John 7:8-10 Did Jesus lie?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
zackabba1
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

John 7:8-10 Did Jesus lie?

Post by zackabba1 »

In John 8, Jesus says that he would not go up to the feast, yet in verse 10 it says that he went in secret.

Was Jesus lying when he told them he wouldn't go? Because it says that he did indeed go after saying this.
Telstra Robs
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: John 7:8-10 Did Jesus lie?

Post by Telstra Robs »

zackabba1
Familiar Member

Post by zackabba1 »

Oh yeah, I've looked at that one, and a few other places. The "issue" isn't really bothering me much...because I don't think John would put this in there, "Knowing" Jesus was lying.

The only thing that bothers me is the "However" (or "But" in the NASB) at the beginning of verse 10, which makes it go against what he said earlier (that he would not go to the Festival)
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

zackabba1 wrote:In John 8, Jesus says that he would not go up to the feast, yet in verse 10 it says that he went in secret.

Was Jesus lying when he told them he wouldn't go? Because it says that he did indeed go after saying this.
This passage is often lifted up out of context and as well as no attention paid to the original Greek text usage of the words translated in verse 8 ‘not go up’ mean in the context used in verse 8. So people attempt to make Jesus out as lying. He is not.

Look at context of Verse one:

John 7:1, "After these things Jesus was walking in Galilee, for He was unwilling to walk in Judea because the Jews were seeking to kill Him."

The religious leaders (Pharisees, scribes, Sadducees are indentified in John’s gospel - Jews) were seeking to entrap Jesus so they could kill Jesus. It was not the appointed time for this to happen. Next in…

John 7:2-5, "Now the feast of the Jews, the Feast of Booths, was near. 3 Therefore His brothers said to Him, "Leave here and go into Judea, so that Your disciples also may see Your works which You are doing. 4 "For no one does anything in secret when he himself seeks to be known publicly. If You do these things, show Yourself to the world." 5 For not even His brothers were believing in Him."

In verses two thru four speaks of those wanting Jesus to be the warrior messiah and expose himself as such to the Romans and Leadership and basically kick a-- and set up the kingdom of David again. They did not believe He was the real Messiah (God manifest in the flesh) to set people free from sin and death etc… That is why they stated –‘ show yourself to the world…’

John 7:6-8, "So Jesus said to them, "My time is not yet here, but your time is always opportune. 7 "The world cannot hate you, but it hates Me because I testify of it, that its deeds are evil. 8 "Go up to the feast yourselves; I do not go up to this feast because My time has not yet fully come."

The New King James Version, LITV, KJV and a few others translations translate the words used in NASB - Not go up – in a truer rendering of the Greek as – as ‘not yet’ Note the NKJV quote below:

"You go up to this feast. I am not yet going up to this feast, for My time has not yet fully come." John 7:8 NKJV

Notice that Jesus does not say that He is never going to the feast but rather – not yet going up with the crowd – openly as they wanted him to do. Never did Jesus say he was never going up to the feast but rather – not yet going up. There is a big difference between the two phrases. Jesus, knowing what is in each human heart, knew best to go in secret so the people would not make him king before his appointed time (Psalms 2:1-12 and Psalms 72:1-20). So He said – oúpo - not yet - rather than I will not. See the wisdom of this and the shrewdness He used?

Jesus did not lie. He was avoiding entrapment. Sadly - people today still seek to entrap Jesus in his own words...

John: 7:9-11, "Having said these things to them, He stayed in Galilee. 10 But when His brothers had gone up to the feast, then He Himself also went up, not publicly, but as if, in secret. 11 So the Jews were seeking Him at the feast and were saying, "Where is He?" NASB

Verses nine thru eleven goes back to verse one indicating that the religious leaders were seeking to kill him and that is why he did not go openly with a crowd who would demand him to act early to set up the Messianic Kingdom prophesized that the Messiah would set up. This commotion would be all that was needed to have him seized by the authorities and thus circumvent the atoning actions later on the Cross and Resurrection. Jesus had a higher calling than be entrapped by men and the devil to act contrary to His purpose and Calling.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
zackabba
Newbie Member

Post by zackabba »

Thank you both for the replies.

The only thing that bothered me was the beginning of verse 10: "however..." (NIV)

It just seemed like John was saying "Well, actually he went against his word here" and said However (or But). If that makes sense.

I think I've got it now, though. Thanks for the help!

(Oh, and I am zackabba, but I forgot the username (and just started using a new computer), so....yeah :)