God of the old and new testaments...

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

God of the old and new testaments...

Post by Prodigal Son »

God in the old testament seems harsher than he does in the new testament. someone told me that there really wasn't a difference but didn't really explain this any further, so i'm still wondering about it? why does he seem so different?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I assume it is because He is dealing with His chosen people only in the old testament. Jesus came for the entire world, and God did not make a covenant with the entire world.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

colors,

This has been responded to quite thoroughly at http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... .php?t=108 and an answer to a more specific case often pointed out by hardened skeptics (i.e., the Midianites) can be found at http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... .php?t=156.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

God is only harsh to those who don't obey. In the Old Testament, the majority of people were pagan and there was a struggle even among the Jews in defeating that mentality. However I have yet to see God anywhere in the bible treat someone who obey's him harshly, aside from the usual tests.
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

Post by Prodigal Son »

thanks!
JBirdAngel
Recognized Member

Post by JBirdAngel »

I've not read much of the OT, working on the NT mostly, and the beginning of Genesis, in the plagues of Egypt as well as the closing of Eden i first thought that there was just wrath there, but i see love in both instances, in Eden He made Adam and Eve clothes they didnt need, and in Egypt the reason there were so many plagues is because at first God just asked for a peaceful soultion but was pressed by the Egyptians saying no until all the plagues occured.

At this point my biggest misunderstanding i guess in the OT with God, is Uzzah who seems to have sincerely been trying to do God's will, the oxen stubmled the Ark of the Covenant tottered i believe and Uzzah reached his hand out to steady it, truely seeking to do God's will, God did command it not be touched, but Uzzah may have sincerely thought the Ark would fall, perhaps in the mud, perhaps break, so why was Uzzah killed instantly with no chance to repent or anything? Thank you.

Also one article i read said that in the OT God is preparing a nation to be the birthplace of Christ and to spread His message, and in the NT Jesus is talking on an individual level.

An example used was that Jesus said to turn the other cheeck, but that in John 18 something someone slaps Jesus and Jesus challenges the man as to waht authority he has to slap Jesus rather than turning the other cheek.