Question About Job 1:6-19

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
For_Narniaaa
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Question About Job 1:6-19

Post by For_Narniaaa »

I remember reading on the Godandscience.org page that some people blame Satan for natural disasters. Rich's response was:
Some have suggested that natural evil was created by Satan and his angels. We reject this argument because nowhere does the Bible suggest that Satan has creative ability or took part in the way the universe was designed.
This made sense to me, until I remembered the book of Job. I came across something interesting:

"Satan replied to the LORD, 'Yes, but Job has good reason to fear God. You have always put a wall of protection around him and his home and his property. You have made him prosper in everything that he does. Look how rich he is! But reach out and take away everything he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!" (Job 1:9-11, NLT)

The italic phrase seems to be Satan suggesting that GOD take everything away. But then God says this in verse 12:

"'All right, you may test him,' the LORD said to Satan. 'Do whatever you want with everything he possesses, but don't harm him physically.'" (NLT)

This time, the italics seem to suggest that it would be Satan causes the disaster.

Disaster does happen to Job. The Sabeans raid and rob him (verse 15). Lightning destroys his sheep (verse 16). Chaldean raiders rob him (verse 17). Strong wind causes a house to collapse and kill his family (verse 18).

So...who caused those disasters? If it was Satan, then doesn't that mean he had some kind of control over lightning and wind? And was the case of the Chaldeans and Sabeans a case of demon possession? Or, did God cause the bad things? If so, why did God say to Satan "you test him"?

Just a tad confused, and I am VERY interested in other opinions, so please share.

"Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge." ~Proverbs 1:7

"The God of the universe---the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor---loves you with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love." ~Francis Chan

Banner credit: arwen-undomiel.com
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Question About Job 1:6-19

Post by Jac3510 »

Of course Satan can cause natural disasters. He is an angel, more specifically a cherub, the most powerful kind. The Bible makes clear that angels are capable of destruction (and some good stuff, too!).

Rev 9:15 has four angels killing one third of all mankind. Gen 19:1 has two angels taking credit for the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. In 2 Sam 24:16, God stops an angel from destroying Jerusalem (also, cf. 1 Chr 21:15). Psalm 78 speaks of "destroying angels", and Paul speaks of the same thing in 1 Cor 10:10. You have an angel killing 180,000 people in 2 Kings 19. You already mentioned Job, but there, Satan caused storms and strong winds.

There are many places in the Bible where angels affect the physical word, both for the good and for the bad. Given the immense power of these beings, and Satan chief among them, I have absolutely no problem with the notion that he can cause natural disasters. It is apparant from Job that if he does, he must do so with God's general permission.

That doesn't mean that he causes all, or even most, of them. But it is ludicrous to say he simply can't. That seems clearly, to me, to go against Scripture.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
For_Narniaaa
Established Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Question About Job 1:6-19

Post by For_Narniaaa »

So basically, God created things like lightning, wind, fire, etc., but Satan can manipulate them. God intended them for good, scientific purposes, but Satan uses them for evil.

Makes sense. Thanks, Jac.

"Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge." ~Proverbs 1:7

"The God of the universe---the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor---loves you with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love." ~Francis Chan

Banner credit: arwen-undomiel.com