Romans 3:7

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Romans 3:7

Post by Christian2 »

Romans 3:5 But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unjust who inflicts wrath? (I speak as a man.) 6 Certainly not! For then how will God judge the world?

7 For if the truth of God has increased through my lie to His glory, why am I also still judged as a sinner? 8 And why not say, “Let us do evil that good may come”?—as we are slanderously reported and as some affirm that we say. Their condemnation is just.

What is Paul trying to tell us? Is he admitting a lie of some sort? If so, what is the lie?

Thank you.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Romans 3:7

Post by Christian2 »

OK, do any of you think Paul is posing a hypothetical question? When he mentions "my lie" he is not referring to a lie of his own, but presenting an argument and then knocking it down?
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

I would agree with your thoughts on that.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

G'day C2 :)
Perhaps Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary may help to throw some light on these verses.
Look here if they are still of interest to you.
FFC
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Judah wrote:G'day C2 :)
Perhaps Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary may help to throw some light on these verses.
Well there you are, Judah, I was beginning to think that you and fortigurn were the same person. Both having a wealth of information and both from down under. :lol:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

What the..?? !!! :shock:

FFC, behave yourself. You are a very cheeky young man. :D
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Judah wrote:G'day C2 :)
Hi Judah,

I found a good explanation in a book I bought on Romans and here it is:

Keep in mind that Paul is carrying on an argument with an imaginary objector. This is how the conversation plays out.

Objector: You say that there is no difference between Gentile and Jew and they are in exactly the same position.

Paul: By no means.

Objector: What is the difference?

Paul: For one thing, the Jews possess what the Gentiles never directly possessed, the commandments of God.

Objector: Yes. But what if some Jews disobeyed these commandments and were unfaithful to God and came under His condemnation? You say that God gave the Jews a special position and a special promise. Now you say that at least some of them are under the condemnation of god. Does that mean that God has broken His promise and shown Himself to be unjust and unreliable?

Paul: Far from it. It does show that there is no favoritism with God and that God punishes sin wherever He finds it. The fact that He condemns the unfaithful Jews is the best possible proof of His absolute justice. He might have been expected to overlook the sins of this special people, but He does not.

Objector: OK, but what you have done is to succeed in showing that my disobedience has given God an opportunity to demonstrate His righteousness. In other words, my unfaithfulness has given God a great opportunity to demonstrate His faithfulness. My sin is, therefore, an excellent thing. It has given God a chance to show how good He is. I may have done evil, but good has come of it. You surely can't condemn someone for giving God a chance to show His justice.

Paul: An argument like that is beneath contempt. You have only to state it to see how intolerable it really is.
FFC
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Judah wrote:What the..?? !!! :shock:

FFC, behave yourself. You are a very cheeky young man. :D
Hi Judah! :lol:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?