Jesus' last words?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
hetfield
Familiar Member

Jesus' last words?

Post by hetfield »

Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.
Who: Jesus of Nazareth. Last words according to Luke 23:46 : "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost." (KJV)

It is finished.
Last words according to John 19:30 : "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up his spirit." (KJV)

Eloi, Eloi, lama sabacthani? (God, God, why have you forsaken me?)

The last words (among very few) that are preserved of the Aramaic which Jesus spoke, and the last recorded words prior to his death in the books of Mark and Matthew. (Mark 15:34 & Matthew 27:46)

So which one is it? is this hypocrisy?
"The greatest feeling is looking at something, and wondering how it works-"Albert Einstien.
Swamper
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Jesus' last words?

Post by Swamper »

hetfield wrote:Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.
Who: Jesus of Nazareth. Last words according to Luke 23:46 : "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost." (KJV)

It is finished.
Last words according to John 19:30 : "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up his spirit." (KJV)

Eloi, Eloi, lama sabacthani? (God, God, why have you forsaken me?)

The last words (among very few) that are preserved of the Aramaic which Jesus spoke, and the last recorded words prior to his death in the books of Mark and Matthew. (Mark 15:34 & Matthew 27:46)

So which one is it? is this hypocrisy?
As I understand it, Jesus said all three of these things shortly before dying. I don't know the order in which they were said, but I tend to think that "Eloi, Eloi" came first, then "Father, into your hands", then "It is finished".
Atticus Finch
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by Atticus Finch »

Swamper wrote:
As I understand it, Jesus said all three of these things shortly before dying. I don't know the order in which they were said, but I tend to think that "Eloi, Eloi" came first, then "Father, into your hands", then "It is finished".
This is your own opinion.

I do not find sufficient proof in the difference of those last words ample enough to make a fuss over them. I don't think we should try and make a definite chronology of when each of them were spoken.
Swamper
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Swamper »

Atticus Finch wrote:
Swamper wrote:
This is your own opinion.

I do not find sufficient proof in the difference of those last words ample enough to make a fuss over them. I don't think we should try and make a definite chronology of when each of them were spoken.
You are correct there. I have no evidence for Jesus saying those things in that order other than that it seems most logical to me. I wasn't trying to say that what he said in what order was important, I was only expressing my opinion on the subject.