Little White Lies vs Big ol' Dark Lies

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Lufia
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Re: Little White Lies vs Big ol' Dark Lies

Post by Lufia »

All i can say is that a lot of time we don't see the consequences of our lie or lies. So when can we say it is a 'good' lie?
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

B. W. wrote:Thanks everyone!

Looking into this matter, it seems that the lying that God hates are of a slanderous nature that bring ruin and destruction into peoples lives - a false witness that breathes out lies...

Proverbs 6:16-19, "There are six things that the LORD hates, seven that are an abomination to him: 17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, 19 a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers." ESV

Proverbs 16 seems to indicate that the lies told that bring harm is what He hates more than anything else. A Lying tongue is in context with haughty eyes and shedding of blood, devising wicked plans, running to do evil seem to indicate that lies that support these things are what God hates.

Rahab and the Midwives did not meet this criterion. They told an untruth in order to protect life. I see a difference but again — I do not have the answer to my own question settled yet. Interesting topic thoe...

Does anyone see a difference?
-
-
-
Yes, I'm with you. I think a "lying tongue" is owned by someone who likes to do it - it's part of their way of life. And that goes for a lot of the other things in the bible that God hates and is unrighteous. We're all sinners and we're going to make mistakes sometimes, but that doesn't mean we have a deceptive heart. Does God honor you when making a choice between the lesser of two evils? I certainly hope so. How can we make perfect choices and decisions when we ourselves are so imperfect, and everything around us is so imperfect? I also think that God honors certain things that may seem to pander to our fallen nature. A pastor told me of how this one lady in Eastern Europe came to Christ after she had prayed for a cigarette, and God miraculously gave her one. Pator Wurmbrand (sp?) tells of how they used pretty Christian girls to get Soviet soldiers to take Christian reading materials.

As for the wives and what they wear business. I'm a woman, and I don't think it's a good idea to even ask your husband or any other male what they think about your clothes. It seems to me that you ought to be able to tell yourself. And, I think it's good to find out what your husband (or even boyfriend) likes and then take that into consideration. So in light of that, I'm not surprised by the male confessions here! :lol:
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Sex: Male

Post by Cross.eyed »

cslewislover,

Thanks, you made me feel good-even if I am stupid.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Lol, you're welcome. :)
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis