. Any scholarly articles on the historicity of the book, Bryan? Seems interesting!
Yes, there were fragments of these found in the Dead Sea Scrolls which places the dates back to 100 to 137 BC. These are fragments form "The Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs" which seem to verify these writing exsisted before Christ came to earth and were used and known about in the 1 AD as well. The Fragments are in line with the current translations. What would be nice is to have several complete books instead of fragments.
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys