Explain weird sex laws in old testament

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Thyczko
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Explain weird sex laws in old testament

Post by Thyczko »

Why does God condone rape in Deuteronomy 22:28 ?
Truth is God truly honor marriage between one man and one woman. In old times adultery was a cause for death.
The answer to this question is in Job out of all places satan has to ask God to harm us . So everything is predetermine but we have free will of the heart to love God or not. This is explained in Romans some people for noble purposes others for common purposes God does not harm people but He does allow Satan to test us from time to time.
The man sin but the woman can honor God if she views that as wedding bond. Its hard to explain Loving God is sometimes more then our feelings.

Thank God we live in the age of grace thru Jesus Christ. A woman is no longer under moses law She is forgiven if she sleeps with other men if she asks .
God takes the vow of marriage very serious that what this law is showing not that he condones rape. The man would die if the woman was engaged or married. the woman would die if she let it happen and people could help . If she people could not help she did no wrong

What do think God thinks of free love today?
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Explain weird sex laws in old testament

Post by Ivellious »

What does this have to do with adultery? Neither party is married or engaged at this point. This law basically states that a man can have whomever he wants if that girl isn't already "claimed." As stated earlier, raping a girl who is engaged gets the death penalty for both people. In this case, well, only the man needs to consent, so oh well.

Are you saying you honestly believe God condones rape? This passage does say that it is a law of Israel, as sick and twisted as they happened to live back then, despite being God's "chosen people."
dayage
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by dayage »

Ivellious,
This law basically states that a man can have whomever he wants if that girl isn't already "claimed."
That is not what this law states (Exodus 22:16-17; Deut. 22:28-29).
As stated earlier, raping a girl who is engaged gets the death penalty for both people.
Only under certain conditions (Deut. 22:23-27).
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

That is not what this law states (Exodus 22:16-17; Deut. 22:28-29).
Sorry, let me clarify: If a man rapes a girl, and pays the father for it, all is forgiven and the girl is stuck with the man forever, because only the man has to give consent.
Only under certain conditions (Deut. 22:23-27).
The only "condition" is that if the rape happens outside the city, then she can get off the hook. Otherwise, it's her fault too.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

What makes you so strongly believe "rape" is in mind here. Have you closely examined the passages in question?
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Your answering-islam.org link is more what I had in mind. Tektonics appears to accept the NIV (wrong imo) translation, however, they also link to http://www.mandm.org.nz/2009/07/sunday- ... apist.html as an alternate explanation which also rightly delves into the meaning of words used.
dayage
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by dayage »

I agree, the answering-islam.org link is very good.
educationreigns
Acquainted Member

Post by educationreigns »

Every christian will beat around the bush and say "your taking it out of context, don't read bible verses" but I read the whole chapter, and it was clear what it meant.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

educationreigns wrote:Every christian will beat around the bush and say "your taking it out of context, don't read bible verses" but I read the whole chapter, and it was clear what it meant.
educationreigns wrote:I still don't have an answer, do you believe in EVERY bible verse or NOT? I read your reply thoughtfully and hope you don't think I dislike you. I believe in loving my fellow man I'm just upset.
You received very adequate answers regarding you statement. Suggest you look on the main web page of this site and review many of the articles.

You observe passages here referring to Old Testament (OT) Law. OT law purpose was to expose sin, define it, and point to the need for Jesus Christ to deal with it. As it is written…

Gal 3:24, “Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.” NKJV

This verse says backs up what I just stated…

Romans 3:20, “Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.” NKJV

Again…

Romans 8:3, 4, 5, “For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.” NKJV

Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.

So, if your desire is to place your trust in the OT Law – then live by it and you’ll discover that sin revives and you, yourself, will be cut off from the congregation of the Lord.

Have you come to Christ, yet?

If so, you share what Jesus Christ did?

Have a nice day
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Thyczko
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Thyczko »

God allows for slavery God allows for bad things to happen to people God allows rape to happen
Satan Does all evil in the World God sometimes test us Book of Job
So sometime bad things happen to good people

Jews were God choose people God wants us to love other people but put a few laws in the old testament as a stumbling block to trip up us. To see if we love him or not Or do we love manmade tradtions That what Jesus was saying to the Phariasses.

God was telling the jews what to do in a worse case Senario

God is Love

Sorry for the confusion
Tina
Established Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Tina »

Thyczko wrote:God allows for slavery God allows for bad things to happen to people God allows rape to happen
Satan Does all evil in the World God sometimes test us Book of Job
So sometime bad things happen to good people

Jews were God choose people God wants us to love other people but put a few laws in the old testament as a stumbling block to trip up us. To see if we love him or not Or do we love manmade tradtions That what Jesus was saying to the Phariasses.

God was telling the jews what to do in a worse case Senario

God is Love

Sorry for the confusion
If GOD is omni-etc., wouldn't HE already know if we love HIM or not , and wouldn't He know our reaction to the "tests" Are you sure there is no other answer to this?
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Tina, I totally agree with you when you say that tests of faith ought to be irrelevant and false if we can presume God is omniscient.

I'd also like to ask, if the Jews were God's chosen people, there to embody the love and caring and grace of God, why would God command them to cast away rape victims because they "tainted" the society? Seems a little messed up to me, and wholly reminiscent of the vile sexism of that era. The concept of "she was asking for it" or "she didn't stop him" that blames the woman for the crimes against her, that still exist in the Middle East today.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Ivellious wrote:Tina, I totally agree with you when you say that tests of faith ought to be irrelevant and false if we can presume God is omniscient.

I'd also like to ask, if the Jews were God's chosen people, there to embody the love and caring and grace of God, why would God command them to cast away rape victims because they "tainted" the society? Seems a little messed up to me, and wholly reminiscent of the vile sexism of that era. The concept of "she was asking for it" or "she didn't stop him" that blames the woman for the crimes against her, that still exist in the Middle East today.
Did you read the provided link at all http://www.answering-islam.org/Shamoun/ot_and_rape.htm :roll:

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Ivellious you said in another thread that you left the church because of these types of passages and that you have reached a new enlightenment concerning God.
How enlightened are you when you consistently fail to understand context or understand exgesis, this does not seem like enlightenment but more like blind ignorance.

What are you running from, God loves you!!

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.