are there books left out of the bible?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
KingdomSeeker
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

are there books left out of the bible?

Post by KingdomSeeker »

Did catholics add, or did protestants.. take away.. or do you think they never belonged? What are your thoughts.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: are there books left out of the bible?

Post by RickD »

KingdomSeeker wrote:Did catholics add, or did protestants.. take away.. or do you think they never belonged? What are your thoughts.
It would probably depend on whom you ask. I would guess that protestants would say that the added books in the Roman Catholic Bible don't belong. The catholics would probably say that the protestant Bibles are missing something.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jeanleryenierga wrote:Protestants makes the same way as the catholic, and they are hoping to foster love together for God's words. In fact, they are working on the handwritten bible with the Protestants. I think they have just belonged to the catholic.
Is there someone here who has the gift of translating foreign tongues? We need help with this post. 8-}2
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

kmr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by kmr »

I'm certainly no expert on this matter, but for the most part what I've seen is that the books left out were either very irrelevant, poorly supported, seemingly uninspired, or better communicated by the books that are included. Personally, I think that between the Catholic and Protestant bibles, the books left out of Protestant bible were not much needed to communicate God's word, although they are very nice to read as additional resource regardless. They certainly could be included, for what I've seen, at least. I believe, however, that it would be important to look at the books left out of the Christian Old Testament from the Jewish scriptures and see if they have any significant importance.
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
rampstew
Newbie Member

Post by rampstew »

kmr wrote:I'm certainly no expert on this matter, but for the most part what I've seen is that the books left out were either very irrelevant, poorly supported, seemingly uninspired, or better communicated by the books that are included. Personally, I think that between the Catholic and Protestant bibles, the books left out of Protestant bible were not much needed to communicate God's word, although they are very nice to read as additional resource regardless. They certainly could be included, for what I've seen, at least. I believe, however, that it would be important to look at the books left out of the Christian Old Testament from the Jewish scriptures and see if they have any significant importance.

Maybe, just maybe, a bunch of people who believed in the same "Jesus" didn't follow the same scriptures, and maybe they just took what was popular and desirable to the masses.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Maybe, just maybe, a bunch of people who believed in the same "Jesus" didn't follow the same scriptures, and maybe they just took what was popular and desirable to the masses.
Asside from just making an arbitrary statement, what evidence do you have?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
zackabba1
Familiar Member

Post by zackabba1 »

I'll do a very quick and simple answer: no.

There are books like the Shepard of Hermas that can be reliable at points, but aren't divinely inspired (fully).

The extra books in the Catholic Bible aren't divinely inspired, and contradict the rest of the Bible at points.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

zackabba1 wrote:I'll do a very quick and simple answer: no.

There are books like the Shepard of Hermas that can be reliable at points, but aren't divinely inspired (fully).

The extra books in the Catholic Bible aren't divinely inspired, and contradict the rest of the Bible at points.
Okey dokey, we'll just take your word for it.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
zackabba1
Familiar Member

Post by zackabba1 »

Well, I mean, I can tell you why if you need me to.

If not, that's alright too.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

zackabba1 wrote:Well, I mean, I can tell you why if you need me to.

If not, that's alright too.
Then please go right ahead.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

zackabba1 wrote:I'll do a very quick and simple answer: no.

I'd also like to see the proof that the extra books in the Catholic Bible aren't inspired, and contradict the rest of the Bible. Please share your proof.

-Edward R Murrow

ryeguy123
Familiar Member

Post by ryeguy123 »

catholics added the apocrytpha was added to the bible at the council of trent
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

ryeguy123 wrote:catholics added the apocrytpha was added to the bible at the council of trent
Now all you have left to do is prove it.

Seraph
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

I recall being taught in a world history class that the Old Testament books contained in the Catholic Bible not found in the Protestant Bible such as 1st and 2nd Maccabees and Tobit were originally omitted from the Bible Canon in early church history for either not being relevant or for having shady theology but were later added by the Catholic Church at the Council of Trent in retaliation to the Protestant Reformation. The Protestants were beginning to embrace doctrines in opposition to the creeds of the Catholic Church (such as salvation through faith and faith alone) and were citing the Bible to support their claims so the Catholic Church elected to add these books back into their Bible to help rebuke the Protestant's claims.

As for books like the Gospels of Judas and Thomas, those were found to be written by Gnostics masquerading as the Apostles and adding their own ideas to them so they were omitted very early on.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Seraph wrote:I recall being taught in a world history class that the Old Testament books contained in the Catholic Bible not found in the Protestant Bible such as 1st and 2nd Maccabees and Tobit were originally omitted from the Bible Canon in early church history for either not being relevant or for having shady theology but were later added by the Catholic Church at the Council of Trent in retaliation to the Protestant Reformation. The Protestants were beginning to embrace doctrines in opposition to the creeds of the Catholic Church (such as salvation through faith and faith alone) and were citing the Bible to support their claims so the Catholic Church elected to add these books back into their Bible to help rebuke the Protestant's claims.
The only problem with this history is that it is not history at all. These deuterocanonical books were and are part of the Septuagint which dates prior to both the Masoretic text and the Latin Vulgate. The Septuagint was widely used in Jesus' era and often used as a source by Him. To say that the Catholic church added these books is false. If anyone wants to claim that they were added then blame Jesus.
Seraph wrote:As for books like the Gospels of Judas and Thomas, those were found to be written by Gnostics masquerading as the Apostles and adding their own ideas to them so they were omitted very early on.
Who do you think found them to be gnostic writings and, more importantly, why do you take their word for it?