Matthew 24:34 need help with this one

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Swimmy
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Matthew 24:34 need help with this one

Post by Swimmy »

"Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place."

I need a little help with this one. It really does seem like hes referring to the present generation at the time.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Matthew 24:34 need help with this one

Post by cslewislover »

My Believer's Bible Commentary provides two possible explanations. Obviously, it doesn't mean a simple physical generation. (1) It could mean that the generation that sees the rise of Israel, or the beginning of the Tribulation, will see the Lord return. (2a) It could refer to race, which is a legitimate translation of the word; the Jewish race would continue until Jesus returns. (2b) It means the same as #2, but with more meaning, and that is that the national Israel will also continue to be rebellious and reject Jesus until he comes again.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
erawdrah
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by erawdrah »

Swimmy wrote:"Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place."

I need a little help with this one. It really does seem like hes referring to the present generation at the time.

One thing you must do when you read the Bible is read the verses together or what most people call context. If you start reading from the beginning of chapter 24 you will see that the disciples are asking when is the end of the world. Jesus starts by saying Matthew 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. Matthew 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. So now to your verse. The whole context of this passage is the end of the world, and your verse needs to be read in that context.

Matthew 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
This is saying that when a fig tree's branches are soft and is leafing (budding), then you know your are close to summertime.
Matthew 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
As the fig tree indicates summertime is close, these signs will indicate the end of the world is close.
Matthew 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
Those who live in that generation of the signs will see these things fulfilled.
rodyshusband
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by rodyshusband »

My copy of The Apologetics Study Bible (NKJV) cross references this passage with Mark 13:30 and states the following:

"These things" that will happen in "this generation" are the events surrounding the destruction of the temple, about which the disciples asked (vv.1-4). The temple was destroyed 40 years after the prophecy of Jesus, well within the lifetime of many of those present. Jesus, however, also talked about events surrounding His second coming (in vv.14-27, though some scholars admit only vv.24-27 or v.32). The two events are spoken of together because the terror of the first-century Roman invasion of Palestine was viewed as representing the terror of the days leading to the coming of the Son of Man (vv.7-8). Matthew's version of this prophecy makes the point more explicitly (see Mt. 24:2)."
(footnote Mark 13:30, pg. 1495)

I hope this helps.
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer
imoneru?
Familiar Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by imoneru? »

erawdrah wrote:
Swimmy wrote:"Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place."

One thing you must do when you read the Bible is read the verses together or what most people call context. If you start reading from the beginning of chapter 24 you will see that the disciples are asking when is the end of the world. Jesus starts by saying Matthew 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. Matthew 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. So now to your verse. The whole context of this passage is the end of the world, and your verse needs to be read in that context.

Matthew 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
This is saying that when a fig tree's branches are soft and is leafing (budding), then you know your are close to summertime.

Matthew 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
As the fig tree indicates summertime is close, these signs will indicate the end of the world is close.
Matthew 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
Those who live in that generation of the signs will see these things fulfilled.
Correct me if I am wrong as I often am , but didnt I read somewhere in the bible that the generation that see's Isreal return as a nation to Jerusalem from having been dispursed around the world after the distruction of the temple (refering to 1948) would still be alive when Christ returns, or was that some secular writing, or a dream I had??
erawdrah
Recognized Member

Post by erawdrah »

imoneru? wrote: Correct me if I am wrong as I often am , but didnt I read somewhere in the bible that the generation that see's Isreal return as a nation to Jerusalem from having been dispursed around the world after the distruction of the temple (refering to 1948) would still be alive when Christ returns, or was that some secular writing, or a dream I had??

When people read that passage, they identify the fig tree as "Israel" and then add that to the mix. People claim that when Israel became a state (1947-8) that started the generational count down. Then some people said that Israel didn't have Jerusalem until 1967 so the count down starts there. Then, of course, you must know what a "generation" is in this case. So have said 40yrs - 90yrs. I don't think anyone really knows. That's even stated in the following verses (Matthew 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.) There are better "thermometer" to see how close we are to Jesus' second coming. The biggest one is the falling away of the church or the lukewarm church of Laodicea. The others are a one world government and global currency.

2 Timothy 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2 Timothy 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
2 Timothy 4:5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

2 Peter 3:3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
2 Peter 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
2 Peter 3:5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
2 Peter 3:6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
2 Peter 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
2 Peter 3:11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
2 Peter 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
2 Peter 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Know you are ready!
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

It just seems to me that Jesus is speaking of the generation that will be alive when all those events start to happen. The context is the Olivet Discourse, and it seems that the events in the passage are yet future. Therefore, Jesus starts telling the disciples what all will happen at the time of the end, and in that context, He says "this generation" -- what generation? The generation alive at the end, when all of the things we read about in Matt 24 start happening. I don't think it has anything to do with Israel becoming a state in '48; that's just a fact that date-setters like to focus on. Remember the whole argument that Jesus had to come back by 1988 (40 years=generation; 40 plus 1948 = 1988!) by such interpretations . . .
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Rakovsky
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Rakovsky »

I think the two keys are what are "these things" and who are the people who see the final episodes.

My impression is that "these things" refers to the apostles' initial question to Jesus. And the people are the generation around when the final episodes occur, rather than the apostles.

This is kind of a grammar claim, but it is more of something I noticed. In the initial question the apostles ask when will "these things" happen.