Open Theism

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
In God We Trust
Acquainted Member

Open Theism

Post by In God We Trust »

Here are a couple of verses that (would) imply Open Theism.
Genesis 6:6 (TNIV)
The LORD regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.
1 Samuel 15:10-11 (TNIV)
[10] Then the word of the LORD came to Samuel: [11] "I regret that I have made Saul king, because he has turned away from me and has not carried out my instructions." Samuel was angry, and he cried out to the LORD all that night.
What i basically want to know is, is there anyway to explain away these verses, without making it look like it supports Open Theism, and without making it look like God is lying? I'm sure there are other verses that i'm not aware of, but i figure that in the same way i can explain away these verses, i can explain away the others. I have asked others to help me explain away these verses, but didn't get much help.
Turgonian
Christian: No

Post by Turgonian »

Does God Change His Mind?
JP Holding wrote:Gen. 6:6-7 -- This (along with another, 1 Sam 15:11, regarding God "repenting" over the choice of Saul) is the primary hinge point of the skeptical argument alleging contradiction. But let's look at that word "repent" more closely. Strong's gives this definition:

5162. nacham, naw-kham'; a prim. root; prop. to sigh, i.e. breathe strongly; by impl. to be sorry, i.e. (in a favorable sense) to pity, console, or (reflex.) rue; or (unfavorably) to avenge (oneself): --comfort (self), ease [one's self], repent (-er, -ing, self).

Now here is a question: Is it not possible to grieve and feel sorry over something -- even if we know that it is going to happen, even if we cause it to happen? Of course it is. And there is no reason why this cannot also apply to God, as we shall see.
I don't always agree with Holding, since he isn't a Calvinist, but this is probably good enough as an explanation. Apparently, God grieves over the deaths of lost sinners, even though those deaths were necessary.
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
In God We Trust
Acquainted Member

In Response to Turgonian

Post by In God We Trust »

Hmmm, i don't know how well that'll work. It doesn't seem like a strong case to me. That, and i'd have to be carrying a KJV Bible along (i like my TNIV Bible), since other Bibles translate that verse differently (without the word "repented"), and, last i heard, NIV is still the popular one.

I see not the word "regret(ted)" in:
5162. nacham, naw-kham'; a prim. root; prop. to sigh, i.e. breathe strongly; by impl. to be sorry, i.e. (in a favorable sense) to pity, console, or (reflex.) rue; or (unfavorably) to avenge (oneself): --comfort (self), ease [one's self], repent (-er, -ing, self).
I have been told that God says such a thing for His Will to be fulfilled, and according to the story His Will does get fulfilled with such help, but it may imply lying--telling others He grieves, but didn't really. This is where i get stuck.

Thanks for you help, though. :)