resurrection

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

resurrection

Post by jenna »

If Christ was supposedly crucified on a Friday, and supposedly resurrected on a Sunday, how exactly does this fit in with the "3 days and three nights"? :econfused:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Byblos
Old School

Re: resurrection

Post by Byblos »

jenwat3 wrote:If Christ was supposedly crucified on a Friday, and supposedly resurrected on a Sunday, how exactly does this fit in with the "3 days and three nights"? :econfused:
3 days, yes (Friday, Saturday, & Sunday). I wasn't aware of any talk about 3 nights.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
johnt
Recognized Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by johnt »

Let's see the day was almost over since the Jewish day ends at sundown and a new day begins. Friday is the first day, then Saturday and of course Sunday being the third day. Everything I've ever read is "on the third day". So the word "on" is significant in this case.Now go back to the Jewish day and night thing, remember at 3 o'clock when the sky turned dark( into night) and the earth shook upon His death is one night but is still Friday, then the day changes at sundown which becomes Saturday is two nights and finally the day changes at sunset again for your third night. Confusing isn't it?

639 The mystery of Christ's resurrection is a real event, with manifestations that were historically verified, as the New Testament bears witness. In about A.D. 56 St. Paul could already write to the Corinthians: "I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures, and that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the Twelve. . ."491 The Apostle speaks here of the living tradition of the Resurrection which he had learned after his conversion at the gates of Damascus.492
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Byblos wrote:
jenwat3 wrote:If Christ was supposedly crucified on a Friday, and supposedly resurrected on a Sunday, how exactly does this fit in with the "3 days and three nights"? :econfused:
3 days, yes (Friday, Saturday, & Sunday). I wasn't aware of any talk about 3 nights.
Matthew 12:40 "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." IF He supposedly died on Friday, then it would be Friday-Saturday (one day), Saturday-Sunday (two days), Sunday-Monday (3 days).
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
johnt
Recognized Member

Post by johnt »

Jen, re-read my post. On Good Friday, Jesus died at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, but that day actually had two nights. Sunset started that Friday prior to Him being put to death was one night and when He did die that Friday had a second night at 3 o'clock and it was dark when they took him off the cross for they had to hurry to get Him buried before the Sabbath. What I'm trying to say is when the sunset on Thursday it became Friday and it was night. Then Friday it became night before it was actually Saturday because of His death at 3 o'clock that Friday afternoon when the sky turned dark and the earth shook upon His death. G-d was in complete control of the events that day. They dislocated His arm because His hand would not reach the nail hole, once this was done they flipped Him on His face with the cross on His back as another insult and when they turned away He levitated back around and slammed the ground in which Mary Magdalin was the only witness. There after the cross was uprighted between the two criminals and set in a hole.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

So, am I reading this right? From what I gather, you are saying that it was actually THURSDAY when He died, but since the sky had gotten dark (God's work) then it was actually FRIDAY? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it says in Luke 23:44 "Now it was about the sixth hour, and there was darkness all over the earth UNTIL the ninth hour." Doesn't "until" mean that the sun came back out so that it was still daytime? :econfused:
johnt
Recognized Member

Post by johnt »

No I don't believe so. Remeber the day back then according to the Jews started at sunset so you'll have to do it on paper. Sunset Thursday evening is now Friday and so forth. As Far as I understand when it became dark/night upon His death it was counted as a night for Him being the light was now dead and in Hell (darkness). In scripture it never gives a time when it became light or whether it ever became light when he was intured. It does say though that they hurried to have Him buried before the Sabbath which would be by sunset on Friday so your guess is as good as mine to this finite point. I did do some reading on why Good Friday and Easter Sunday are calculated the way it is and got confused unlike Christmas Day that always falls on the 25th. Also it is written that the 2 ton boulder being rolled in place and Roman guards I believe from 10 to 14 were guarding the tomb but there is not a time frame when the boulder is moved, where the guards went nor when they left. Sunday when the women show up ( which could have been in the dark) after the Sabbath to finish annointing the body they are told He is no longer there by Him which they don't recognize but do notice the boulder has been removed, no guards around and leave. I think these actual times were just not felt to be that important considering the total impotance of the whole event. Another thing that isn't talked about much is that after the resurrection the Jews prior to the fall of the Roman Empire are scattered throughout the world again ( driven from the land) by the Romans and do not return until almost 2000 years later 1948 when Israel becomes a state again but have not lost there way of life(culture) no matter how far they had been removed. During the Middle Ages they had been removed or purged from many kingdoms by Christain Kings and of course the ultimate price was the Holocaust. Then after they were given there homeland back. Although it is written they are G-ds chosen people they continue to anger Him and when He has had enough He kicks them out then in time He makes sure to bring them back. I'm afraid this will be the pattern until the end of times when the new universe will be established. Just my thoughts on the subject.
johnt
Recognized Member

Post by johnt »

I honestly think that Frank has a much better grasp on this subject as I have read his paper on the Book of Jobe and he would be better to explain the finer points of this discussion. Frank B. Where are you? This is getting a bit to deep for my pea brain.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Want to go even deeper, John? The day that Christ died was not Friday. I'm going to be back to explain this, but He actually died on a WEDNESDAY. :shock: I'll let you stew on that for a little while, but I will definitely explain it as soon as I get all my info together.
johnt
Recognized Member

Post by johnt »

ready when you are. Is this going to give me a sore head? If so let me know in advance please.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

I hope not. It should all be very simple, if you have an open mind.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

The claim of the resurrection having taken place on a Wednesday or Thursday is based exclusively on the reference to 3 days and 3 nights in Mat. 12:40.

Here's what the following link has to say about that:
It is claimed by some that this prophecy mandates either a Wednesday or a Thursday date for the crucifixion. However it is recognized by scholars that the expression "one day and one night" is a Hebraism used by the Jews to indicate a day, even when a full 24 hour period is not necessarily in view. There are several examples of this seen in the Old Testament. In 1 Samuel 30:12-13 we read of David's men finding an Egyptian: And they gave him a piece of fig cake and two clusters of raisins, and he ate; then his spirit revived. For he had not eaten bread or drunk water for three days and three nights. 13 And David said to him, "To whom do you belong? And where are you from?" And he said, "I am a young man of Egypt, a servant of an Amalekite; and my master left me behind when I fell sick three days ago." (1 Samuel 30:12-13).
The link goes on to lay out a very solid case for a Friday crucifixion (just before the start of Sabbath which would be Friday at sundown) and a Sunday resurrection.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

No, sorry. I don't get what this verse has to do with Christ. But the Wednesday crucifixion is based on more than a single verse. It involves a lot of study of history, as well as the bible.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

jenwat3 wrote:No, sorry. I don't get what this verse has to do with Christ.
What are you referring to here Jen? Mat 12:40 or the quoted part? If Mat 12:40, that's where the reference to 3 days and 3 nights comes from. I'm not aware of any other place in the NT it is mentioned. If you're referring to the quoted paragraph, it explains why 3 days and 3 nights is a Hebrew expression that simply denotes 3 days (not necessarily 3 24-hour days). David's men thought the Egyptian hadn't eaten for 3 days and 3 nights but he clarified that he had fallen ill 3 days ago (no mention of any nights, making the two terms equivalent).
jenwat3 wrote:But the Wednesday crucifixion is based on more than a single verse. It involves a lot of study of history, as well as the bible.
I look forward to your explanation and where and why it contradicts what is stated in the link I provided.

jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Ok, Byblos, I read the link, and it does reference some of the points I am about to make here. (See next post)